PDA

View Full Version : Tech Quiz

twentysixpointfive
2nd Jun 2008, 23:48
Can anyone who has recently gone through interviews give pointers on what to study for the tech quiz? My understanding is that the XYZ questions are somewhat outdated, and it would be nice to know where to focus my efforts.

Thank You.

Bonne chance!

Rookiy
4th Jun 2008, 15:05
Don't worry about it, do your best and move on. It's not about how many you get right or wrong, it's about how you handle the process.

KODI3
4th Jun 2008, 19:18
Couldn't agree more with the above post. I didn't do so well on the tech quiz and said, "I don't know" to at least 4 questions from the pilot interviewer. A previous post from a current FO stated the interview is won or lost with the HR person and not trying to BS through an answer if you don't know it. I walked out of the interview with my head hanging to the ground because I thought I did not provide the answers I thought they wanted to hear. Got the congrats letter 2 weeks ago followed by a we'll contact you when we are ready to resume 2nd interviews. Looks like I have time to study some more and go golfing.

SDJ

twentysixpointfive
5th Jun 2008, 19:09
Not the replies I was hoping for, but reassuring regardless! :O cheers
And congratulations, kodi3

KODI3
5th Jun 2008, 23:53
I spoke w/someone who went through the process a month prior to me, and I did not have any of his questions. Can't say it enough, DO NOT DWELL ON MISSED QUESTIONS. They appear to be more interested in how you handle yourself in the oral interview and can carry on an intelligent conversation.

Back to your original ??
I read Handling the big jets, acing the technical interview, and other assorted gouge. I did not have the xyz book because I was unable to get one. Here are some of the techs ?? and the answers I found later:

ICAO holding altitudes and airspeeds

When will clear ice normally occur at?
Clear ice normally occurs at temperatures between 0C and -10C in, but may occur with temperatures as cold as -25. Clear icing is the most severe form of icing.
At 33,000 ft the OAT is -45C, what is ISA deviation?
ISA -06ºc
What is the difference between the two?
Non-differential spoilers don't supplement roll control when the speed brake is fully extended:

Speed brakes fully retracted: Right spoiler extends
Left spoiler remains retracted
Speed brakes fully extended: Right spoiler remains extended
Left spoiler remains extended
Speed brakes half extended: Right spoiler extends further
Left spoiler doesn't move

Differential spoilers retract and supplement roll control when the speed brake is fully extended:

Speed brakes fully retracted: Right spoiler extends
Left spoiler remains retracted
Speed brakes fully extended: Right spoiler remains extended
Left spoiler retracts
Speed brakes half extended: Right spoiler extends further
Left spoiler retracts
What would you do if landing on a wet runway with a strong crosswind you started to drift downwind off the runway?
Cancel reverse, regain centreline using rudder control, and then apply max braking using anti-skid if necessary. The most likely reason the aircraft skidded was due to aquaplaning and drifting sideways due to the sideways component of thrust from reverse application. Another action may be to confirm spoiler extension after touch down.
Where are the high lift devices located on the 747-400 and what type are they?
Leading edge: Krueger flap
Trailing edge: Triple slotted fowler flap

How many slots on the 747-400's fowler flap?

Why is the 747-400 fowler flap fully extended [nearly perpendicular to the wing] on very short final?
To produce maximum lift and drag, reducing the approach speed and allowing the engines to be at high approach idle

How would you load the 747-400 to obtain max range? Why?
With the most rearward C of G practicable, to reduce the down force required on the elevator, thus reducing drag.

KODI3
5th Jun 2008, 23:55
Sorry, looks like the web did not like the formatting I cut and paste:bored:

ashcroft79
6th Jun 2008, 00:38
Ha ha ha that was one of the hardest post I've ever tried to read. :}

TWINGLOBES
6th Jun 2008, 06:24
www.pilotcareercentre.com (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com) does an interview prep to get you comfortable with CX's interview style and usually stays up to date with questions.

727 Whisper Jet
7th Jun 2008, 00:56
I agree do not worry about the quiz, just be honest with them. I'm going to the second interview and I marked the wrong cloud types associated with cold fronts. Perhaps a few more too.