PDA

View Full Version : pprune bash POM

troppo
2nd Jun 2008, 08:19
Troppo might be in moresby next mon and tues after an absence of nearly 10 years. Any one up for a few brown bottles, white cans or duty free let me know.
Ps anyone that knows TM with hevilift and ex air link let him know troppo from fiji wants to cash in his bia account Capt nomad, ozexpat et al if you are around let me know

2p!ssed2drive
2nd Jun 2008, 12:59
apparently the boys have given the Aero club (swamp) the ass and now they're drinking at the weigh inn :}

Have fun... and the Roundhouse chinese restaurant in Boroka serves up good tucka.

Captain Nomad
4th Jun 2008, 01:56
Hi Troppo!

Sorri tru... Nomad will be stuck in the highlands and hence a bit of a ways from Port Morbid at that time.

I do hope you enjoy your visit and get to catch up with some old faces though. :ok: We are having a string of stunningly magic weather days ATM which you think PNG is incapable of producing but every now and then you get a surprise!

Would be interested to hear your comments on the changes you notice though. Let us know!

Cheers,
Nomad

Pinky the pilot
4th Jun 2008, 04:22
Roundhouse chinese restaurant in Boroko

Hmm, don't remember that one. Used to frequent the Kwantung Village (?) way back then!:ok:

OzExpat
4th Jun 2008, 08:07
I should be around on Monday, perhaps even Tuesday. I don't know how much of a bash turn-out you'll get but, if all else fails, there's always the Poolside Bar at the Airways. Let's see who else puts a hand up first.

the wizard of auz
4th Jun 2008, 14:17
Oh, Oh...... the Airways. :} I remember several jolly good times there. :ok:
Short walk from the Gateway hotel, so is handy too. Wish I was working less and had a few more $$$. I would attend just to upset the CAA. :}

2p!ssed2drive
4th Jun 2008, 23:04
Short walk from the Gateway hotel, so is handy too

You're game!

Especially if it's at night too

tinpis
5th Jun 2008, 01:53
B:hmm:Business or pleasure Troppo?

troppo
5th Jun 2008, 01:58
Tin,
Is that a trick question? Me thinks there ain't too much pleasure to be had in Moresby.

tinpis
5th Jun 2008, 02:02
Well it beats than Hamilton :yuk:

troppo
5th Jun 2008, 03:33
Tin, you wouldn't believe it but Hamilton's come a long way since the '30s :E
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/story.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10509351
If you can't find pleasure in the Tron, there's always AgResearch at Ruakura :}

SteveWA
5th Jun 2008, 03:37
Dosnt look as good as the Balus Bar on a Thursday night or the Lamana on a Friday.................

geeup
6th Jun 2008, 02:32
What has happened to the Aeroclub?

Salt n Pepper squid use to be the pick at the Round House:ok: but its been years since i was last there :{

SHAGGS
6th Jun 2008, 03:36
It was recently bought out by a well know Hevi Lift pilot. From what I have heard they are in the process of renovating the insides of the building. Last time I ventured down there the place was falling to pieces. The other problem with the Aero Club is the road getting down there isn't the safest road in PNG to travel on in regard to rascals.

I'm sure given the people who are now managing it, they will turn the business around and make it into a worth while place to go and have a few beers, like it once was. Even with the 2 kina meri's there !

tinpis
6th Jun 2008, 20:55
Is this the long taim before Dero ?

geeup
6th Jun 2008, 22:24
Dont tell me Mad Dog brought the Dero :}

I had heard that Balus was closed :{

SHAGGS
7th Jun 2008, 00:26
No Mad Dog hasn't bought the dero, "Captain Have A CHAT PHIL" has bought into it. :ok::ok::ok:

tinpis
7th Jun 2008, 01:19
THIS Dero?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/oldderomoresby.jpg

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jun 2008, 01:44
No Tin NOT that Dero.

That was the only Dero POM has had and I, for one, object to the tin shed at the far end of the airport usurping the proud name, Dero.

The new 'aeroclub', also a grave misnomer, is about abeam the threshold of 32L along a bit of a track from the Gateway Hotel. Pretty much straight in front of the Airways pool area. Right next to an old graveyard.

The new international terminal sits on the sight of the Dero and Yorke's PNGAS hangar...and the Etamoga pub:ok:

Preceding the demolition of those fine establishments, well the Dero anyway, we were promised a 'new and better' aeroclub building on the sight of the tin shed we eventually were forced into. It was the usual disgraceful result of a spiv govt appointed contractor that we knew at the time was lying his head off but we were powerless to change the course of events.

It was a sad day when we first viewed the tin shed that we were tipped into, and it was the final death blow of the aeroclub movement in PNG.

