PDA

View Full Version : Metatags, help!

Dannyboyblue
2nd Jun 2008, 07:23
Hey all,

Im a first time website creator and so far its going ok, apart from when i search for it on the internet via google or yahoo i cannot find it.

Ive been told i need to put in metatags, i have no idea!! Just to show how little idea i have... yes i am......... using MS Frontpage!:}

Can anybody help me with code to put in as the section for metatags is totally pants in the help bit

Thanks guys

Dannyboy

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2008, 09:39
What metatags do you want to add?

Why do you think you need to add them?

What do you think adding them will achieve?

(If you do actually need any metatags it'll likely be because your ISP won't let you configure the server sufficiently to put out what you need properly in headers. In which case you may be better off looking for a more sophisticated ISP.)

kenhughes
2nd Jun 2008, 12:31
In addition, if you've only just put your website online for the first time, expect to wait at least six months before you see any results in Google, slightly less in Yahoo and Microsoft.

The main tag you need in the page headers is <title>Put title here</title>

Put a concise description of what's on the page - that carries more weight with search engines than any other header tag.

The only other meta tag you need to bother about is the description one: <meta name="description" content="Put description here" />

This is what will display in the search engine results pages when your site is shown.

dusk2dawn
2nd Jun 2008, 16:00
Google - meta tags creators (http://www.google.com/search?q=meta+tags+creator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

P.Pilcher
2nd Jun 2008, 20:02
Kenhughes:
For information, and much to my suprise, Google picked up my brand new website within a month of it first appearing on the net! I'm only thirteenth listing down on the appropriate search for holiday rental cottages as well.
However, to be fair, neither Yahoo or Lycos have picked it up yet so maybe I was lucky.

P.P.

Dannyboyblue
3rd Jun 2008, 09:40
Thanks guys, all im trying to achieve is to be able to search for the site, i am the most basic of website designers, in fact i push buttons and pictures appear, thats how bad it is!!!

DBB

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jun 2008, 11:49
all im trying to achieve is to be able to search for the site
Ah! - well, if you'd said that in the first place, you'd have got completely different, and more helpful, answers.

Here's how I got my company site a high Google listing, no "meta tags" in sight:

(1) Provide a popular free service
(2) Wait a few years

kenhughes
3rd Jun 2008, 12:36
P.P.

That is exceptional indeed. You must have gone online just before Google re-indexed, coupled with a well-written site.

It has been rumoured that Google has a "Sandbox" for new sites to play in for a while, (though Google will neither confirm or deny this). The idea being that this weeds out the spam sites. :confused:

Dannyboyblue
3rd Jun 2008, 17:07
Cheers all for the info

Well the site is free!! Trying to get anyone into aviation who wants too.

Im a huge advocat of aviation and want to promote it to anyone who will listen. As i was helped out by so many different people when i was younger im always up for giving something back. So i do cub scout and cadet tours round the airfield i work part time and im an instructor with the Air training corp.

Basically when somebody asked me what they had to do to get their PPL (including costs, pitfalls, realistic targets etc) i had a look around and unless you are being sold something you cannot get the full story, so i thought i would change that. Its not finished but ive got the bare bones up and running.

Trying to finish the website in my spare time but that is getting more difficult by the day.:(

Link removed - SD

DBB

Saab Dastard
3rd Jun 2008, 17:45
DBB,

Sorry, but you can't promote your website here, however well intentioned.

If you wish to ask the site owners permission to do so, please contact admin - use the "Contact Us" link in the blue bar at the bottom of the page.

SD

Dannyboyblue
3rd Jun 2008, 21:33
Hey Saab,

My bad chap, should have asked, but i would say have a look see what you think, if you know anyone wanting to get into flying then let them know where to go.

DBB

John Marsh
4th Jun 2008, 22:20
It also helps if you contact operators of related sites and arrange for them to link to yours and vice versa. Give them a summary of what you offer and why your site will be of interest to their visitors.

Also make the first few lines of text on your homepage reflect what the site offers.

BRL
4th Jun 2008, 22:41
Basically when somebody asked me what they had to do to get their PPL (including costs, pitfalls, realistic targets etc) i had a look around and unless you are being sold something you cannot get the full story, so i thought i would change that.

Dannyboyblue. You couldn't have looked very far. There is a huge forum here called the Private Flying forum that has more information in it about everything to do with getting a ppl and beyond.

The collective wealth of knowledge in that place could be canned and sold off for a fortune!

I challenge you to ask a question in there that cannot be answered......

PPRuNeUser0211
5th Jun 2008, 10:20
Perhaps "What is the price of a small baby whale in Kazahkstan?" or similar?

Opened yourself up to a world of one-liners there BRL!

Dannyboyblue
5th Jun 2008, 17:28
Good point BRL but how do you get to pprune?

Type in 'i want to learn to fly' in google and pprune does not appear in the first 100 options.

If you have a sudden urge to fly you go for whats the most basic thing to type in.

Pprune is an awesome way of getting info dont get me wrong, but we are talking more basic than that!!!

DBB

Dannyboyblue
5th Jun 2008, 17:31
Oh i forgot to say, PBA, i would guess three cows:}

DBB

Dannyboyblue
10th Jun 2008, 20:35
Guys thank you all for the great advice, im 20th in the google search and NUMBER 1 !!!!!!! in Yahoo

Cheers all have fun

Dan