PDA

View Full Version : Time to JQ Command

4PW's
2nd Jun 2008, 19:55
Heaps being written about JQ, little of which is clear. I need some good oil, so here's the deal:

I'm a Captain on a Boeing, but not an Airbus. Never had the pleasure of flying one. My entry would be as an A320 or A330 F/O, right?

I pay for my own rating, salary sacrifice or CHC*, tough it out for a while on minimum wages and stand in line for an upgrade. Ouch! For those who want to rag on me with the min wages thing, go hard, but you'll know what I mean one day.

From those that know, would you mind giving me an insight into the probable upgrade time for a previous Boeing captain, basis joining sometime this year?

Yes, I have registered my interest and read the FAQs on the JQ website. This is a difficult decision, made easier with more information.

Thanks in advance.

* cold hard cash

Jet Man
2nd Jun 2008, 20:49
If you have a few command hours on Boeing then maybe by the end of your line training!

Bula
2nd Jun 2008, 20:57
probably a little slower then you think. Most FO's are coming up to the mins which means the compnay will have to fork out big cash if it were to give a command to guys who have just arrived on the seniority list.

Depending on your background though. T + C experience will have you so fst through the door in command it will make your head spin but other then that the place is pretty much stocked up with pilots. 1 or 2 people per month until the end of the year by the looks of it unless the 787 actually arrives on-time.

Cartmen
2nd Jun 2008, 21:07
what are the mins for Command in JQ?

Muff Hunter
3rd Jun 2008, 00:18
For existing fo's 1500 on type 2 years in the company and 4000 hours total...

Sorry to rain on your parade but there is a heap of fo's all nearing this mark, so when commands come up again they will be taken by these guys...

So I don't think there is much of a chance for any more DEC's unless C&T.......(thank fark for that).....

Bula
3rd Jun 2008, 00:34
new... min's 2000hrs on type and 2 years. the sector requirement has been removed.

Keg
3rd Jun 2008, 01:02
Have those 7:20 'protected' numbers for QF drivers reached command yet?

I know that the J* numbers in QF would be an F/O by now.

Cartmen
3rd Jun 2008, 01:05
thanks for the info. So you're saying that you have to do 2 years in the company as an FO?

Bula
3rd Jun 2008, 02:27
2 years in the company....... but rather then people waiting to reach this milestone to be eligible, I would approach this as the min because of the current numbers. More like 3 -4 years for new recruits, once again, dependent on the 787.

toolish
3rd Jun 2008, 03:18
Blank Q# have already dropped of seniority list due to no one from QF wanting them and commands issued lower down therefore anyone who had decided to come across about a year ago would have a command

Chocks Away
3rd Jun 2008, 09:22
These work visas issued by the Govt, for overseas pilots to come in may pose another problem for you command though???

dodgybrothers
3rd Jun 2008, 12:04
This is an interesting topic. Now I would like to know why the mods, in their infinite wisdom, have chosen to send this to the GA forum while they keep other threads, like anything to do with military ops, in the RPT section when they belong in the GA!!!!

Anyone?

Keg
3rd Jun 2008, 14:20
Blank Q# have already dropped of seniority list.....

That may well be true....

.... due to no one from QF wanting them

...but this is most certainly not! :eek: :suspect:

There are a number of crew who have previously and continue to express an interest in J* positions under the MoU and those numbers- particularly if it means a faster promotion.

Dixons Cider
3rd Jun 2008, 20:28
just like to take the time to say good onya to all posters above - no shiite slinging and bagging as is sadly often the case round 'ere, just answers and debate to the question at hand.

Good job. Oh, and thanks. :ok:

Bula
3rd Jun 2008, 23:01
Keg,

with the reduction in capacity has there been any word from QF whether why will allows "Q Jumpers"... (tongue in cheek) to start coming across again?

Word is that the 457 visas have only come about after QF has refused to allow people in recent times to come across under the MOU, creating an experience void within the JQ.

I'm Driving
4th Jun 2008, 00:23
Bula. At this point in time there is no way QF will release anybody. There is no reduction in capacity.

Condition lever
4th Jun 2008, 00:53
Bula,

new... min's 2000hrs on type and 2 years.
Had to pull out the current OM1 to see that the minimums have not in fact changed.
Where have you gotten you info from?

Keg,

There are a number of crew who have previously and continue to express an interest in J* positions under the MoU and those numbers- particularly if it means a faster promotion.
Am dumbfounded by your post.
I have previously had quite a respect for your opinion.
I understand that you are not necessarily indicating that you are interested in a J* position, or are you?
You continuously bleat that J* T&Cs are sub-par.
However you now state that there are a number of crew, that you obviously know of; perhaps even including yourself, that are willing to sell their soul or at least compromise their moral high ground for the prospect of faster promotion.
Seems a pretty hypocritical position to take given your past posts.

Bula
4th Jun 2008, 02:58
CL, Check the next amendment. Due out on the 5th but delayed on the FCTD until the 3rd of next month. From the horses mouth.

Keg
4th Jun 2008, 05:46
Condition Lever,

No need to be dumbfounded. I'm not considering a J* position as I'm quite happily ensconced in command training at the moment. I still believe that J* T&C aren't what they should be....about 20% under done I reckon. Possibly more when you consider the 'add ons'.

However, I'm not naive enough to say that just because I think the conditions are under done and that people shouldn't go that there will be others who make the decision that it's the right move for them. These people may be (say) be a seven year (or thereabouts) F/O in QF who would like to take the opportunity to take the command for the same money- and possibly marginally more with the supposedly flash EBA recently signed.

Do I think they're being short sighted in terms of 'solving' J*'s problems re terms and conditions? Yes. Would I stand in their way? No.

To be clear, I don't know personally of any crew. I do know from talking to my AIPA reps that 'a number' of crew have expressed an interest. Am I being hypocritical? Up to you to judge.