PDA

View Full Version : FAA licensed jobs in Europe?

mattpilot
31st May 2008, 11:20
I recently moved from the US back to the Europe after working as a flight instructor there. I was more or less planning on staying in the US but it turns out the school's designated official for foreigners was very sloppy on my forms to the USCIS and there is no way i can fix it. So i'm now stuck in europe / germany with FAA ratings.

I guess the obvious solution is to get JAA ratings. The problem is i don't have the funds or means of paying for it at the moment to get to a level where i'd be 'attractive' for airlines.

So i figured i'd take a long shot and post here and see if anyone knows of any jobs / opportunities in the EU area that require FAA certifications - i suppose thats not to far fetched with all those International flight departments here ;). I'm pretty much open to anything involving flying - hell, i'm even considering going to the middle east to find work.

As for my qualifications - I have a Bachelor of Science in Aviation Business Management. Just shy of 900 total flight hours - 80 Multi/twin - 80 helicopter. Rated as an MEI for Airplanes and CPL for Airplanes & Helicopter.

So guys... what are my odds of finding work in the EU? :/

corklad
31st May 2008, 17:35
sorry to sound like an ass but the answer is ZERO chance! At the very least you would need a full ATP that could be validated and then you would need hrs in a FAR/JAR 25 aircraft with at least 500PIC on said aircraft. Then that aircraft would probably have to be something thats not used much for the CAA to even consider validating you. e.g 1000hrs PIC in a EMB-195 as opposed to a 737 or A320 which every tom dick and harry in europe is rated on. It sux but thats the reality :eek:

cldrvr
31st May 2008, 23:15
N-reg jobs are far and few between in the EU, you can validate on the M-reg and possibly get some work there if you were typed or experienced. However 900 hours and zilch experience on anything worth pursuing leaves you with two realistic options, sit the JAR exams or try to find a job in the ME or Far East, most operators there require a min of 1,000 Hrs and time on type too.

Should have stuck it out a bit longer over there and get your hours and experience up. US FI hours are a bit useless over here.

AlphaMale
31st May 2008, 23:20
What about Bush Pilot jobs or becoming an instructor / air taxi in another country?

Or are you only looking for a jet job?

mattpilot
1st Jun 2008, 09:18
Argh.. figured the situation wouldn't be rosy. I appreciate the honesty guys. I wish i could of stuck it out / stayed in the US but as i said i got screwed over by the school - already spent last few months without flying because my work auth. expired (i don't want to get to into it).

I'm generally looking for any job - be it flight instructing, flying small props 'somewhere', or jet (the elusive job). I've come back to europe less than 2 weeks ago and i'm more or less confused about what the options are in this part of the world. :/

ramon76
1st Jun 2008, 19:23
Matt, keep searching.....

In Spain I know there are (at least) a couple of N registered aircraft (Pilatus) operarted privately, I think there must be more.... visit airfields, and ASK the ground handles of GA... good luck!