PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer, which one?

spannersatcx
19th Sep 2000, 18:13
It looks like my present cd writer has given up the ghost. Can anyone recommend a decent CD-R/RW that doesn't cost the earth, preferably less than $300/£200.
Mainly for writing Video CD and the odd backup! Not SCSI, IDE/ATAPI prefered, that works with Easy CD Creator.

Thanks in advance.

ASRAAM
19th Sep 2000, 18:37
I don't have one yet as my old writer is still running fine, although it does make a few beer mats, however the new generation of 'burn proof' writers seems like an excellent idea.

fobotcso
19th Sep 2000, 18:44
You may find this link of interest.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/pcmag/labs/2000/08/storage/16.html

I've been happy with my HP 8100 Series for about 18 months but it will have been superseded and anyway I can't compare it with any others. (It too makes the occasional beer mat using the Adaptec Easy CD software).

If I had to replace it, however, I would seriously consider an external USB device to give me extra flexibility as pretty well all new PCs seem to have the USB interface and it is now supported by Windows 2000 and ME.

DreamCatcher
19th Sep 2000, 21:30
We're using a Nero Burning ROM at work. Source and target are the same CD-ROM. For copying, it reads the CD, copies an image file to the hard drive, then burns it to a blank in the same platter. Mixes data and audio as well.

We've found that a direct burn works every time, but a test and burn hangs the system (using Win ME).

Just FYI.

------------------
PistonBroke

Old Dog
19th Sep 2000, 23:34
Last week I was in Taipei. While looking around the computer centers, I came across this newest addition to Plextor range of CD-RW: 12R/10RW/32read (ATAPI, BURN-Proof). only NT $9000.

I am using the Creative 8433 (8R/4RW/32read, ATAPI). The latest price in Taipei is NT $5000. I paid a little more last month. Comes with Nero 4.0.8.8, but I upgraded to 5.0.1.1 successfully.

A word of advice, if you have both CD-ROM and CD-RW drives installed, they should be on a separate cable. Preferably CD-RW on secondary slave or master, CD-ROM on Primary slave (assuming your hard-disk is on Primary master). This arrangement would allow direct CD copy with less chance of getting beer-mats. Writing to image first is of course the best way to avoid beer-coasters.

BTW, in Taipei no-name CD-R cost as little as NT$6 a piece without jewel case (USD$ 0.20), while named brands about double. No-name CD-RW cost about NT$25 for 4x, NT$45 for 8x. I tried these cheap local brands, and I have good news! They are very good. As far as Quality is concerned, the Taiwanese have come a long way.

If you n/s TPE, go to Pateh Rd, sec. 1, (pronounced: bar-der Lu), Kwang Hwa shopping center. Another good place is opposite the Railway station, just beside Hilton hotel, by the bus stops. It is called the TT Station. 70% of ground level and all of basement level are computers and phone shops. You can't miss it. This place sells mobile phones very cheap too.

Some shop keepers speak fluent English here.

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 19 September 2000).]

Steamhead
20th Sep 2000, 01:32
9 months ago I purchased an IOMEGA CD R/W drive for £130 Sterling and have not had a moments trouble with it.

Mycroft
20th Sep 2000, 23:58
There are now a few companies that do a combined CD writer and DVD reader - you pay about 50% premium over a plain writer and you won't find one above 6 speed CDR, but as well as the movie potential some software is starting to come out on DVD and unfortunately there is not yet an affordable DVD writer.

ORAC
21st Sep 2000, 01:30
Does'nt really matter which but, as half mentioned above, get one that is BURN proof. These check the buFfer and stop the write if it is empty till it fills up again, which get around the problem of ending up with f****d disks in the middle of the write. They really do make it plug, play and write. They have started hitting the shops in the last 2 months. The others are being remaindered, but do not touch them unles you know what you are doing.

[This message has been edited by ORAC (edited 21 September 2000).]

spannersatcx
21st Sep 2000, 12:14
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be going for a Plextor, seems good and reasonable price, and it has the BURN proof technology as well,
thanks again.

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 21 September 2000).]

InFinRetirement
21st Sep 2000, 18:42
I'm going with Steamhead, I like Iomega and have one of their zip drives, very reliable. Ordered it today.

DreamCatcher
21st Sep 2000, 22:45
The boss bought mine, so I'm going home.

------------------
PistonBroke

[This message has been edited by DreamCatcher (edited 21 September 2000).]