PDA

View Full Version : Phone books ... Why?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
31st May 2008, 20:10
Feckit!

I just got my post deleted because the stupid DSL went down.

Simple question: Does anyone here use a phone book?

:* :* :* :*

Salusa
31st May 2008, 20:15
Nope.

Last place I resided at (in UK) I had three phone lines and used to get three Phone books, Yellow Pages, Thompson etc.. etc.. etc..

All ended up down the recycling centre.

srobarts
31st May 2008, 21:21
Before broadband we had five lines to run a business from home, five phone books, five YP, one of each rarely used. Haven't touched one for years now.

MacBoero
31st May 2008, 21:30
No, I asked BT and Thompson not to send us their directories any more. I find it quicker to use Yell.com for business numbers and addresses, and I can't remember ever needing to look up a personal number.

con-pilot
31st May 2008, 23:56
"Yellow Book", what's that?

srobarts
1st Jun 2008, 00:00
"Yellow Book", what's that?
The one you can't put in the recycling bin.

con-pilot
1st Jun 2008, 00:14
The one you can't put in the recycling bin.

You can't, why on earth not?

G-CPTN
1st Jun 2008, 00:19
Apparently, the printers and publishers of the UK telephone directories are required to produce a quantity that encompasses the total number of subscribers plus a percentage to cover new subscribers that might move into the district and for those who might lose or destroy their existing copy. It wouldn't be economic to set up the printing for a small number if they were to run out, so they always print the full quantity (plus the extras) - even if subscribers say that they don't need a copy . . .

Yellow Pages often cannot be collected through normal paper recycling schemes such as in kerbside recycling boxes or at recycling points or centres. This is because the paper mills that recycle the paper collected through these avenues need to have a certain standard of the raw material they use in order to maintain the quality of the end product. The yellow colouring used to print the Pages actually dyes the paper throughout the fibres. As the end product coming from paper mills generally needs to be white, this presents a problem because bulk quantities cannot be processed together with normal white paper as it requires different treatments. Also, a large volume of glue is used to hold the pages together, and this again causes contamination problems at paper mills. This means old Yellow Pages need to be sent to different paper mills that can process them or mills that are willing to accept higher levels of contamination than others.

There are about 25million homes in the UK. A typical yellow pages is about 5cm thick, so using that as an average you get 1250km which is about 777miles which is Lands End to somewhere between Inverness and John o Groats. And that's not including copies sent to companies and the ordinary telephone directories or Thompson etc.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Jun 2008, 04:49
You see what I mean?

I don't use the phonebook

Nobody I know uses the phone book

Do you use the phone book?

Does anyone you know use it?

No, I thought not :* :* :*

What a gigantic freaking waste. THey should all be stuffed slowly up the backside of whoever it is that thinks it's a good idea to print and distribute them.

I think someone ought to do something about it :* :*

merlinxx
1st Jun 2008, 05:54
I use www.ukphonebook.com you get 5 free searches a day. All directories go in recycle bin, bollox they send it, they sort it out!

kenhughes
1st Jun 2008, 06:26
What a gigantic freaking waste. THey should all be stuffed slowly up the backside of whoever it is that thinks it's a good idea to print and distribute them.

Of course, the results of this survey are tainted by the fact that you asked it on the internet. Most people who have internet would use it to find a phone number, but not everyone has internet (hard to belive, I know).

My owd mum wouldn't know an internet if she tripped over it, but she has a telephone and does sometimes have to look-up phone numbers. And where does she look - yes, the Phone Book or Yellow Pages.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Jun 2008, 06:50
In OZ, a phone book is the only way to go - seeing as how our main provider - Telstra - is now advertising a 'one for all, and we'll hook you up number', but....wait for it....the cost is.....prohibitive if you want to use it as a main source.
Cost is .....More from mobiles.......:yuk::yuk:

Cheers

arcniz
1st Jun 2008, 07:17
From the earliest days of the telephone until just... well..., yesterday, the telephone book has been a gold-mine of revenue for telcos from placements in the commercial advertising pages.

Even now, the lumpy phone book reaches best any purchase-minded people that are so disconnected or backward they don't even have the means to crank up FIREFOX to Google a search for the number of the nearest IKEA. The best pigeons likely are them that religiously shop from their phone book, so shopkeepers still pay a rich price to be included.

Like whalebone corsets... just a matter of time.