PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air T&c

QAR
3rd Jun 2008, 04:50
Just would like to know from anyone at GULF AIR as Im keen to join.

1.what is the pay pack for a direct entry A320 type rated Fo?

2.what is the time to command?

3.what other perks they offer like anuall leave,housing,etc...

4.how is the company CRM?

4.how is life in bahrain?

I hope you guys can give some info and guidance...

Regards

Sultan85
3rd Jun 2008, 05:09
Bahrain??? I hope that you can live with the crazy traffic + the crazy Sudi drunk drivers.
Also sooooo crazy housing price + poor under structural.

boiler
3rd Jun 2008, 05:33
I think Bahrain is better than all the other countries in the region Sultan85. When was the last time you heard dozens of people dead in a traffic accident in Bahrain (recall the AUH-DXB highway accident). In regards to rent, still Bahrain is the cheapest in region (though it is rising). Just ask any DOH, DXB, or AUH resident.

ironbutt57
3rd Jun 2008, 07:07
Bahrain..easy relaxed living..not lots of outdoor activities unless u like boating, or limited 4-wheeling..

GF..command times..folks now in command training range in the 7-9 years range..4 per month for at least the next calendar year..time in servic will drop as current commands continue

Initial command on 320

two-year f.o.'s on 320 now moving on to 330/340 f.o.

dont know the pay package for f.o.'s

CRM? probably best in the region, with a professional, but comfortable working environment..not a "reporting get u in trouble kind of place"

AQP training system in place..designed to train.not chop..very standardized and open..no little vendettas or secrets..you will have your full training syllabus and lesson plan provided to you and your training will be conducted in strict adherence to said syllabus..no "inventive" instructors..

plenty of nightlife if that's your thing

several affordable social clubs for the family with facilities

schools expensive, but good educational standards

driving..some traffic jams..and weekend visitors from "neighboring countries" that wreak havoc on weekend evenings..you will learn a different style of driving..but nothing like Dubai..which is actually frightening most times..

left_to_first_class
3rd Jun 2008, 09:10
Bahrain life is pretty good if you prefer the more relaxed approach to life.
Plenty of good restaurants, bars and cafe around. Housing is getting expensive but quality is good.
It can get boring if you get stuck in a routine so need to escape on a regular basis for a sanity check.
Do you have family or are you single?
Overall better place in my opinion then the other states.

Heleheleyani
3rd Jun 2008, 09:35
you can get more detailed information about the current FO package at

www.ppjn.com (http://www.ppjn.com)

moza
3rd Jun 2008, 14:26
does gulf air hire decs

Mephistopheles
3rd Jun 2008, 15:18
GF have not hired DECs for a long time & have no plans to.

Sal-e
3rd Jun 2008, 19:51
One of the biggest mistake people make is judge the place before having a look at the other GCC places. Although impractical, one way to do it is to have a look around the neighbourhood before deciding. Most would agree that Bahrain has the best overall package compared to her neighbours.

MMS
3rd Jun 2008, 22:21
I agree with Sal-e, but i just wish that GF would recruit. Im still waiting for them to start their recruitment phase.....I also wish they had some boeing aircraft on a sooner delivery date than the 787.

Panama Jack
4th Jun 2008, 08:38
Not exactly sure what is happening exactly today, but crews were told last week that 150-160 pilots needed, basically ASAP. So whether they are interviewing at the moment, or leafing though resumes is unbeknownst to me, but there should be fresh faces here in the very near future.

Ironbutt57's summary is fairly accurate. He forgot to mention the opening of a new waterpark here in Bahrain which is said to be even better than the one in Dubai. There are issues and problems in Bahrain, but overall, life is fairly easy here.

smiling boy
4th Jun 2008, 09:15
dude think other airlines but not gf too much politics

Sal-e
4th Jun 2008, 10:01
smiley face,
politics for politicians. Why would you want to get embroilled in that stuff as a pilot? Just do that flying stuff and you should be fine.

