PDA

View Full Version : British Eagle DC6 this week

HZ123
2nd Jun 2008, 23:56
I seem to have missed it but why is the above Atlantic Airways DC6 been put into this comemorative livery.

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Jun 2008, 00:51
I cant think why??

A little bird tells me they (BE) never flew the DC6??

It was only the other month, that G SIXC?? was in another scheme.

Regards.;)

bean
3rd Jun 2008, 01:02
G-APSA operated for Eagle from 1959 to 1964 It is the only ex Eagle aircraft flying.

It appears that the original intention was for it to fly in the colours in which it was originally operated by Eagle in 1959 which were a derivation of its' original Maritime Central colours when originally deliverd just six momths previously.

It wil be forty years in November since the collapse of British Eagle.

G-APSA along with the Atlantique Daks G-AMPY (ex Starways, Irelfly and Intra) G-AMRA (ex transair, Morton & BUIA etc) and G-ANAF (ex BKS Air Transport)plus a couple of other airworthy airframes are living reminders of the buccaneering age of independent airlines trying to survive against the short sighted governments (both Labour and Conservative) chosen instruments of the fifties and sixties. (If it needs to be spelt out: BOAC and BEA)

treadigraph
3rd Jun 2008, 07:37
And doesn't she look great in that scheme? I believe she will be at Biggin Hill this weekend...

HZ123
3rd Jun 2008, 08:53
Thanks for the info, I do not think you have to get out of your pram over it. Surely the majority of threaders on this site are mostly misinformed and many talk complete nonsense. That in the end is what rumours is all about and in the UK most have the hump because it has all the makings of another sh--- summer.

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Jun 2008, 10:19
It isn't necessary to snipe at people - even if they are wrong. Please exercise control.

PPP

FAStoat
3rd Jun 2008, 10:43
Actually,British Eagle operated a rather famous DC6 G ARMY,photos of which can be found via Google,together with other registrations for British Eagle and Cunard Eagle.Truly Glorious that Mike Collet has decided to commemorate this ,since very few British Airlines operated a DC6.

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Jun 2008, 11:17
Yes FA Stoat, I agree Mike Collett is very enthusiastic about his work, And he proves this in the Aircraft he runs.

We could do with 10 Mike Colletts.:D