PDA

View Full Version : How much longer will pilot shortage continue?

AllInGoodTime
3rd Jun 2008, 06:08
I know, how long is a piece of string? But, do people think the pilot shortage will continue for much longer? With high oil prices and a slowing in the economy, do you think the airlines will stop recruiting soon?

2dotsright
3rd Jun 2008, 08:05
Many would claim that there is NO pilot shortage at all and I tend to agree

BrokenConrod
3rd Jun 2008, 08:25
Until there is no longer a shortage of pilots!

BC :}

Howard Hughes
3rd Jun 2008, 08:34
By the end of this year the 'shortage' will be a memory and things will stagnate again for a few years!:{

But when things kick off again, they will be talking about how much better it is than 2008!:ok:

The Hill
3rd Jun 2008, 08:35
Just a shortage of pilots willing to pay for a rating.

206greaser
3rd Jun 2008, 08:38
Surely the decreasing numbers of newbies out there would keep it tight for a while?

Howard Hughes
3rd Jun 2008, 08:59
It is demand that will drop, not supply!:cool:

kalavo
3rd Jun 2008, 09:11
Tuesday... bring beer.

VH-XXX
3rd Jun 2008, 09:38
There IS a shortage.

QF Link is currently taking on Trainees for Dash 8 and paying for endo's for Dash 8, MECIR and ATPL for CPL's with only 200 hours SE AND paying $50k+ in the right seat straight after with 4 years return of service.

Still think there isn't a shortage?

Capt Wally
3rd Jun 2008, 09:40
If we knew when it will end (shortage of pilots, if any) then we could plan accordingly.
I believe the bubble will burst by way of cut backs due the fuel price & therefore that will have a direct impact on the shortage, again if there really is one!
As long as the airlines have such a fractured pilot group as we have these days then there will always be the belief it's "them & us"
Good luck to those that secure a job with the majors now, 'cause it won't last!:)

CW

Stationair8
3rd Jun 2008, 09:53
Only two types of pilot the employed one and the unemployed one.

THE IRON MAIDEN
3rd Jun 2008, 10:23
Once all the baby boomers are replaced.
and once all the new aircraft are delivered. ?

my guess, (and its just a guess) another year or so for the airlines to get everyone they need for the next few years. then it will slow.

however, slow number of Australian CPLs will mean that in years to come, the time in GA will be less than before.

AvEnthusiast
3rd Jun 2008, 10:34
Then what do you say about this?

http://www.instruction.greenriver.edu/aviation/employment2.htm

Gearupandorrf
3rd Jun 2008, 10:47
that there are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Why would a Manufacturer highlight a downturn in the forecast requirements for its own product?

FGD135
3rd Jun 2008, 11:57
The first sign of the shortage coming to an end will be capacity cuts by the majors, and we are just starting to see some of those - and we will see more.

That is my view on the situation in Australia.

Good luck to those that secure a job with the majors now, 'cause it won't last!

I think CW means that the recruitment conditions won't last, but in the case of those getting into the majors at the moment (and recently), I regretfully think that it is your new found jobs that won't last! Hopefully I will be wrong.

2dotsright
3rd Jun 2008, 12:12
Actually the shortage of pilots will end with the decision of Tolls management to cut their losses.................:0((((((

Dixons Cider
3rd Jun 2008, 20:33
The shortage of pilots is over, before it even started :eek:

neville_nobody
3rd Jun 2008, 20:43
The shortage is really a product of uncompetitive international wages. If Australian airlines paid enough money there would be an over supply of pilots again as all the expats return. I would love to see the numbers on people who are Oz citizens with Oz ATPL flying for foreign carriers.