PDA

View Full Version : UFO's, Are they out there!

av8trflying
1st Jun 2008, 10:31
Peoples,

Just came across this link and would like to know if anyone else have seen UFO's during their aviation career or anything similiar that is a little out there.

After all, are we really alone?:ooh:

http://www.australia.to/story/0,25197,23040467-098,00,00.html (http://www.australia.to/story/0,25197,23040467-098,00,00.html)

PyroTek
1st Jun 2008, 10:54
I once saw a texan cut in front of us inbound to Redcliffe... does that count?:p

UFO's depend on the point of view..
any transponderless aircraft is a UFO from an ATC point of view:ok:
I have seen some weird stuff, bright lights above horizon etc. during the evening...
doubt it was anything though..

tail wheel
1st Jun 2008, 10:57
UFO: The secret revealed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIwPlKZXerI)!

:E

Monopole
1st Jun 2008, 10:57
James has a set of night vision goggles at the ranch which he uses to scan the sky for ships that may be in invisible mode. When you spot the ships you can zap them with a high powered laser pointer Well that explains alot. All the laser pointing going on around here must just be ET getting his own back.

sms777
1st Jun 2008, 11:04
I am not alone. I have friends!:E

Seriously. It has always been bothering me since i was a kid, reading stories, watching news reports, wondering if it was true or just another Hollywood gimmick trying to entertain us all. I have spent many hundreds of hours flying at night and day waiting for an encounter that never came. I flew the skies of Europe, the skies of Oz for the last 20 years and i have seen nothing. And i am pissed off.
So, when the next American UFO sighting comes in the news i will grab another Tooheys and will laugh at all the suckers that really think that they do exist.
As a matter of fact i will have one now and just read Pprune.

pw1340
1st Jun 2008, 11:48
Does this count?
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/pw1340/DSC00326.jpg

ZEEBEE
1st Jun 2008, 12:04
As an amateur astronomer and someone who was employed in the Deep Space tracking industry, I've spent many many nights observing and taking photos of the night sky and have never seen anything that wasn't easily explained as a natural phenomena.

That's not to say that UFO's don't exist, they do!
Anything we see flying that we can't readily identify is one, but it aint the same as LGMs (Little Green Men).

Having said that, one can't ever say that spaceships (or the like that people refer to when they call them UFO's) don't exist. It's just that there really isn't very good evidence to support them so far.

As Carl Sagan once said,
"There are a lot of interesting but unreliable sightings out there and there are a lot of reliable but uninteresting sightings also. What I want to see is a interesting AND reliable sighting"
So far, alas, there really aren't very (if any) many that stand up to scientific scrutiny.

The physics also don't readily support the existence as we know them, but then could we recognise them in some other guise?

If they have travelled here under some mechanism that short circuits the limitations imposed by the speed of light/mass relationship, then we may not recognise them anyway, in which case they should be classed as Unseen Flying Objects.
Still UFO's

sms777
1st Jun 2008, 12:25
You took the words right out of my mouth!

You deserve the throphy of the Best Moderator of the Moderating Awards of the Worlds Best Moderating Moderator of the Moderation Awards of the World Award. ....Phew! Congratulations.
PS. ( before you shut me down.... I am on your side!!)

sms

kingRB
1st Jun 2008, 13:24
only thing I have spotted whilst flying was back when I was doing my night VFR rating.

Was out on a navex one night, moonless, so very dark.
During the cruise I was doing a scan out the windows when I saw a massive fluro green glowing object descending and moving past us like we were standing still.

My guess, it was a decent size meteor or meteorite.

Scared me s**tless though in an otherwise uneventful and boring cruise!

Quite a sobering thought when you consider if you were extremely unlucky, it could actually hit you mid flight.

Only other instance where I have seriously questioned what I saw, was one night when I was living out near Wellington in South Australia.

I woke up at about 2 or 3 am due to a thunderstorm passing overhead.

Plenty of thunder and lightning with very heavy rain.

While I was taking a quick squiz at the storm out the window, I spotted a steady white light, sort of looked like a ball shape, doing a very wide orbit over the property I was at. My guess would have been 1,500 to 2000 feet in altitude. It was moving quite fast. But below the cloud base.

