PDA

View Full Version : What could I do with..?

Beatriz Fontana
31st May 2008, 09:56
I'm in need of some learned help (no wise cracks, please...)

In a couple of months I'm going to have a bit of spare cash. Whilst the bank is bouncing up and down offering advice on long-term investing, I'm young enough to do something a little off the wall with it. It's quite a bit.

So do I:

Learn to dinghy sail and get a boat
Learn to fly
Take the CBT and direct access test and get a motorbike
Take up gliding again
Buy a small pad in the sun
Pack up and emigrate to somewhere sunny.

Any thoughts or other suggestions much appreciated!

Whirlygig
31st May 2008, 10:04
Take the CBT and direct access test and get a motorbike

:ok: Fine!! As long as you nod at other bikers!!! :} If you are any shorter than me (5' 5"), you might find a lot of modern sports bikes too high off the ground!! Might have to be an old classic!! :)

Learn to fly? Good choice too but you'll need to consider the cost of maintaining the licence with medicals and proficiency checks - gliding is cheaper in that respect but you can't really go to Le Touquet for lunch in a sail plane!!

Cheers

Whirls

Beatriz Fontana
31st May 2008, 10:15
Whirls,

Happy with an old classic!! (That statement could have other unintentional connotations.... I'm talking bikes!).

Yes, will nod. I'm from Yorkshire, all drivers and riders nod or raise an index finger in acknowledgement!

barry lloyd
31st May 2008, 10:26
Beatriz:

1) Fine, but you if you decide to do it in northern Europe, you can't do it all year round, so limited benefit for your investment.
2) Costs a lot of money, and of course requires upkeep of licence if you do it on a PPL basis, thus ongoing expenditure.
3) Requires you to keep the bike maintained and fuelled, while it is constantly depreciating in value.
4) as 1)
5) Good investment. (Relatively) low fares will be around for a long time yet. Property in all of southern Europe is being snapped up at a relentless pace, (wouldn't recommend going further afield than that); thus a constant increase in value, plus the option to rent it out and make more cash.
6) Depends on personal circumstances, but if funds allow, would recommend you spend a bit of time in your chosen destination before committing to anything.

One suggestion. Why not pick out a few unusual tourist destinations which you would find interesting, and plan to visit them. In the meantime you can keep the cash in the bank and earn some interest, which will help to pay for the trips!

Whirlygig
31st May 2008, 10:32
3) Requires you to keep the bike maintained and fuelled, while it is constantly depreciating in value.

Still a heck of a lot cheaper than a car!!! :ok: And an old classic does not depreciate!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Beatriz Fontana
31st May 2008, 10:34
Whirls,

That's what he says....

Oops, in trouble now!! (Didn't mean it!) :O

frostbite
31st May 2008, 13:13
Property in E. Europe is still attractive.

I really fancied a house in Bulgaria, eight years ago it was 31,000 fully furnished. It's now valued at over 150,000 and it looks like there's further to go.

LGS6753
31st May 2008, 16:18
IMHO property in Bulgaria has peaked, at least on the coast. They are building literally thousands of apartments, and there is or soon will be over-supply. It's a short summer season, too.

On the other hand, you could donate some of it to a charity of your choice....

Krystal n chips
31st May 2008, 20:51
Options 4, 5, and 6 :ok:...........in Oz or NZ......not the UK.....oh, and if you can get hold of a Discus or an LS 7....let me know and I will be delighted to test fly it for you.........not applicable to the UK however !:p:E

Salusa
31st May 2008, 21:06
Presuming you have no debts (mortgage, credit cards, loans) and you are single with no family commitments then really you can do with it as you please.

Personally I would look at overseas property somewhere sunny.

Effluent Man
1st Jun 2008, 12:22
While the last two are more attractive long term it occurs to me that they require much larger sums than the other options.Don't forget though the property offers a return from rental.I would be careful of placers accessed by cheap flights,if the oil prices stay up or rise further they will disappear.Somewhere in France with access by car might be better.Limousin is still good value despite the 80p Euro.

LordGrumpy
1st Jun 2008, 17:36
Monty Python suggested invesment in Diesel Powered Nuns.
Old property with land could be pleasant, especially if you have long term plans, for an energy efficient dwelling.

handysnaks
1st Jun 2008, 19:40
CBT and Bike
If you want classicish then try one of these
Handys new, old, new toy (http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/handysnaks/P5220001.jpg):ok:

also good for shortar$es.....and I should know:*

goudie
1st Jun 2008, 19:41
In a couple of months I'm going to have a bit of spare cash.

Beatriz, I'm surprised you haven't had a couple of offers by now, for your fair hand!

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2008, 19:43
Don't like the look of your pillion seat Handy; I'm not getting on that!!! :}

Cheers

Whirls

handysnaks
1st Jun 2008, 19:52
Not the first time anyones said that to me Whirls:p

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2008, 21:10
Go to this worthy charity website and make a payment, you know it makes sense:

Givsyursparedoshta.com

I can accept, oops, sorry, :oh: they can accept Paypal.

:E

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2008, 21:15
If Whirls sat on that pillion you would need to worry about where she'd rest her thigh length, high heeled, leather riding boots :uhoh: :ooh: :eek:

;)

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2008, 21:24
Ah, no rear footy-pegs! Crankcase? Failing that, I reckon I could reach the ... no, perhaps not! Maybe I use my own saddle with stirrups???

Cheers

Whirls

Beatriz Fontana
1st Jun 2008, 22:14
I'm surprised we've stayed on topic so long.. :}

So, probably property overseas (tick)
Bike lessons very tempting (5' 2" and a classic bike....)
Possible donation to worthy charity (tick)
Bloke in my life (tick!)

Thank you and goodnight!

frostbite
1st Jun 2008, 22:40
"Maybe I use my own saddle with stirrups???"

Don't you mean spurs?

Radar66
1st Jun 2008, 22:44
Beatriz, if the 'bloke' and 'property overseas' are in any way connected, be very careful girl.... Have heard too many of those stories ending in tears. ;)

Personally i would 'invest' the money to make money or to enrich yourself in other ways - for example your PPL would enhance your CV and give your more scope in future life. Ditto for the bike. Both would widen your horizons greatly.

Good luck in whatever option you finally choose. Just make sure that it is entirely your OWN choice and not reliant on any outside influence - it's generally not very wise to rely on other people for your own happiness and sense of self worth. :)

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2008, 22:45
Possible donation to worthy charity (tick)
Bloke (tick!)

Very kind, thankyou.

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2008, 23:31
Bea, how about (not that I'm biassed of course!!) a Triumph Bonneville America??

http://www.hermys.com/images/triumph/03bonnamlrg.jpg

Note reasonably sensible seat for pillions!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Wholigan
1st Jun 2008, 23:37
You could always get one of these - - -
http://www.paulridley.co.uk/TVR%20Tasmin%20Southbank.JPG

You will - of course - need the trailer as shown, and you will also need your own personal mechanic to do all of the essential repairs that will be needed if you drive it further than 2 miles at a time.

:E

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Jun 2008, 08:47
Oh Radar66 do lighten up! That was a big assumption to jump to to even consider that any option was connected with another! Blimey.

My bloke already lives overseas and as you can read from my location on my profile I'm not always in the UK either. So with respect I shall agree with your last sentence unless we can all be a little light-hearted about what has been a very trying episode in my life. Which was the point of the thread. Although I didn't make any disparaging remarks toward the French which Jet Blast stipulates.

ShyTorque: nice try ;)

handysnaks
2nd Jun 2008, 09:47
Note reasonably sensible seat for pillions!!!

Anyone can fix a small leather hassock to their rear guard and call it a pillion seat ;)

nice bike though:ok:

Effluent Man
2nd Jun 2008, 10:20
Just read the post about the high heeled riding boots.In the light of that I would like to change my advice..buy the bog-iron!

The SSK
2nd Jun 2008, 11:38
My daughter who's 28 and a bit of a babe has just acquired something called a 'Yamaha FJR'. Is this a clever move on her part?

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Jun 2008, 12:31
High heeled boots AND a bike? Wow, there's a thought ;)

Whirlygig
2nd Jun 2008, 12:43
Is this a clever move on her part?
Depends on her skill and experience! It's a BIG bike :}

Bea, I used to ride my motorbike in heels! Whilst it's not sensible, it's certainly not the most stupid thing you can do on a bike!!! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
2nd Jun 2008, 13:01
it's certainly not the most stupid thing you can do on a bike!!!

True - if doing "other stupid things" and the thing falls off its stand it can be very painful and very embarrasing......

Whirlygig
2nd Jun 2008, 13:07
True - but riding a KC125 in ra-ra skirt, camisole and no gloves (plus stilettos) was more stupid!!!

I didn't come off but the back of my calf found out the hard way how hot an exhaust pipe can get! :ouch: After that, my mother bought me a pair of Frank Thomas' boots!

One is now fully togged up!

Cheers

Whirls

Sorry Bea, this is turning into a bit of a bikers' thread - I know we should be discussing your "windfall(?)" but, y'know, get a load of bikers together and this is what happens!!!

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Jun 2008, 15:24
No probs, Whirls! It's far more entertaining :)

modelcuirstudios
2nd Jun 2008, 15:34
And if anyone wants to do leather bike photos for me I can find a place to put them.... like on my website:)

frostbite
2nd Jun 2008, 15:41
Valentino rode a brilliant race yesterday, and that face on top of his helmet is a stroke of genius.

Al R
2nd Jun 2008, 16:43
Beattie,

Mmm. Depends on your risk threshold, but the minimum investment of 40k means you'll have enough left over to buy the bike! Get in at the start. Perfect.

(It has to a 916 Senna mind) ;)

http://www.futurecapitalpartners.com/bioethanol.html

"The UK has signed up to the Kyoto Protocol targets and the EU targets more recently announced in Jan 2008. These require significant reductions in CO2 emissions. The UK Government was already moving in this direction and introduced legislation (Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation Order 2007) in October 2007 to require fuel suppliers to supply a minimum amount of renewable transport fuel from April 2008. The minimum level is a 2.5% (by volume) biofuel blend of total fuel sales from April 2008 rising to a minimum of 5% (by volume) from April 2010. The RTFO applies a penalty and incentive system to encourage compliance. The penalty for not blending is presently set at 15p a litre. Biofuels also have a 20p per litre lower duty. This delivers an immediate 35p a litre advantage against unblended fossil fuels. This support is guaranteed until April 2010. From then a minimum 30p/litre advantage is guaranteed."

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Jun 2008, 17:57
Al R, you are a star as always. I'll PM ya later :)

Al R
2nd Jun 2008, 18:16
lol. CAUTION: Would you trust this man???

I have to say, in all seriousness, that one looks quite tasty. Early adopting benefits, good growth projections, exit strategy neatly covered and a mandate all the way from Kyoto and Westminster.

Flying Farmer
2nd Jun 2008, 19:49
Buy the pub next door to me, the landlords a drunken idiot with no business idea at all.

With the custom of Rads Wholigan and meself you would cash in big time :E

Did I mention I'm banned haha :ok:

Whirlygig
2nd Jun 2008, 20:23
That's a cracking business investment FF, I'd buy the pub :ok: :}

Cheers

Whirls