View Full Version : Need some serious advice about converting faa to jaa

2nd Jun 2008, 01:18
Hey guys, Just needing some definite direction. I'm currently a airline pilot for a company in the U.S. I'm looking to convert my licences to JAA, what is the best way? Is there another way to do it without converting? Any help would be great. I want to be able to get a good job in the UK and I'm just confused on the best plan of action.

4th Jun 2008, 16:57
Hi there.

There is a thread talking about schools where to obtain JAA CPL ME here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328577 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328577)

I would look at these schools since you live in the US, and probably all of them have conversion courses. In the NAC page I found this http://www.naples-air-center.com/index.php?view=74 (http://www.naples-air-center.com/index.php?view=74) .I guess it’s the same for all schools…

4th Jun 2008, 18:07
I think that if you have 1500 hours P1 or greater in an aircraft with a MTOW greater than 30t then you only have to do an ATPL skills test, (to get issued with a 'restricted UK' ATPL). If you have less than that then you will have to do all 14 ATPL exams and the CPL and IR flight training/tests.

5th Jun 2008, 11:58
Hi all. I hold an ICAO ATP licence and FAA ATP and qualify for the restricted UK ATPL(G reg aircraft only) having satisfied the requirements for it-busy going through the motions.
I do recurrent training in the USA for my type and renew my ICAO licence from the FAA test that I do there annually.
Can I do the required JAR skills test at the Flight Safety International institution there which is a JAR approved facility or must I do it in the UK through a UK facility with a UK CAA inspector?
All advice will be most welcome.:confused:

5th Jun 2008, 13:15
For the skills test to finish the licence conversion it needs to be observed by a UK CAA examiner. I don't think it matters where the JAA compliant sim/TRE is so long as it's observed by the UK examiner.

So if you want to do it in the US, you'll need to fly the examiner out, pay his/her business class flights and accom. :suspect:

5th Jun 2008, 13:22
Thanks Redsnail. Thats what I feared! Hmmmm.......will have to look at all options but that may be the only way to go. Cheers.:(

5th Jun 2008, 21:41
Thanks for all the help. Are there any jobs out there that will just take me with my faa licenses? I have over 1500hrs, so thats not a problem?

6th Jun 2008, 10:18
The FAA licence is pretty much accepted everywhere in the world...except Europe, but remember that on the scheme of aviation Europe is but a pin prick on the globe!

Most of the Biz jets and some smaller privately owned aircraft in Europe are 'N' registered. Also the new Isle of Man aircraft register is the one to watch as they are dedicated to the biz jet end of the market, if the aircraft is registered as 'M-****' then the FAA or JAA licence is sufficient.

In the long run though it would be much easier to find work and keep work if you have both FAA and JAA tickets. Trust me, I've just found this out to my cost!

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1