PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Training College of Ireland..?

JackN
2nd Jun 2008, 13:31
I'm considering going there for the integrated FO course which goes out to Vero Beach in Florida for 4 months - where the training is done by Flight Safety International - and then stays in Waterford in Ireland for the remaining 10 months of ground school, ME, MEIR etc etc. I passed their assessments in January, and am due to start the course in September. I've just got the little issue of raising £80k before then.
Has anyone heard any good/bad things about PTC? I was impressed with what I've seen and how they've been so far, but any extra info anyone has would be appreciated.

heli_port
2nd Jun 2008, 13:59
It's always good to do a search

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328964

btw only OAA, FTE, WAAC & cabair are certified to carry out an integrated course, the rest maybe full time but they are modular... read the following carefully..

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Approved%20Organisations%20Doc%2031%20v85.pdf

Adios
2nd Jun 2008, 18:10
Heli Port,

I do think PTC is modular, but referencing a UK CAA web site proves it not.

The UK CAA could approve them, as they have done for FTE even though it is in Spain, but they certainly don't need UK CAA approval to offer JAA training, as they can do that under the authority of the IAA.

heli_port
2nd Jun 2008, 18:42
The UK CAA could approve them, as they have done for FTE even though it is in Spain, but they certainly don't need UK CAA approval to offer JAA training, as they can do that under the authority of the IAA

agreed but i never said they did :}

MarkColeman
2nd Jun 2008, 20:49
I went through the modular course at ptc last year (now with an airline job), i know they recently have introduced full time atpl groundschool - no longer distance learning. Also the training done in florida is now jaa cpl, and they have opened up 'PTC florida' in flightsafety. So you now do ppl, atpls full time and cpl with ptc florida and then do your ir back in waterford. Becuase of this i think they were recently granted integrated status.

JohnDCFC
15th Jun 2008, 10:55
Hi folks...not sure which thread to post in..I am soon to start the Arline pilot course at PTC...anyone got any advice/info/recommendations about the place?

My first impressions of the place are pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences of the place.

Thanks

John

HappyFran
15th Jun 2008, 17:45
I echo recent posts :suspect:
Check out other threads...if they haven't been deleted for fear of litigation or loss of advertising revenue :eek::ooh::suspect::{

corsair
15th Jun 2008, 18:11
I met a PTC student who was convinced he was on an 'integrated' course. I tried to explain that it was simply a series of modules in sequence. He couldn't take it in.

I find it amazing how many people believe it's an integrated course. Nowhere on their website do they claim it's integrated. So where are they getting this impression? I can guess of course.

Interestingly at the FLYER show in Dublin last year, a lot of PTC's attending Instructors were over at a certain rivals stand wondering about vacancies.

I've heard good and bad about PTC. Best bet would be to visit and ask current students. In particular I would ask if they think they are on an integrated course.

JohnDCFC
15th Jun 2008, 18:42
Thanks corsair...I suppose there is good and bad everywhere?? :P

Would you recommend them though?

Adios
15th Jun 2008, 20:53
FTO's are usually required to display their approval certificates publicly. Someone who is there should be able to find them and report back if they say modular or integrated, as well as what aviation authority has granted them.

HappyFran
15th Jun 2008, 21:58
I think if you need a PPL to start ATPL theory....would be a bit of a giveaway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pjlot
16th Jun 2008, 20:32
Here are some links,
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328964&highlight=Waterford+Pilot+College

Another
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=314562&highlight=Waterford+Pilot+College

Another
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=140585&highlight=Waterford+Pilot+College

Another
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216991&highlight=Waterford+Pilot+College

Another

Bear in mind at least one thread has been deleted, it was heavily critical of PTC and based on some personal experiences of some recently past students. Also most studends will advise you allow at least €100,000 for training and it's not unusual to need more. Before you hand out any money research everything and compare training costs with other schools.

Adios
16th Jun 2008, 21:44
Happy Fran,

PPL first is usually a dead give away of Modular, however, not always.

There is something called an Integrated CPL course, which is how CTC were listed on the CAA approval page last time I checked it. I suspect this is because they don't provide the ATPL theory, rather, they sub it out to BGS's DL course, hence the reason for the PPL first at CTC might actually be pre-requisite to get onto BGS' ATPL theory DL course. CTC are Integrated, but not ATPL Integrated, unless things have changed in the last month. It doesn't really seem to matter in CTC's case though, as the unsecured funding option and the high employment rate make the Int. vs. Mod. debate a moot point for most wannabes as far as CTC are concerned.

As for PTC, it sure seems to be Modular that PTC don't mind people assume to be Integrated. Whether they actively promote it as such or merely let people assume it is such, I can't tell, so it is buyer beware.

HappyFran
17th Jun 2008, 10:40
To a very large extent it should not matter to much to the student weather it is Integrated or joined up Modular or pick & mix. Every potential student should evaluate a range of schools and decide which one is right for them.
Horses for courses :)

Adios - never really thought about CTC approach. Does make a bit of a mockery of what constitues an Integrated course. :eek:

I guess it all comes down to the perceived or real value / quidos of having a 'Integrated' FTO on your CV as your training provider...but that is a whole different debate:eek: