PDA

View Full Version : DSL? press 1 for good thing, press 2 for bad thing

Bear Cub
27th Sep 2000, 05:45
Ever watch paint drying?

My dial up modem is struggling to get 3kb per second...no misprints there. THREE KILO per second.

I've just been offered a deal on a DSL connection - permanent, never log off, 24/7 connection.

Is it likely to be any better - taking into account it will use exactly the same piece of copper wire to shuffle the data backwards and forwards? (whilst I'm using the same piece of copper wire to talk on the telephone at the same time [allegedly]).

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

ORAC
27th Sep 2000, 08:30
I am using ADSL at the moment, status report: connected at 10,000,000 bps. Down load of 6-8 Mb files in a couple of minutes. If you get the bandwidth (divided amongst everyone on the local loop), go for it.

(Press reports state that BT are so far behind the drag curve they are only connecting 1000 people a month!!)

Tallbloke
27th Sep 2000, 16:40
I would suggest another ISP, any of them.

MasterGreen
27th Sep 2000, 17:40
ADSL is excellent, but the bandwidth will only be aqs good as the ISP's pipes. If you can see an ADSL working with your proposed ISP and it flies there - it will probably do so for you as well.

Very slick technology, but there are range and line quality issues. If your line comes upto speed (literally) go for it. You will never look back.

MG

RossMiles
1st Oct 2000, 19:39
Orac,

I heard that BT was now only installing their OpenWorld package for businesses running LAN's/WAN's. The company where I worked for work experience just had a line put it which I then had to connect to the router and install the software for. I found it was very good. Even spread over the LAN.

BearCub,

To you I'd say go for it. I personally would go for BT OpenWorld but it's your choice. BT Openworld business is £100 p/m for 24/7 free connection. BT OpenWorld residential is £30 p/m but isn't being installed in the UK yet.

Ross
[email protected]

ORAC
1st Oct 2000, 22:16
Where I live it is domestic as well. I live in a quiet domestic area, and, it appears, it is MINE, ALL MINE (Cackle of insane laughter!!)

ORAC
2nd Oct 2000, 20:19
RossMiles,

Ross, a question you may be able to answer. When, forwhatever reason, my ADSL fails to log onto the network my system does an automatic reboot without shutting down. If I go in and close the process it runs fine till I try and shut down, then it, again, does a hard reboot. I described this to someone I work with who expressed amazement as, apparently, their son's machine in the USA, also on ADSL, does the same thing.

Does the same thing if I just close down the connection.

System is Win98, all the latest MS patches. Any idea what is causing this and any cure?(edited 03 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ORAC (edited 03 October 2000).]

RossMiles
3rd Oct 2000, 23:54
Orac,

Well I've certainly never heard of that before. What ADSL connection software are you using? I'll scout round a few other people I know using ADSL and see if they experience similar problems.

Cheers!!!!

Ross
[email protected]

ORAC
4th Oct 2000, 00:19
No idea I am afraid, that is my problem. The software was installed by a French engineer who did not leave any instructions. I could not understand him, he could not understand me, The ADSL terminal is an Alcatel Speed Touch Home. I have no hand book or instructions!

[This message has been edited by ORAC (edited 04 October 2000).]

Bear Cub
4th Oct 2000, 16:14
Well, I've gone for it...ADSL will be installed at the end of October - but I'm confused by ORAC's thread...I'm led to believe that the connection will be a 24/7, never-disconnect, connection.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

ORAC
4th Oct 2000, 20:42
It is, but if I am out all day, I turn it off when I leave.

Got it for the speed, not the 24/7. Having said that, it is on every evening and all week-end.