MMS, the figure is 160 in the next year. I think around 30 to 50 will be leaving due retirement/natural attrition etc. So think more along the lines of 190 to 210 pilots required in the next year. So put in that CV.

Che Guevara
4th Jun 2008, 10:08
dude think other airlines but not gf too much politics

Interesting comment from a 'first timer', I wonder if you can elaborate on that for us?
By the way, if you think the other airlines in the Gulf are not affected by politics, you are sadly mistaken.

QAR, I think Ironbutt has a pretty good take on life in Gulf Air and Bahrain, however we are all different and look for different things life so take a 'flying' visit and check it out for yourself if you are interested in applying.

Basically the money is good, nice working atmosphere and not a bad place to live.

Chao

QAR
4th Jun 2008, 10:16
thanks che for your input on GF and life style..

ironbutt has mention a few points but i would like

I have +4000hrs tt and +2000hrs on 320..

1.do you have he inside on how long will take to command is it 7-9 years like a few said?

2.the take home pay how much would be in US and do they give housing allowance?

thanks

Che Guevara
4th Jun 2008, 11:17
Hi QAR

I don't know exactly what the F/Os manage to take home every month, however if you look at this link then you can probably work it out: http://www.ppjn.com
You need to multiply Bahraini Dinars by 2.65 to find the USD equivalent.

Time to command has recently been about 7-9 years however they will be moving faster than this in the near future as there are no more DECs at the moment.

Finally, yes they do give a Housing allowance, mediacl benefits etc.

Good luck

Che

ironbutt57
4th Jun 2008, 16:17
Like Che mentioned, f.o.'s with 6yrs+ now being assessed, and 7-9yrs on course...bear in mind these folks were probably set back by the large influx of the GT DEC's, split GT/GF seniority list, and the subsequent "retiring" of the 767 fleet...but as the commands are now gearing up, i would suspect by 18 months from now, you will see 3-4yr f.o.'s who are aeronautically qualified (enough hours) on the command course...no specific numbers but a recently recalled American Airlines former colleague with 6yrs+ seniority at AA is netting (takehome pay) around 60% of what our f.o.'s here do...and thats without the housing etc...etc...needless to say he's back at a Gulf carrier!

Not too small
5th Jun 2008, 04:02
Hi if you are swiss try to join for management from the beginning you will get it and you will keep you command.
If your not swiss apply for management too you will get it but you be a first officer.
Good luck the more bu:yuk:t you say the higher position you get.

polarus
19th Jun 2008, 20:37
Stay AWAY from GF!!!

Bahrain is nice but a job at GF is a lesson in stupidity! Your fellow pilots for the most part are good to work with BUT you will hate the company. Too long to upgrades, too many crooks, just watch the swipe in and out in the Pink Palace. Crazy, dirty, smelly place trying to make its way into the 1970s ... nevermind 2008.

STAY AWAY IMHO!

tmax
19th Jun 2008, 22:40
Sure you could not pass the intreview!!

NGFellow
19th Jun 2008, 22:49
As regards to GF, does anyone here on pprune have kids going to the Intl schools in Bahrain? It seems like St. Christopher's is quite popular, however, the tuition is around 900 BD per term (3 terms= 2700 BD plus plus). The allowance listed is BD 1500. Is that total or per school going child? Either way you have to fork out a minimum of 1500BD per year per child out of pocket.

Also the housing allowance of 750BD equals to around USD 2800. Is it fair to say that a truly nice 3-4 bedroom villa will run you around USD 4,000?
Plus utilities.

Is there a pension plan or retirement? Not listed on the pjn website.

Thanks.

Panama Jack
21st Jun 2008, 10:07
Sadly, no pension plan or retirement scheme at Gulf Air for non-GCC nationals, only an end-of-service indemnity, so you will have to do your own retirement financial planning.

Fortunately, if you are keeping your costs of living in check, maintaining regular contributions to some sort of scheme of your choosing is very possible. I deal with Zurich International, and until now have been very pleased with this arrangement.

Although I am very pleased overall with my T's and C's at Gulf Air, this is an area where the Company could improve. I believe Emirates has some sort of a scheme although I am not very familiar with the conditions.

At the same time, I do take some satisfaction with knowing the score and doing my own planning, after seeing what happened to pension plans at a number of US Carriers, where guys for years thought that their T's and C's package included a pension plan, but their company used that money for daily operations and when Chapter 11 rolled around, the piggy bank was actually empty. I am surprised that lynch mobs were not formed.

Che Guevara
21st Jun 2008, 12:21
NG
The schooling allowance has increased but will not cover 100% for sure. The problem in the Gulf is that 'independent education' is a huge business, captive market etc. The overseas allowance for boarding schools is still quite good, depending on which country you send them to of course.

Houseing allowance is adequate in comparison to one or two other Gulf airlines, however the whole face of this has beeen changing so fast throughout the Gulf where greedy landlords are having their day with little legislation to protect the tennant...rip off the expat syndrome I suppose, but hey, we chose to come here so.

I don't know what your standard of living is or what your interpretation of a 'truly nice 3-4 bedroom villa' is. However I personally have what I think is a 'nice' 3 bedroomed villa with an adequate garden with access to a squash court, tennis court and a pool...no golf course though...I pay 650 BDs for this at the moment.
PS... if you are smart you will have a 'truly nice 4' bedroomed house or two in your own country...this is after all why we become expats is it not.

EPR set and others

One Year Basis Salary added towards final settlement. Egilibilty period for this is minimum 3 years with the company.

This statement is incorrect. It should read; one months basic salary for every year of service I think. This is quite similar to what a lot of expats are given in the Gulf. Emirates have a ''provident fund', however if the bottom falls out of it, they will get a minimum of their 'end of service benefits', which I believe to be the same as I outlined, or similar.

Chao

NGFellow
21st Jun 2008, 13:45
Thanks for the informative posts. Are you guys F/O's or Capts? How many hrs do you average monthly, and how many days off, overnights on average. Is all the training done in Bahrain?

Trader
21st Jun 2008, 17:11
Be VERY careful with housing. You will NOT find something nice for 650BD. A few years ago you would have but the rents have gone up considerably. When I left we were paying 620BD/month and the new tenants are paying 800BD - and I owuld say our house was OK. It certainly was not fancy. If you are serious about GF bring your wife for the interview and try and spend a few extra days. Call an agent and spend a few days looking at housing - what is available, where and how much. THEN make the decision with your wife.

Idemnity - you get half a months pay for each of the first 3 years. After that you earn one month of pay for each year of service. If you leave within 3 years you get none of it. If you leave between 3 and 5 years you get half of that. After 5 years you get the full amount (ie. 1/2 month for the first 3 years followed by one month pay for each successive year).

Expect schooling to go up 10-15% a year.

Che Guevara
21st Jun 2008, 18:33
Trader, I thought you left...
I guess I don't live 'somewhere nice' since I only pay 650 BDs, perhaps not up to your standards, but I can assure you it is quite 'nice' and there are many more who live in 'nice' houses in the 700 bracket, perhaps you were'nt invited to visit, wonder why, oh well.....adios.

Noticed you have started 'dogging' EK already....good luck, we don't miss you.

Sal-e
21st Jun 2008, 18:47
Good riddance Trader. Us who've decided to stay do so by choice. Stay where you are and continue being the bitch that you've proven to be.

Spirit
21st Jun 2008, 21:02
Whoa, Big fellas, let's hold them horses now...

What I believe, Trader is saying is, that whatever acommodation we are living in, would have to be rented at a substantially different price today, compared to what we are paying now, provided we initiated the renting of it maybe 2 years ago.

There is, I believe, something written somewhere about prices under the same contract only allowed to be raised by 10% on renewal.

I'm paying 550 BHD for my 3-bedroom'er, but have recently been told, that should I start renting it today, the price would be nearer to 800 BHD.

