PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt Desk Top icons

Tartan Giant
16th Dec 2000, 20:09
I have a PC running Win 98 ME (OE 5.5)and I have been having problems with it crashing/ freezing.

It resets OK but some of the existing Desk Top icons (favourites put there via "Send To"/ Desk Top, as a short cut)have been 'got at' and been corrupted; showing 2 super imposed layers on top of the original one (all slightly displaced, so you can see the others) !
There is the original (can't quite make out)then a blank folder, then the very top one - like a mini desk-top with 6 very tiny coloured icons within.

Any ideas chaps how to get rid of this annoyance ?

I have tried deleting and starting from square one, but the machine insists in putting three layers of icon paint down....tiresome.

Hew Jampton
16th Dec 2000, 22:13
Try right click on blank area of desktop,then arrange icons by name. This will at least get rid of the superimposition.

Tartan Giant
17th Dec 2000, 03:34
Thanks HJ for that 'try' but it did not cure the problem !

I tried every option "arrange by..." too and no luck !

Lu Zuckerman
17th Dec 2000, 06:24
How about running a virus scan. If it is in effect caused by a virus the scan program might put them in the quarentine file and you can't recover them. If that proves to be true, you may have to reload Windows 98.

------------------
The Cat

Ausatco
17th Dec 2000, 08:42
Tartan,

Does ME have Tweakui? If it does, try Control Panel, Tweakui, Repair, Rebuild icons and see if that helps.

Cheers

AA

addinfurnightem
17th Dec 2000, 13:15
Try going into: Start/Search and then type in: shell icon cache file When you are sure you have found it, delete it, (the system will build a new onw anyway). This often romoves desk-top icon problems.

Mac the Knife
17th Dec 2000, 23:39
Roger addinfurnightem, but look for ShellIconCache (one word, case irrelevant) rather than shell icon cache. Its a hidden file (mine is 1.2MB) in the WINDOWS directory.

Tartan Giant
18th Dec 2000, 01:54
Lu/Ausatco/Addin' et al,

Many thanks chaps, between you all, you led me to the correct area and I have the problem fixed.

Safe Xmas to all,
Cheers,
TG