PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP problem

boofhead
18th Nov 2001, 23:00
I just bought a new computer for the kids, with a Celeron chip at 900 MHz, with 128 RAM etc. It was cheap, and seems to run ok although for the life of me I cant see why Microsoft had to change everything around.
But I have a problem with running games, such as those I loaded like Majesty and with preloaded games like Pinball. The display is defaulted to a small size on the screen (itself pretty small) and the enlarge button is greyed out. Is there a way to adjust this? Some setting I can get to? Otherwise I will have to take the stupid thing back I suppose.

Superpilot
19th Nov 2001, 14:15
Go into Display properties (right click the desktop and go to properties) then click settings. It sounds like your running in 640 x 480 with 16 colours - this normally happens when you have the incorrect drivers for your graphics card installed. If the slider does not allow you to move forward, i.e. a screen size of at least 1024 x 768 at 32bit is not possible...

Call your dealer up whoever they are, ask which kind of graphics card they put in there and demand that they install the correct drivers for you as you have a screen size and colour limitation.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

TwinAisle
22nd Nov 2001, 15:13
Alternatively, if you go to control panel, then system, then hardware, you can find what the video card is - then go straight to the manufacturer's website to get the latest driver. Must warn you tho, that XP is pretty good at getting the right drivers for you first time round, so it may be that a new driver is just not available..... email me direct for further advice if you like - I've had to become something of an XP guru just recently...