I'm kinda sorry for the harsh replies towards Trader on this account, because I don't think, he might be that far off...

bird dog
21st Jun 2008, 22:15
I also think Trader is 100% right!! I live in a OK 3 bedroom villa and I pay BD650, it is a 2 years old contract and if you want to sign a new contract for the same one it will be BD 800. By the way Trader has always been very honest and by no means bitching in his previous posts; I witnessed by chance he trying ask managers about issues and then posting on pprune. Very professional in the way he posted here, totally different than the majority of people spreading nonsense rumours. If the truth is not honourable for GF, then it is not his fault...

Trader
22nd Jun 2008, 01:13
Che - as I said, if you have been there for a few years and with the increased housing allowance your house will be covered. One 10% increase and even you will be paying out of pocket. For the new guy just joining it will be difficult WHICH is why I suggested he actually look around. If he can find something suitable - great. If not then at least he and his family can make an informed decision.

By the way - not dogging EK at all. Happy as hell I made the move and would never look back. But then again I never hid behind a handle on pprune.

Sal-e - hmmmmm..OK I see. If you leave you're a bitch. That kind of logic will get you a long way.

ironbutt57
22nd Jun 2008, 05:27
With proper shopping, and a bit of "right time right place" luck it is possible to find decent accomodation within the allowance figures....but as a general rule, you will probably have to make a personal contribution above and beyond the amount....and I would submit that this is the case with ALL employers here in the gulf..reading these pages it looks like the EK housing utopia is crumbling as well...and the fellows west of there have had issues from day one...

At least here in BAH one doesnt have to pay the year in advance, and rental properties do come with the appropriate fixtures and basic amenities...:ok:

tbaylx
22nd Jun 2008, 05:30
Trader was there a long time before you and knows what he's talking about...just cause a guy left the company doesn't mean he can't provide factual information.

GF has it's good and bad points like all the others...at least let a guy who has been there make an educated statement without jumping down his throat cause he left for what was a better opportunity for him. Getting tired of you jumping to GF's defense every time a guy who isn't there anymore has something to say..give it a rest. Their opinions are just as valid as yours.

Bombay HF
22nd Jun 2008, 05:57
IB during our time in Bahrain we made friends with people in the Finance business as well as a couple involved in engineering and their employers coverered their accomodation costs 100%, often in 1000BD + villas.

Sal-e before you get your command i hope that do something about your anger management issues otherwise you'll make a terrible Captain. You have a long history on this forum of abusing people for simply having a view contrary to your own.

ironbutt57
22nd Jun 2008, 06:14
Yup I remember the day when I had a very nice villa on a nice compound for 550BD...and marvelled at the "banker's compounds" where people paid an astounding 1000-1200 bd per month!....the same house at my former compound now goes for that! (and the house is 5yrs older as well) my my how times change...and not for the better..but at least the GF housing "contribution" I'll call it pays a much higher percentage of the rent, and in fact like Che mentions..you still can find decent places within the limits..but one must know how and where to do it...not as easy as it was before for sure...but better than the UAE

brassplate
22nd Jun 2008, 06:48
Bombay HF,
i hope you're not gonna be assessing ppruners for command eligibility. a lot will be ducking for cover.
tbaylx,
are you really getting tired of people speaking their mind?
Sal-e,
how long you been at gf? one, two years? i can see it's starting to have an affect on you. better get some r&r before it's too late.

DesertHawk
22nd Jun 2008, 06:48
tbay....understand what u are saying. SAL-E comments are not valid this time. I think the more relevant point is that people in general are sick of Traders continual negative comments about GF and our future. Whether he is right or wrong is not the point. For instance look at the post the other day about the article on GF. Totally uncalled for bashing and imop unprofessional. I understand that "Trader" has some expereince here and would like to share it, ie housing, which as a new comer I would appreciate. Other than that his opinion on our future and how GF runs should be kept to himslef.

