PDA

View Full Version : More trouble at T5

CHINOOKER
2nd Jun 2008, 07:46
Hi all,
Last night i went out for a beer with a good mate who's son is a BA 767 captain and he was telling me that his son believes that T5 will be chaotic again later this week! The reason he gave is that when the longhaul crews move in this week,the Flight Crew reporting area is just going to proove too small for everyone re pre-flight planning etc.....Anyone have any info on this??

Thunderbug
2nd Jun 2008, 08:06
You have received a very confused message........!

The move of longhaul crew to the T5 crew report is not happening this week, they are still reporting to the much shrunken facilities a Compass Centre for at least 3 more weeks.

Regarding the size of the CRC:. The new CRC is not big at all, but is not a designed as a place to linger, It is in, brief, out. It is not a glorified canteen / coffee bar as was Compass Centre. Jury is still out on this one - time will tell.

What is happening at T5 this week is the 2nd phase of moving routes to T5. On Thursday JFK, CAI, ABJ, BLR, BJS, CPT, LOS, PHX join MIA, SFO, LAX, YVR, HKG, NRT and shorthaul at T5.

The remaining 2 phases will happen on Sept 17 and a yet to be specified date in October.

I hope the management have learnt their lessons from T5's first day. Certainly the building and facilities are working much better. Still some gremlins concerning Jetties and the provision of security staff.

The baggage system is working well. By remaining difficulties seem to stem from transfer bags comming from other terminals. Moving these routes to T5 should improve matters as there will less bags arriving from T4 and more routing internally.

wiggy
2nd Jun 2008, 09:05
Thunderbug is right Chinooker, you've been confused.

Some of the BA Longhaul flights move to T5 this week but LongHaul Crew still, apart from the odd trial, will continue to brief in the "old" report centre until July.

CHINOOKER
2nd Jun 2008, 09:07
Thunderbug,
Thanks for that info. I was wondering if what my mate said was accurate,perhaps his son is too fond of a Latte over his pre-flight!!. Although it wouldn't surprise me if BA management had not forseen a potential problem here!!. I know T5 is working relatively well at present...bags from a/c to carousell averaging 15mins apparently and the lost bags now down to one in a thousand......BA speak not mine!!.
What i was somewhat concerned with,was that if the CRC is too small for what you all have to do,and chaos ensued,then i'm sure it would be "spun" to be the flight crews being stroppy post losing out in the courts over O/S.........Remember it is BA management were talking here!!

Thunderbug
2nd Jun 2008, 10:23
Chinooker

How the CRC will work out is going to be interesting. Currently it is working well with just shorthaul. Personally I like the new set up.

No Buses - Hurrah :E

Master of my own destiny. Keep an eye on the aircraft arrivals board whilst nursing a coffee and then walk out to the plane.

It will certainly be busier when the longhaul folks arrive. They have been asking for suggestions on how to approve the CRC. Maybe they should have done this prior to opening, but, hey they are learning.

There seems to an awful lot of cabin crew manager desks, communications room and such spaces that could be put to better use. The facility is long and thin and the flow through the CRC is wrong. The escalator from bus drop off down to CRC brings you in at the northern end which means everybody tends to walk the length of the facility with bags to the bag store and then back north to brief. Also the security point is being audited wjhich slows things down. New X-Ray machines though mean that I don't need to take the laptop out. They did manage to get a "explosives" reading on my toothpaste last week. Strong stuff!

Did hear one rumour that the due 'ealth & Safety rules the CRC is too small and longhaul crew will report to Waterside. Great, except having two groups completely devoid of reality (BA Managers & Longhaul Cabin Crew) in the same building cannot be good :ok:

T'bug

PC767
2nd Jun 2008, 11:45
ah bliss, being L/H CC being devoid of reality is the only thing that keeps me going. And being placed within Waterworld. Nah, don't think the suits will want us sullying the place. But I did hear the said rumour about CRC being too small. Seems the issue is that the fire escapes and evacuation procedures are insufficient according to the 'elf lot' (now these are people who are definately devoid of reality and perhaps common sense as well.) The last work I heard was that we are going on masse at the end of June and the suits will see how it pans out.

Ropey Pilot
2nd Jun 2008, 13:04
the flow through the CRC is wrong. The escalator from bus drop off down to CRC brings you in at the northern end which means everybody tends to walk the length of the facility with bags to the bag store and then back north to brief.

Why not use the entrance to the south of the bus drop off, one floor down in the elevator and then enter the CRC by the bag store:confused:

Notso Fantastic
2nd Jun 2008, 16:06
Chinooker, you have reported as 'News' something that has not actually happened yet! Hearsay! Are you seriously thinking this is a valid way to conduct 'News'?

L337
2nd Jun 2008, 16:26
Chinooker, maybe you would like to change the thread title. To... say

More trouble at T5 ? or Possibly going to be maybe More trouble at T5 ? or My friend down the pub says More trouble at T5

The headline thread title purports to be fact when it is little more than second hand gossip.