PDA

View Full Version : Real Download

Bear Cub
25th Sep 2000, 09:39
Grrrrr.

I've somehow subscribed to some hideous programme called "Real Download"...every time I click to download anything from the computer, this programme starts itself and (to be fair) does do a pretty good job of getting the download.

Snag is, it also brings up a box of advertisements that not only cover about ½ of the screen but also prevents any further use of my machine until the download finishes.

Please tell me how to get rid of this programme...surely Windows Millennium Edition (which I have also just loaded) will have its own download....won't it?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

mriya225
25th Sep 2000, 12:52
Bear Cub,

If you're happy enough with the program itself - perhaps an ad crusher might be in order. I LOVE CrushPop-2000, and can't sing it's praises enough, it seems. I'm no techno weenie, but I don't know how I managed to keep my sanity without the ad stompers I've got onboard now!

PS :) The Bears in Colorado ARE armed :)

------------------
Patience is letting your motor idle when you feel like stripping your gears.

dingducky
25th Sep 2000, 13:56
i got rid of real download coz it annoyed me

i have found that sometimes my comp will freeze up
i'll ctrl-alt-del a couple of times and then get a message saying the system is busy and to push any key. which i do
then get a little close program window with realplay not resonding highlighted http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
so i click on end task and then it will say that it is not responding and to wait or end nowso i end it and everything works again.why does it do this???? it sux!!!!

------------------
Those who can't write, write manuals

matelot
25th Sep 2000, 14:07
The prog might have installed itself in your 'start' folder and put a shortcut in there - sometimes they do.

Navigate to it and delete it - there are various ways to get there. It might even show itself in your system tray: if so, right click and look for a delete/uninstall option.

It might not be easy to get rid of: that's how the blighters persist and keep throwing ads in your face!

There may also be an entry in your registry...

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

Bear Cub
25th Sep 2000, 15:55
Well - we seem to be getting closer....you have advised on how to kill Real Download...but no alternatives.

What do I use to get the downloads if I kill 'Real'?

Crushpop 2000???? A freebie download from somewhere, or a buy this with my credit card programme? Where from.

(Power to those Colorado Bears)

------------------
Hunting is bad!!

MAX REVERSE
25th Sep 2000, 21:56
Hello Bear Cub.

You don't actually NEED any special software to download files. What download managers do is allow you to recommence a download if interrupted without having to start downloading the whole file again. Unfortunately the free ones come with an obvious penalty - the ads - and sometimes a less obvious one - tracking of your downloads. Take a look at this (http://grc.com/downloaders.htm) link from the GRC site.

mriya225
26th Sep 2000, 04:48
Bear Cub,

The CrushPop was the top ranking freeware ad killer/ web filtering tool for both Cnet & ZDNet you can find reviews & download sites here: http://megasolutions.hypermart.net/CRUSHPOP.HTM

I like the Netzip Download manager a lot and have never had a minute's trouble with it...
I have the shareware version installed - but i think there's a freeware version out there (maybe it comes bundled with the Netscape Communicator 4.75 upgrade). Anyway, product info. and download sites can be found here:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10097-100-2028920.html?tag=st.dl.10001_103_1.lst.td_2028920

The bears are sitting pretty - it's the mountain lions we worry about out here! :)

------------------
Patience is letting your motor idle when you feel like stripping your gears.

Bear Cub
26th Sep 2000, 05:58
Thanks...I'll go for a trawl.

Don't worry about the mountain lions..they're just big pussy cats at heart and they are probably more afraid of you than you are of them.

Consider a bath tub of milk for them.

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!