Che Guevara
22nd Jun 2008, 17:34
Hey Trader
Sorry I was so abrupt ....had a long long day. You were spot on with your info re. the indemnity by the way.
The rest of it, well I could have taken it the wrong way I suppose, however, like IB says if you look around, you can still get a 'nice' place for the amounts quoted.
By the way, we all use handles on this board, and no I don't have to hide behind mine thankyou, be glad to speak to you next time I see you. Quite frankly, some of us are just a little tired of people that have left coming back on to slag / dog GF etc. if only to justify their decisions I guess. The very same people who came looking for jobs, type ratings or what have you, saw another opportunity and took off, well good luck to them all, all we wish is that they would move on and stop bothering us. Last but not least, the bond jumpers....well nobody held a gun to their heads as far as I know, they made an agreement, willingly signed a contract and then broke it, in most cases this is simply not right I'm afraid.

Those of us that work here and have stayed here like the place obviously and just want to get on with it. We are all aware of the chinks in the armour, but as you probably know by now, there are serious 'chinks' even where you are.

Anyway, good luck.

Chao

brassplate
22nd Jun 2008, 21:20
i guess that is the sentiment of most who stayed behind at gf, simply fed up of ex-gulfairies bad mouthing the company of their choice. in particular, the bond-jumpers who knowingly signed a bond but with the very intention of bailing when they got some time up.
Trader has been a reasonably balanced source of helpful info for most. keep it up. ease up on the chap guys.

Trader
22nd Jun 2008, 21:37
Che - fair enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers for that. The point of my entire post was to tell the guy to take a look at housing with his wife. Get out and look around and see what you can get. IB is right with some luck you will find something and maybe that something is acceptable to the wife (which is usually the final authority :) )

DeserHawk - if you look at all my post regarding GF the vast majority are positive. I did and still do like GF - just was not for me because I could never trust the future. My post the other day was not to slag those guys who are still at GF because I hope things work out well for them and, for that matter, all the pilots at GF. We're all the same regardless of where we are - trying to make a living as best we can. Having said that, I still believe that, outside of GF Flt Ops, the place is a mess and my 'other' post was a response to the article in that vein.

As for keeping opinions to ouselves - it is a forum and I simply responded to what I believe was a rather funny article. Even in that post I said that GF will survive - so it certainly is not harsh and there is most certianly no intent to 'hurt' the pilots at GF.

Again, as I said above, my advice to the guy was to come and look at the housing situation himself. TOO many of us did not and got caught in the process. And that, simply put, was my advice to the guy. Simple really.

brassplate
23rd Jun 2008, 20:11
23 and a half months basic pay.

DesertHawk
24th Jun 2008, 15:44
Trader I understand u are not really trying to slag the pilots. My point is most of your posts are double sided. ie. i hope u guys do well but.....

And to be honest for someone who was right in the office when u were here you sure have a lot to say about how bad things are done. Not that this is inaccurate just a tad hypocritical. I am sure you did not tell BN how he was not a selfrespecting manager because he worked at GF as you stated in a previous post. If this was the case then why were you so keen on getting in the office? My whole point is comment of GF's housing all you want or even lifestyle etc,,, but keep your low blows on everything else to yourslef becasue it sounds like u have sour grapes.

"The fact that GF managed to do ANYTHING should be celebrated!!! The Pink Palace is the poster child of everything NOT to do on running a company or an airline."

To me this sounds like someone who has a grudge..... we all wish you well on your move and would never dream of being condescending about EK out of respect. Just asking for the same professionalism back. Good luck:ok:

Trader
24th Jun 2008, 19:18
Actually, if you read my other posts I do mention that Flight Ops is run well. CC is, from what I hear, doing a great job, and BN always did as well. But the other departments in HQ are what I was referring to (staff travel, HR etc). It is these 'other' areas of GF that pull down flt ops and the upper brass from doing their job. If flt ops was run like some of the other dept's aircraft would never get off the ground - that's a testement to the people in flt ops - including BN!

No grudge at all by the way. I enjoyed GF and would still be there if the situation was different. I think the one post based on the article (the one you quote) is the only post where I was double sided. Yup, it was harsh but it was more a reaction to the article itself and what the author was trying to portray.