I observed it make 2 big orbits over the property, then it just dissapeared.

No idea what that was, but I am certain it wasnt an aircraft.
No one in their right mind would be flying at that time of night, under cB, at low altitude and at a spot that has no significant aviation relevance (IFR reporting / holding point etc).

Ball lightning?

ZEEBEE
1st Jun 2008, 14:16
Ball lightning?

Classic example

solowflyer
1st Jun 2008, 23:09
I worked on a road works crew for a couple of months once. I'm now convinced that not only are there UFO's but they have landed and live amongst us.:eek:

ZEEBEE
1st Jun 2008, 23:41
I worked on a road works crew for a couple of months once. I'm now convinced that not only are there UFO's but they have landed and live amongst us.

They've infiltrated drilling crews too !!!! :uhoh:

solowflyer
2nd Jun 2008, 00:37
Drilling is that what they call it these days thought it was called probing:ooh:

ules
2nd Jun 2008, 02:21
clearly not a ufo . but a fixed wing aicraft in flight!

denabol
2nd Jun 2008, 05:47
Saw an incredibly bright star overhead glide overhead for a short distance just at sunset a while back. Mentioned it to neighbour later. Said his son took him out to see it because it was an optimum Iridium flare offr sunlight off a solar panel on a coms satellite and his kid had a tracking program. They are only really bright over a few thousands metres of 'flare track'. Some are able to be predicted. Some are 'rogues' that appear out of nowhere, including even daylight, with the particular satellite rolling out of control. There are over 90 of them in orbit. If you see one at night at its brightest it is like watching a supernova come into view. You can look them up on the web under Iridium flares. If you flew into the max intensity of one of these flares you'd wonder what the hell was that, esecially as it leaves no trail like a meteor or space junk.

K9P
2nd Jun 2008, 06:35
If they travel hundreds of light years to carry out anal probes on hillbillies...........just how intelligent are they?

VH-XXX
2nd Jun 2008, 07:08
Pffftttt.... you conventional thinkers are all the same!

Aliens travel at light speed, so therefore are not "millions of light years" away.

I've seen it on Aliens V Predator II and it looked legit.

Capt Wally
2nd Jun 2008, 07:17
.......of course there are UFO's out there & where not alone, how could we be?
Ponder this simple situation.
Beyond our solar system (which is only a poofteenth of what's really out there) is lets say planet X. On planet X there are beings (who knows what kind it's academic anyway) & they are all sitting around either a camp fire or a computer & saying exactly what we are saying now."are there UFO's out there & are we alone'? Well if a single one of these beings said yes of course we are the only creatures & there is no such thing as a UFO don't be a fool, they are obvioulsy wrong, 'cause WE are here !
Yes I believe there are UFO/beings out there, could even be watching us self destruct right now, shouldn't take too long with the way we treat each other & the backyard we are sh*ting in !
I've seen plenty of odd looking things whilst flying over the last 30 yrs, but why bother trying to explain it, if we are not alone then that's that!:)

CW

CW

Stationair8
2nd Jun 2008, 08:33
Just ask Fred Valentich.

RYAN TCAD
2nd Jun 2008, 08:42
I like this one with the Concord. As the chase plane was filming for the TV commercial - the pilot noticed this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnyDw8qfjk

Angle of Attack
2nd Jun 2008, 11:20
Why in this day and age are all photographed UFO spottings still in a crappy blurred image or violently shaking video footage? Nuff said! Not that I dont believe other life exists but I dont beleive the sightings unless there is proof! Ive seen heaps of weird things but with common sense its pretty easy to relate them to naturally occuring phenomena. :hmm:

ZEEBEE
2nd Jun 2008, 12:35
Beyond our solar system (which is only a poofteenth of what's really out there) is lets say planet X. On planet X there are beings (who knows what kind it's academic anyway) & they are all sitting around either a camp fire or a computer & saying exactly what we are saying now."are there UFO's out there & are we alone'? Well if a single one of these beings said yes of course we are the only creatures & there is no such thing as a UFO don't be a fool, they are obvioulsy wrong, 'cause WE are here !

