PDA

View Full Version : Unmetered internet access in the UK

Rollingthunder
21st Sep 2000, 02:49
After the dismal failure of Altavista UK's unmetered internet access attempt, AOL UK has announced it will start offering unmetered access in the UK. At first only to folks who subscribe to AOL already, then others.
Could be good for all you over there, downside is you've then got to use AOL as your ISP. Don't know the cost.

spannersatcx
21st Sep 2000, 12:19
£15 per month for AOL, I'm migrating from Cable and Wireless to NTL world, although they charge 3.5p to connect on phone calls, you get unmetered internet access 24/7. I compared to BT (£9.99 for evening amd w/e)and C&W (£5.99 for 12 hrs eve and w/e)and NTL is the best option for me personally.

Tinstaafl
21st Sep 2000, 15:57
I use ntlworld.

As part of the 10 quid per month for unlimited access you also get 10 quid worth of phone calls (at ntl rates).

They charge a 3.5p connection fee per call but their per minute rates are about 1 p less than BT. Also those rates are for local AND national calls.

About the only downside is that they cut you off after 2 hours of use. You can redial of course, but it's a bit of pain if you're 90% of the way through downloading a file.

One other slight niggle, but I don't know if it's them or my setup: Often it takes a 30 secs to a minute or so before a new page begins to be loaded after clicking on the link.

Usually manage to log on 1st time. Nearly always get a connection at 45k, fastest was a shade under 50 k.

matelot
21st Sep 2000, 16:25
breathemail.net

One-off £50 for life, then totally unmetered access 24/7/365.

But you may have to wait for another announcement, as they're very popular!

PS breathemail cut-off - 6 hours.

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

[This message has been edited by matelot (edited 21 September 2000).]

InFinRetirement
21st Sep 2000, 18:36
IG Click.net

Joined them a few weeks ago. One off payment of £50 - plus £30 per annum (£80). Then £30 a year for 24/7.

It's fast, has a bandwidth of 155mb and very reliable. AND, very importnat this, NO cut-off time. BT is 2hrs others can be an hour, some even 30 minutes.

Bollocks!
21st Sep 2000, 19:50
www.thefreeinternet.com (http://www.thefreeinternet.com) - £50 per year for free access 24/7/365. A few minuses, such as disconnects every hour, but I can live with that (use Gozilla for long downloads & it normally gets a resume).

------------------
...thats another fine mess you've got me into ...

FL310
23rd Sep 2000, 01:02
www.plus.net (http://www.plus.net) at 5.99 / month, no disconnect, unlimited webspace, free own webaddress, highspeed....... :)