My response to the post about housing was right on - go take a look yourself with an agent.

I have too many good firend at GF to wish it ill. Besides that fact, as I stated before, we are ALL in the same boat- trying to make a living and I don't want anyone, anywhere to lose their job (been there- done that).

DesertHawk
25th Jun 2008, 06:24
never once questioned your housing statement. And sorry in a previous post u directly stated that no self respecting managment personnel would be at GF. And by the way if my memory serves me right that whole post was about Flt Ops and the future. To me that is way overlimits considering how you operated when you were at GF. That is not saying anything negative just stating fact. My whole point is that you have made way to many comments on things that are best kept to yourself and mates over beers. NO ONE wants to hear how GF is a joke and how we are bound for countinual turmoil from someone who left running if you get what I mean. Especially when times are looking so good for GF and the people that "stuck it out" are revived and cautiously optimistic.

Trader
25th Jun 2008, 09:10
DH - about that you are right! I should have commented on the author of the article and not GF. Fair enough. Having said that I believe that was my only negative post about GF (don't know where way too many comments come from) and it was NOT negative about upper management - which I think was clear. It was negative about the government (and I should have said the BOD - or at least the old BOD).

The post that you referred to was also cautiously optimistic. The changes are GREAT for the pilots (ie. 340-500) and they should be bloody happy - which was the intent of the last sentance of that post. Pay raises, new aircraft, new routes etc are all a nice change for GF and the boys deserve it.

In any case, one negative post is all I left regarding GF and will be that last. For the record I can't find one post I made that was simply negative for the sake of being negative save this one. If there are negative posts they are all in response to one or two particular issues and the responses are relevant to that topic.

As for how I 'operated' well I am not sure what that means. I applied for a position, didn't get it and then did some work on the pay issues. No politics on my side and blunt honesty in the room when pay was discussed.

Anyway, I think I figured out who you are DH and considering the many converstaions we had I think you know we are on the same wavelength - ie. no ill-will on my part for anyone who is still at GF or for GF itself.

Having said all that I can certainly apologize for the tone of the post I made since I can see how it 'spoils' the nice changes that are happening. I could have written it in a much better way.

Trader
25th Jun 2008, 09:21
Ahh - just found the one other post you referred to:

The majority of CEO's have a specialty. Whether in aviation or outside they often come with a background from finance, marketing or operations. Their area of expertise tends to lie in one area or another. So to expect B Naf to understand all the nuances is a bit much.

But a good CEO at a successful company will surround himself with highly competant people in every area - specifically those he is weak in. This is what GF has NEVER done. GF has always promoted and hired based on whether someone was Bahraini and, in Hogans day, if he was Austrailian. In every case connections played the primary role.

So now they confirm the CEO but say his right hand man has to be Bahraini - same old same old. Hamstring the the CEO.

On the other hand no self respecting manager would take a job at GF any longer because it reputation is too well know.

I thought it was obvious in the statemant that 'manager' reflected the position of CEO which the thread was discussing. No comment intended on flt ops management - which I have always been positive about.

Even in this post I don't 'slag' BN or upper management - it is the opposite. I commented negaitively on the BOD and government.

Anyways, 42C outside and time for a swim!!! :}

SubsonicMortal
25th Jun 2008, 09:29
IB57's quote:two-year f.o.'s on 320 now moving on to 330/340 f.o.

I have been here now for 2 years and 6 months exactly. It sounds pretty reasonable to say that there will be no A320 FO fleet transfers happening before October/November. So, 2 years to 330/340? Yeah right.

Also, heard a rumour that the company has been in touch with contractors to provide DE 330/340 FO's because they are too short on 320 FO's to release anyone for a transfer. This is one of the many reasons why people leave. And they still remain baffled...

desert storm
25th Jun 2008, 09:55
Its quite hard to understand GF.
They almost kicked out some 200 pilots last year, saw many of them on recruitment interviews in the gulf area and all said the same thing: "they decided to downsize the airline", and now less than 1yr later they start hiring again close to same numbers...
Go figure!

