PDA

View Full Version : Qantas dictator accused of supporting Burmese dictator

Anulus Filler
3rd Jun 2008, 00:18
Maybe one more reason for the vote of no confidence...

How will Darth explain this one.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/world/autocodes/countries/burma-myanmar/top-companies-accused-helping-finance-burmas-dictatorship-$1225538.htm

:=:=:=

Dropt McGutz
3rd Jun 2008, 00:28
Might be because Qantas uses their airspace and has to pay for that?

Capt Fathom
3rd Jun 2008, 00:46
More likely to do with promoting Holidays & Travel.

Qantas are not in this league, but they're not on their own.

Temasek Holdings....owners of Singapore Airlines (and most things to do with Singapore) (http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/singapore-a-friend-indeed-to-burma/2007/09/30/1191090945019.html?page=fullpage)

Keg
3rd Jun 2008, 00:55
Hmmm. Let's see. British Airways, Thai, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Emirates, Malaysian Airlines.....basically anyone that flies from BKK or SIN to Europe. Talk about a beat up. :rolleyes: :suspect:

I'm all for getting rid of despot regimes but there is surely a better way than this method chosen by Burma Campaign UK. :ugh:

capt.cynical
3rd Jun 2008, 01:52
Check the date at the top of the article !!:confused:

The last paragraph is the giveaway.:)

So when the Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, vows to impose financial sanctions on Burma's regime, as he did this week, perhaps he should be calling Singapore's bankers rather than Australia's.:D

Capt Fathom
3rd Jun 2008, 03:05
Cynical...

You're referring to my link, not the original poster's.

I didn't say it was from today's news.

I picked it as an example of what 'others' are also up to !

Wunwing
3rd Jun 2008, 07:04
I suspect the article is referring to payments made by Qantas when they overfly Burma??
If that is the case then most of the airlines in Asia would be similarly accused as it's dificult to avoid their airspace if you are heading NW from BKK.
Wunwing

Transition Layer
3rd Jun 2008, 07:50
God knows why we have to pay anything to fly through that bit of airspace...50% of the time there is no contact on either HF or Datalink. Helps keep you awake trying to call them I guess.

Keg
3rd Jun 2008, 14:25
If you were happy to live in PER you wouldn't have had to worry about it anymore! :}