Bunches of sentient beans is NOT the same as UFO's.

It will be a long time before we can send something (even a can of coke) to another star system and it's taken us 17 Billion years to get here!

So, what's the chances of another civilisation arising (pretty good actually) and advancing to where they can send emmisaries to foreign star systems (not so good).

When we talk of UFO's we mean the whizzing whirring things from elsewhere.

Monopole
2nd Jun 2008, 13:08
We as Earthlings (considered intelligent only by our own standard or a lesser evolved lifeform), have sent many 'spaceships' (probes and satellites) to planets to orbit their atmosphere and moons as well as land on the surface to dig, collect, drill, probe and gather data. If (hypothetically) there was life of Mars for example, then the lattest probe to land on the surface would/could be considered a UFO to those inhabitants.

If we can achieve space exploration, then why cant another civilisation do the same to us (with or without occupants).

However if I ever see a UFO whilst flying, I think I would very much keep it to myself....... Wouldn't be worth the paperwork :oh::oh::oh:

ZEEBEE
2nd Jun 2008, 13:48
We as Earthlings (considered intelligent only by our own standard or a lesser evolved lifeform), have sent many 'spaceships' (probes and satellites) to planets to orbit their atmosphere and moons as well as land on the surface to dig, collect, drill, probe and gather data. If (hypothetically) there was life of Mars for example, then the lattest probe to land on the surface would/could be considered a UFO to those inhabitants

Sure thing, but

a) We don't really have ANY evidence for one of these probes, despite having fairly sophisticated radar networks looking for asteroids and the like.

b) Sending a probe to a nearby planet or even out of our Solar system is a mere doddle compared to whizzing one to even a nearby star system, let alone one that is several million light years away.
Moreover, it's likely that any civilisation that can send a probe as far as it needs to be sent to get to us, would have been radiating radio waves long before it did so. We would be receiving those concurrently with their probes, but so far we've received (2/3 (Sqroot(stuffall)))

c) If a probe landed next to a Martian, he/she/it would probably have quite a long time to look touch and write graffiti on it. It would not be a flash in the sky that was only visible to a "select few"

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Jun 2008, 14:04
Best scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW10xCub3Kg

Capt Wally
2nd Jun 2008, 14:44
zeebee careful yr just the type the beings will use for experiments:E

'Monopole'...........I agree entirely, but watch out zeebee could even be 'one of them':)

CW:ok:

Monopole
2nd Jun 2008, 15:54
ZEEBEE

If a probe landed next to a Martian, he/she/it would probably have quite a long time to look touch and write graffiti on it. It would not be a flash in the sky that was only visible to a "select few Fair enough, but those few, mentally crazy or otherwise, who calim to have seen, touched or been inside or abducted by one believe it. Therefore for them at least it is true, and I will be of an open mind until it is proven one way or another....

Just my opinion :ok:

ZEEBEE
2nd Jun 2008, 17:00
Fair enough, but those few, mentally crazy or otherwise, who calim to have seen, touched or been inside or abducted by one believe it. Therefore for them at least it is true, and I will be of an open mind until it is proven one way or another....

For a pretty good treatment of the quote above, read

"The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" author Carl Sagan.

He shows that people can be made to believe almost anything under the right circumstances.

For instance, Many years ago I and another contributor to this forum played an innocent prank on some of the populace of Whyalla.
We flew a kite at night with a red crepe paper covered torch suspended from the kite such that it flashed on and off depending on the dynamics.
It looked pretty good and before long we had a bunch of people convinced that it was a UFO.
It got a bit out of hand though, as someone called the newspaper who sent out a journo and in the end we had a couple of hundred people intently watching the display and willing it to come down.
It almost did, as the wind started to drop and we had a hard time keeping the kite up. Fortunately, the battery died before the kite came down or we would have been lynched.

The story appeared in the next day's paper and though we later told some of the readers that we perpetrated the whole thing, no one would believe us because no one wanted to.
It was much more interesting to believe that it was an ET

Voltaire said it once
"If you can induce people to believe absurdities, then you can induce them to commit atrocities"