PDA

View Full Version : Domain theft

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jun 2008, 15:14
Can anybody advise what, if anything, I can do about this?

A few years ago, my brother (resident at the time in the UK, although he's now living in Spain) registered the domain name "surname.org" (surname being our family name), he did this fairly cheaply through an ISP in Australia. This worked very nicely and various family members had webpages and Email addresses using "surname.org".

A few months ago the website stopped working (he is still paid-up until October this year), the Australian ISP didn't reply to any of his Emails about it, nor when I tried to get involved, mine.

On the offchance they'd gone out of business but not announced it, I tried to re-register it - but was told I couldn't because it was registered to my brother, and the registration was valid until October.

Then, this month I discover it's now listed as owned by some Chinese named "gentleman" with an address in Guangzhou, who has just camped some minimal advertising c**p onto it (along with, to add insult to injury, a picture of an aeroplane). There is also a small advert in the corner saying "Buy this domain" - so I clicked on that, which allowed me to register with a domain name broker called "Sedo" and make an offer. I offered E60 - which is about what it'd cost to register it (sans cyber-squatter!), and they came back with a counter offer of around E3,000! At this I sent back a message saying "look, it's not yours, but I don't mind paying a nominal sum to get it back". At which they simply withdrew any offer via SEDO and firstname.org is still up there, complete with adverts for Ikea, Cheating Housewives and a handful of mail order catalogues.

Now, if any of the players here were in the UK, I'd like to feel that I could make some formal representation and just possibly some form of fair play would prevail. Involving people in Australia and China who I can't readily communicate with - I really haven't got a clue.

Can anybody suggest anything that I can possibly do here, save either give-up or wait for our thieving Chinaman (who according to seems to own over 7,000 other domains) to let his registration lapse, then jump in and re-register, which will take a while I imagine since it's shown as registered until next April.

G

Hyph
2nd Jun 2008, 15:39
It sounds very much like your domain was hijacked.

You may be able to get it back by complaining to the (top-level) domain registrar, the ISP and/or the owner of the DNS server currently directing it to the Ikea and Cheating Housewives ads.

Keef
2nd Jun 2008, 16:52
I had a .org "lost" like that, and complained to the top-level registrar. They made me fill in and fax a form, and nominate the new "host". Within a day, it was back in my control.

I think the previous registrar/host went bust or some such.

Saab Dastard
2nd Jun 2008, 17:54
GtE,

Sorry to hear of your woes - I hope it gets resolved satisfactorily. I can't add to Keef and Hyph's suggestions, other than to commiserate. :ouch:

SD

cldrvr
2nd Jun 2008, 20:43
Genghis, see below a phone number and registrar for your website, good luck

Domain Name:SURNAME.ORG
Created On:31-Oct-2000 11:34:18 UTC
Last Updated On:23-Apr-2008 18:42:00 UTC
Expiration Date:31-Oct-2008 11:34:18 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Nameview Inc. (R1379-LROR)
Registrant ID:114921868583446
Registrant Name:c/o Whois IDentity Shield
Registrant Organization:NameView, Inc.
Registrant Street1:142-757 W. Hastings St., Suite #777
Registrant City:Vancouver
Registrant State/Province:BC
Registrant Postal Code:V6C1A1
Registrant Country:CA
Registrant Phone:+1.3094245497

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jun 2008, 22:29
cldrvr - Actually it's my surname, not SURNAME ! I suspect most of PPrune know it anyway, but I'd rather not post it.

Keef - sorry for being an IT ignoramus, but how do I identify the "top level registrar"?

G

cldrvr
2nd Jun 2008, 22:33
Sorry forgot to add the linky http://www.who.is/

surname.org will give you the earlier post, try that for finding out the upperlevel registrar

Keef
2nd Jun 2008, 22:42
I'd start with http://www.networksolutions.com/ and explain that your domain has been hijacked - or rather, that your brother's has.

They sorted it all for me, for a fee that as I recall was around $30. I had to have a registrar to place it with - but that could be your present registrar if they offer hosting service. I'd recommend a UK-based one to keep it simple, but most first-world providers are OK.

Alternatively, if you want to PM or e-mail me the details, I'll see what I can find out.
keef at keef dot org dot uk will reach me.

What you want to know is "sponsoring registrar", which hopefully isn't someone in China.

rotorcraig
2nd Jun 2008, 22:46
Top-level Domain is .org, .com, .uk etc. In your case for surname.org it's .org.

The Domain Name page at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name) is useful; there is a table of Top-level Domains half way down the page.

For .org they list Public Interest Registry (http://www.pir.org/) - their website has FAQ and other info on dispute resolution that should help

RC

PoloJamie
2nd Jun 2008, 23:43
I don't suppose your domain has been re-registered/transferred over to a company based in Hong Kong called cenal.com has it? One of my domains came up for renewal earlier this year and I accidently let it expire. I then went to renew it and found that it has been registered to a company based in HK who just grab domains as they come up for renewal. I emailed them and they sent me a really nasty email and wanted $800, so not as bad as your case.

I'm still not paying it though. Domain renewal is one of the things which you really have to do as soon as it comes up, otherwise it creates all sorts of problems.

Hope it gets all sorted out for you, lets us know how it goes.

Jamie.