Your picture brings back many fond memories...the lady in the foreground is Mrs Taildragger. I had dinner with them in London recently. The skinny chap with the silly grin is the late Martin Ede...fondly remembered by all those who shared a beer with him at the Dero and to those of us who shared a cockpit with him on the mighty F28.

In the background is Norm Sellen and I am sitting directly behind Martin....thats my arm:ok:

Animalclub
7th Jun 2008, 01:53
That picture sure is a blast from the past. Indeed a very funny man.

When you talk about the "tin shed" do you mean the ADF "Club" on the other side of an airport entrance to the original dero in the 70s? VB K2 a can!!

tinpis
7th Jun 2008, 02:17
Oh...thanks for that Chuck

In 1970 that bar wasnt as popular as the "Wastegate" but different times indeed
First place I stuck my nose into indeed I rented a plane off them to do some night flying
Doug McKenzie was instructing then.

Martin I knew from TAL/M@cair/Malarial ? before Pixie? What happened to him?

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jun 2008, 02:49
Don't think Martin ever flew in the bush before PX...I think, but don't hold me to it, that he came up from Oz direct into PX in the early years of PX...late 70s latest.

Throat cancer I believe was the first diagnosis but that was 'cured'. Not a long time later he got very sick indeed and was gone within months. I don't remember all the details as I had left PNG and was in Singapore at the time....very sad...he, along with Skippy Hartnet, Jasper Maskelyne etc was one of the Dero patrons that took me under their wing, so to speak, my first night in PNG, filled me full of SP/spent the next week telling me horror stories and that I would be dead in a few months/and nicknamed me Chimbu.

The old Dero was literally the first place I stuck my nose in too...walked straight there from the QF flight and was lucky enough to walk in on the dot of 1600 as it opened up and all the old hands wandered in after work. I didn't know a single person in POM and had no hotac booked...just a scrawny 24 year old with a duffle bag, no experience and an offer of a possible job in Kundiawa. By the end of the night I had a bed to sleep in and made friends that remain to this day almost 22 years later.

tinpis
7th Jun 2008, 02:56
Oh...here we go. :rolleyes: ..Skippy Hartnet wheres he?

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jun 2008, 02:59
Retired in Cairns...another of life's gentlemen:ok:

OzExpat
8th Jun 2008, 13:00
Hmmm... looks like there won't be any others available when Troppo hits town. Check yer PMs mate, if you have an opportunity before departure.

Sharpie
9th Jun 2008, 09:09
Animal Club

Have a look at Google Earth/Port Morbid/ and check in around S09.27.57 -
E147.13.14.4 and you can see a shiny tin roof ? with a light twin parked outside. 30m behind the lightie,amongst the trees you can just make out the remains of a P39 recovered from Bulldog stuck on a pedestal just outside of the entrance to the 'klub'

The Aero Club 'wus robbed' after the old site was taken over for the new terminal but a few diehards with Ray Thurecht did try and do something with the horrible tin shed seeking support from the Gvt and DCA to no avail. The last I heard was Ray was still fighting off the DCA accountants who wanted large rentals for an empty tin shed.

We got Ted Kennedy in as Manager and he tried to (?) improve the atmosphere with disco music, mirrored walls, bulletproof windows and sheet metal armoured cladding behind the ply. Stopped a few projectiles. Next door Ted provided pokie machines as well. Of course just outside the gate was a small gardhaus in which the guys would sit with their trusty pump action. A few dings in the walls of that edifice too!

From accumulated funds, SPAC did provide subsidised training for a few selected national pilots to a higher level but I am not sure the current standing since Phil has taken over from Firnsie.

I thought that Martin Ede arrived from Connellans along with Nick Leonard and Vince Browner to join pixie. But then, I have ben wrong before.

Happy Days in Paradise.:):):)

2p!ssed2drive
9th Jun 2008, 12:34
"cut my head set cord as I am mumbling on and I have no idea what I am talking about and slap me on the apron as I'm a rude git Phil"?

:ok:
:bored:
:ugh:
:D

Animalclub
10th Jun 2008, 03:47
Sharpie

Didn't Nick's mate Boris arrive at the same time... all for the F27?

Sharpie
10th Jun 2008, 12:33
Yes, another great character out of the west, loved a few gargles now and then on a hot day, or for that matter, maybe a cold day as well. I remember once in Rabaul Yacht Club, Boris had a bet with a local identity(name forgotten) over who could lose the most weight in a given period.

Boris won the bet hands down, later to divulge that immediately before the weigh in, he drank as much water as he could, jumped on the scales carrying an extra 4-5 kilos of disposable load!

Last I heard was that he became mine host somewhere, running a very popular establishment. Salud Boris.:):):)