Krinkle
25th Jun 2008, 10:24
"They almost kicked out some 200 pilots last year, saw many of them on recruitment interviews in the gulf area and all said the same thing: "they decided to downsize the airline", and now less than 1yr later they start hiring again close to same numbers..."

Yeah - the most pointed part of the article posted elsewhere doesn't look like it's on their site.

It was basically a table listing the contradictions in the last year

eg

Dose: "We need to downsize the airline"
Gulf Air buys 40-50 aircraft

Dose: "Aircraft from two manufacturers adds complexity and costs"
Gulf Air orders new planes from both Airbus and Boeing.

Dose: We can't keep losing money
Now: We will be losing money for the next five years.

Here's hoping it's the right path now!

brassplate
25th Jun 2008, 11:08
i think it is inevitable DEfos will be required for the above A330 expansion reasons. they did this as early as a year and a half ago...and very badly in some instances in that some of the f/os they brought in didn't even have the experience other f/os in the company already had.
i hope this will be done ONLY after every possible option (and prospective line f/o) had been looked at.
in all fairness to gf, fleet expansion cannot be slowed down due to lack of experienced pilots.
a problem i foresee is a lack in experience of f/os in seniority number 80 onwards, hence the possibility of the need for DEfos in the interim for the big busses.
the company would be wise to consider the repercussions of resorting to DEfos. a good compromise might be to have them employed on contract with a clearly defined end period.
i think at worst, using DEfos may set back progression from the 320 to the 330 by around 10 months.

DesertHawk
25th Jun 2008, 12:43
not so sure about expereience of 80 onwards as not in that group. as far as i know most expats and everyone i know has enough expereince especially to be transfered to 330/340. almost all have the 4000 tot that is required for cpt upgrade. And as far as i know there are no requirements for 330/340 transfer. We will run into a little trouble with some of the new cadets but hey that is the nature fo the beast as they will have their day.

SubsonicMortal
25th Jun 2008, 15:52
...a problem i foresee is a lack in experience of f/os in seniority number 80 onwards, hence the possibility of the need for DEfos in the interim for the big busses.

Brassplate I invite you to go have a look again at the FO's with seniority levels above 80. You will find more than a dozen with ATP's, TT over 4000 and over 1500 hours on the damn mini bus! I think it is fair to assume these guys will get severely pissed off when the company hires 330/340 DEFO's for the SECOND time since they have joined.

I will not stand for it and was quite happy to build a career with GF. With this bull$hit on the the rise again I am sadly but surely exploring other options.

brassplate
25th Jun 2008, 16:26
SubsonicMortal,
i'm in total agreement with you re using DEfos. i certainly would prefer my fair promotion to the bigger bus.
the couple of dozen f/os after #80 that you mentioned who have met all the requirements will nearly be all expats. this figure was only an estimate as i didn't have the reference at the time.
i stand corrected as the vast majority below #80 will be struggling to even come close. therein lies the problem which may necessitate the services of DEfos.
i only hope gf sees these 'couple of dozens' and utilise them before considering the DEfos. of course they may think along the national intereset and hire the DEfos for such time as is necessary for their nationals to acquire the requirements (should take around 5 to 8 years). just have to wait and see.

DesertHawk
25th Jun 2008, 17:25
Trader undestood:) and by operated i mean u were in office therefore not appropriate to comment on ongoings in office on here. I just thought that was childish. Overall we are on same wave length.

brassblate. guys under 80 what will they struggle for? there are absolutely no requirments for Fo to transfer from 320 to 330? so what is the issue? Some newbie locals may have trouble upgrading in time but to me that is a good sign of how fast things are moving. Other than that i htink most guys will have no problems when it comes to requirements. Please fill me in if i am missing something.

brassplate
26th Jun 2008, 00:55
gf brought in DEfos last time for no apparent reason. now, we have patches of inexperience scattered throughout the seniority and more reasons for them to justify such an action. what will irk me most is if the guys with the experience don't even get looked at. ek brings in DECs, possibly for the sole purpose of causing dis-unity amongst the pilot group. i hope gf does not follow this line of thought. with the availability of re-furloughed pilots from the u.s, it might be time to NOT give a ****e what the littlings think. i'm hopeful things haven't gotten that way yet in the secret enclaves of the pink palace where these outrageous ideas are conjured up.

ironbutt57
26th Jun 2008, 01:06
To all you "naysayers...(did I spell tht right?)...GF is determined and bending over backwards to upgrade from within...and implementing a "no DEC" policy....but we all know...never say never.....but to our credit....here in the gulf....who has taken the fewest DEC's last two years.....we have a wealth of qualified f.o.'s....and are capitalizing on that....laugh at us as you like..small fleet...blah blah..we have the best training system going.AQP..(look it up)...and a REAL seniority system...that IS being adhered to....bigger ain't better always is it....

Bombay HF
26th Jun 2008, 04:48
Just as well for you that wasn't the policy when you joined IB;)

DesertHawk
26th Jun 2008, 09:13
we will see what happens hope fopr the best boys

dundem
14th Jul 2008, 20:17
Would you GF A320 F/Os please share how much a typical take-home paycheck is and what your schedules are like.

Thank-you.

Sal-e
16th Jul 2008, 00:26
This has been beaten to death, dundem. Don't be lazy and do a search!

dundem
16th Jul 2008, 05:29
I did do multiple searches and after 90 minutes I posted the request. The latest info that I found was posted Dec 2007. I shouldn't have to explain why I should want more current info. Thanks, however, for taking time out of your very busy day to post a useless reply. You must be fun to to be around.

brassplate
16th Jul 2008, 12:36
you will need a lot of initiative and self help to survive the pit, cowboy. if this were an aptitude test, that would be a fail.

dundem
17th Jul 2008, 00:27
Thanks for the helpful post Olbie. Despite my last post my attitude is pretty much in-check. I am usually a mellow person. It's just a pet peeve of mine that some posters have so little to do that they add junk to a public post when it is far easier to ignore the post if they have nothing of value to add.

Regarding my aptitude, thanks for the concern, but see above.

.Aero
17th Jul 2008, 01:39
we have the best training system going.AQP..

Yeah definitely - The likes of Chris and Ali did a really good job crafting one of the most respected AQPs in the region.

downNOgreens
18th Jul 2008, 02:37
Don't forget Bob.H.

flyboyike
18th Jul 2008, 17:03
So, if I have about 2800TT, 1400 Part 121 Jet and about 140 Turbine PIC, do I have a shot at GF?

Che Guevara
18th Jul 2008, 17:09
You might if they can't get type rated people I guess. Anyway, good luck.

flyboyike
18th Jul 2008, 18:46
Thanks. They've posted vacancies for both typed and non-typed people. Let's see what happens.

Tziganul
12th Aug 2008, 05:40
Hey guys, I have been selected to attend the GF interview in the near future. I have read a lot of threads here and I know many of you think I am crazy to even go there and try. However, for the simple guy like me who doesn't know much about the GF aside from the web reading, I'd like to ask these question to the guys who are flying there right now. From what I gathered on the net, it seems to me that now GF is heading in the right direction. Is it true, and how have things changed from the past management and all. I am currently flying the A320 family and don't want to make a side move. Is it true that there are 18-787 on order along with something like 20-330 and about the same of 320?
Thank you guys for answering me? Keep them coming :)

Albergineman
13th Aug 2008, 14:00
Yes, it is true!

20 A320 family + 15 A330 family + 16 (+8 opt) B787 family

Airbuses to be delivered until 2011 (already started with 2 A319 and 3 A330 in the first half of 2009)

Boeings to start on 2016 (maybe something in 2010...)

Personally, I like to work here, I made a lot of friends form this half decade here and the things are going well from one year now. Of course there are unhappy people as well since there is no perfect job...

Good luck!

:ok: