PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Vegemite in Hong Kong ?

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 06:02
Are you too sick-to-death of hearing "no stock" when asking for Vegemite ?

Oliver's, Great, Sh!tty Super, Fart-n-Shop, Welcome - the shelves are bare of this taste extravaganza.

Is this another conspiracy to rid HK of the "white-ghost" or is it just another gready local importer ?

Toast just isn't the same any more.

Help

sizematters
3rd Jun 2008, 06:04
yes , we have actually conspired to remove all the noxious vegimite from the shops in hong kong in the hope that all you whinging Oztralian types will get the hint and Bu@#ar off home !!!

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 06:09
and we even trained you how to use a flushing sit down toilet - in one ear and out the other.....

Cpt. Underpants
3rd Jun 2008, 06:26
It's being hoarded by the wives of P&S/(not) Wellcome etc. directors, to create a false demand, driving the price up and facilitating a killing...

Just like the debacle with face masks during SARS.

throw a dyce
3rd Jun 2008, 08:06
They will make genuine copy Vegemite.Made from ''locally sourced produce'' and organically carbon neutral.:ok:
Yum Yum.:yuk:

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 09:20
I take your comments very seriously.
It is not only possible, in this town, it is indeed highly probable.

There is a local version of Hellman's Hot English served in little packets in a certain hole-in-the-wall roast pig place near Prince Edward MTR. It is quite good but lacks the heat of the proper Clive Pompous-Ar$e stuff.

The Cpt could may have hit the nail on the head. This is a speculators dream market after all.

May need to start bringing it in direct - please keep your eyes peeled and report back immediately for signs of the yellow topped jar.

Dan Winterland
3rd Jun 2008, 09:28
Real men eat marmite - the original yeast extract. Similar stuff but a stronger taste due to the fact that yeast extract is really just the rubbish that's scraped off the bottom of the vat when they've finsihed brewing beer. And as British beer is stronger and tastier than the inferior Aussie brews, it's going to be tastier. :ok:

My mate - Marmite!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/180px-Marmite.jpg

Actually, there was an article in the SCMP about the lack of veggie in HK. It appears that Japanese tourists are buying it by the caseload because of the upsurge in popularity in Japan about cooking food with 'umami' - the so called 5th taste. Umami cooking relies on using food high in glutomates (like yeast extract) to enhance flavour. Sounds like the Japanese need educating about the real spread.

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 09:55
Dan - many thx for this and quite educational. But not quite the same suttlety of taste - more of a sledgehammer me thinks.

Also being a Pom (but I did steel a chicken once and have a blue PP as well - the lobotomy scar is fading) I do agree with your ale assessment.

Memsab likes the Vegemite - the only Septic I ever met who does. I may have to ween her accordingly onto your stuff.

Don't tell the Japs.

Traffic
3rd Jun 2008, 11:09
This from a secret sauce....

I understand that Australian athletes have asked the Chinese authorities to allow them permits so they can take, what some might say, is their secret weapon for success at this year’s summer Oympics - Vegemite.

With the Games fast approaching, a directive that the Australian Olympic team must source all food supplies within China has been dubbed the “vegemite ban” by local media.

Me thinks there is a warehouse full of Vegemite somewhere in HK being readied for a quick dash to Beijing.

A quick check on volumes of Vegemite futures on the Hang Seng could well be in order. A cross reference with Marmite availability is also recommended.

It goes without saying that all KA and CX commanders should would an keep an eye on freight manifests for all Beijing flights.

Those Krafty people need watching!

maugrim
3rd Jun 2008, 11:52
I bought mine in Carrefour in Singapore and brought it back with me. MMmmmmm vegemite.

swh
3rd Jun 2008, 13:07
only have about 1kg left now ...

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=27&ContentID=66495

Major-Domo
3rd Jun 2008, 13:14
You only get to go home once every 4 months ? You must work for Cathay .

Teal
3rd Jun 2008, 13:52
Don't tell the Japs.It's been available from some supermarkets in Tokyo for at least 20 years now. My Japanese wife loves it and I know plenty of others there who enjoy it on toast too. Better than Miso soup for breakfast.:}

bekolblockage
3rd Jun 2008, 14:18
In my pantry.

Touch it and I'll break your arms.:E

throw a dyce
3rd Jun 2008, 15:12
Swap ya for some home made rasp jam.;)

kluge
4th Jun 2008, 00:21
B@st@rds - the lot of you..........

hongkongfooey
4th Jun 2008, 01:44
A spokeswoman for one of Hong Kong’s two main supermarket chains Wellcome said suppliers had blamed the shortage on a change of the company that packages Vegemite for export in Australia.
But a spokesman for Vegemite’s manufacturer Kraft told the newspaper the explanation seemed unlikely and promised: “Rest assured we will work to ensure Vegemite is back in Hong Kong as soon as possible”.

The usual BS from local suppliers, whats new :mad:

Hoofharted
4th Jun 2008, 03:02
Is there anyone at all that you can trust in this place.............I mean even just one person? Tinkering with the face masks is one thing, but vegemite!!!!!

Actually for a "group" who are supposed to be "ancient traders" with thousands of year of accumulated business acumen, you would have thought that they would keep the supplies of a great selling article coming. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the penny just dropped, the translation for "clever business" is CANNOT. :ugh:

Airbridge
4th Jun 2008, 05:04
well this thread got me hungry for some vegemite on toast this morning...but only had brown bread to eat it on...the horror!

Urshtnme
4th Jun 2008, 08:06
I'm sure someone here could send you a "care package" of Vegemite.

bekolblockage
4th Jun 2008, 08:55
Swap ya for some home made rasp jam.

Done! Do you do home delivery? :}

throw a dyce
4th Jun 2008, 21:06
Home delivery.Well could do en-route to a GP.:ok:
Or you want a red cross parcel.:)

ZAGORFLY
4th Jun 2008, 22:12
the super car of this kind of product is obviusly italian:

is BOVIS

Is very rare, sold only in a small town of Italy where it was invented within the beer factory own by my uncle that is now called Birra Pedavena .
The new developer don't tell you the content ..(the secret formula was taken away form my uncle safe long time ago) you have to trust, is extract of yeast concentrated and probably the father of Vegemite and cousin of the Marmite (which is too bitter and far from the heaven ).
If you fly to Italy (Rome) perhaps you can find it . The distribution is really small as the production is. Is a product for connoisseurs only. I have born there and rise with this bovis on bread and butter. Pasta Burro e Bovis is better than Risotto with truffles oil indeed. When I arrived in HKG I had to rely on Vegemite only for my palate climax.
I fully understand your mood.
The only negative part of this is that : IS ADDICTIVE
However my American Wife says that a Vegemite-loving Australians will never accept a poor Italian substitute (I disagree)

kluge
5th Jun 2008, 01:34
probably good on Hovis too.......que flat cap and song.........."as good today 'as its always been".

Can't get that either in HK.....sob...sob.

I agree with you ZAGORFLY - when it comes to food (and wine and beautiful women) there is no such thing as a "poor Italian substitute". Politics and productivity is another matter however..........

niceneasy
8th Jun 2008, 22:35
Oh Kluge, you poor fellow....all of those horrible replies! Anyhow, do what we all do (trailing wives, that is), when you see stuff you know is regularly out of stock, like the trusty black stuff, stock up....bit like taking on extra fuel if you cant refuel at x port. Veg has a long expiry date, so buy a year's supply, approximately four or five large jars, and we won't have to hear you whinge for at least twelve months! ;)

ZAGORFLY
8th Jun 2008, 23:32
Kluge, we can't have all in life !
otherways we will be dead in Paradise!

I leave to you productivity and fine politics and I keep my finest cars woman and life style . We can't have all I understand will be too unfair.

kluge
10th Jun 2008, 01:51
niceneasy: Thank you for your kind comments and advice, I'm sure.

Twelve years in HK teaches you to be self reliant and creative in the use of cunning plans, with maybe the option of making a bit of cash-on-the-side too.

Without the liability of "trailing wives", multiple single supply chains have been activated and the brown stuff is in bound tout de suite from global sources.

ZAGORFLY: Don't give up too easily.
I refer you to the Queen song "I want it all" for inspiration.
And thank you for the education re BOVIS. It has been added to all things I love Italian and will be researched for supply on my next trip.

Teal
10th Jun 2008, 02:31
Kluge - this will get you salivating...

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2008/06/09/rhsfeat_vegemite_kids300.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/diet/pilgrims-to-tuck-into-tradition/2008/06/09/1212863524323.html

kluge
10th Jun 2008, 03:06
Classic - I thought it was sneak preview of the Australian team at the Opening of the Beijing Olympics.