PDA

View Full Version : RVSM In AFRICA

four engine jock
3rd Jun 2008, 13:57
I recently found this letter.
Just thought it would be a good topic!!!

Subject: Final implementation for RVSM, in APIRG

IATA has set the final implementation for RVSM, in APIRG, by September 25th 2008. The documents I have received however, do not mention which part or which airway structure will be considered RVSM. Could you kindly specify the RVSM airspace, in particular Africa mainland itself?
As far as implementing RVSM in the African continent, Airlines should strongly oppose such implementation, especially for the sake of Air Safety, which cannot be guaranteed in the continent as it is of now, let alone when RVSM will be in effect, mainly due to the lack of radar and skilled ATC controllers.
Many Airlines have had several air proximity’s in the last three years in Africa, which at least 20 where in the Brazzaville FIR and one the Luanda FIR. Russian aircraft operating without transponders and deceiving ATC on their actual positions generally caused these near misses. The other cause is the non-understanding or lack of ATC. ICAO has been contacted several times about these practices were Russian operators can fly without ATC transponders within particular the Brazzaville FIR and have yet to get an answer from ICAO about this.
IATA wants to implement RVSM in the continent, which will make the airspace in the continent even more hazardous to fly in. Unless these countries, where RVSM will be implemented, have both upgraded equipment (IE radar coverage throughout their entire FIR) and qualified personnel to operate and understand this equipment, I cannot see how RVSM can be implemented in a safe manner.
ATC within Africa has mostly been unreliable and certainly very dangerous; I think the statistics speak for it. IATA In-Flight Broadcast Procedures (IFBP) on 126.9 Mhz has helped traffic throughout the continent where no radar coverage is available far better than the actual ATC over these countries, however it is an IATA procedure and not a mandatory procedure. As experience has shown us, most non IATA operators do not broadcast as per IFBP nor listen out on this frequency.

What are your thoughts????

kotakota
3rd Jun 2008, 17:36
I can hear it now :- " Confirm you are RVSM able ? " " Roger "
Imagine all those Congolese aircraft with their state-of-the-art altimetry !!
Keep looking out the window guys .

four engine jock
3rd Jun 2008, 18:11
I agree regulation and procedures,But who there to inforce it?. When crossing the North Altantic there are tracks and no one crossing them. Going north and south thru Africa there are many crossing Airways, ATC in Central and West Africa needs to be upgraded and local CAA needs to inforce there regulation.
I tend to agree with the guy who wrote the letter, SAFETY FIRST.
But it will be good to see what happens.
I do feel RVSM is good for Africa. Well Good for the BIGG BOYS that is. BA VS AF KLM and so on.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2008, 19:11
Is there enough traffic over central and southern Africa to warrant RVSM?

dynamite dean
3rd Jun 2008, 20:09
Doesnt 'Xtra RVSM' exist within the DRC? - I have had many an Antonov cross over me at less than 1000ft and thats going the same way!

Mobotu
4th Jun 2008, 06:54
FEJ: Great Topic for discussion - my two cents worth.......

Firstly IATA cannot, will not and are incapable of implementing anything anywhere in the world - That's a Fact!
They are just a bunch of self interested airlines such as SAA, KQ and the like who get together once a year to decide how much they can stiff the public and how they can save money - I kid you not (been there, done that and got the teashirt) - some bean counter somewhere in some back office just realised how much fuel they could save with RVSM and surprise, surprise, they come out with this rubbish!
On the other hand ICAO has forseen and recomended the eventual implementation of RVSM over Africa but only where "Traffic congestion" is becoming issue - ie RSA......
For the rest of Africa - we can look forward to more VFR on Top at 350 and Idle descents onto short final at 300kts.....

Oh and by the way - ALL the Antonov's do have transponders - they just never use them - (Now I wonder why?????? - The Truth is Out There!) :mad: