PDA

View Full Version : Airwork Metro Lightning strike

fastcharlie
3rd Jun 2008, 14:21
Apparently an Airwork Meteroliner ZK-LFT, based out of Wellington, was struck severely by lightning on Monday night. There were major electrical problems along with some large holes under the captains window and somewhere around the tail region.

Anyone heard any news?

hairy
3rd Jun 2008, 19:56
It went unpressurised WLG-AKL yesterday.

randyolddog
3rd Jun 2008, 20:21
Christ, I used to fly that bucket of crap about 4 years ago. It had holes in it then:eek:.

Anyone got a camera at the AA base can take some pics and to post?

Was the old "Horse" steering the ship at the time.:E

Pity that short tub of lard MR rescue Greenburgh from Lifeflight wasnt taped to the Radome at the time of the strike as he always pushing crews to go out in the most dog breath of weather condtions whilst he keeps his fat little fingers and toes warm in his fat little office eating lots of fat little burgers.:ugh::ouch:

To the crew, good work to get that hunk of junk back in one piece.:D

auto throttle
3rd Jun 2008, 23:45
I had the same problem in a Metro about 4 years ago. Lost all electrics, but reset the gens and all came back online. Found about half a dozen very small holes above where I was sitting.

troppo
4th Jun 2008, 00:04
I guess those static wicks work then aye? :}

randyolddog
4th Jun 2008, 03:56
:ok:Come on where are the photos???

Or is it being kept secret:oh:

Was Horse at the wheel or was it the Greek? :}

Got the horn
4th Jun 2008, 21:57
Yeah, got to see some photo's of that! (LFT lightening strike that is, not the Greek!)

FL440
4th Jun 2008, 23:57
The metro seems to have a bit of an issue with lightning for some reason?

Does anyone know why?

Seems to be a stock standard thing to reset gens ASAP. I know someone who had a lightning strike in a B1900d and they had the same thing happen lost electrics, aparently the captains fingers were a blur resetting the gens! :ok:

Good work WLG crew! :D

randyolddog
5th Jun 2008, 08:51
:confused:come on where are the photos?:bored:

randyolddog
27th Jun 2008, 03:44
Did any of the spanners or anyone at AA base take any photos of this at all?????:confused:

Centaurus
27th Jun 2008, 13:24
The metro seems to have a bit of an issue with lightning for some reason?

Usually because the radar is cactus including crook radome with water getting in and the pilot flying blind through CB with useless radar?