PDA

View Full Version : Merged:Aircraft Crash - South Coast

Stretch06
31st May 2008, 07:08
Just caught the end of the 1700news on the radio. Heard something about a aircraft crash, I then found this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/31/2261264.htm

Never a good thing to hear happen.

RIP fellow aviator,

Stretch

Mr Bomb
31st May 2008, 08:40
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=572705

Anyone with more news? Condolences to friends and family of the deceased.

Mr B

alphacentauri
31st May 2008, 08:41
Just caught the end of it on the news. What was left of the tail made it look like a Nanchang CJ6.....?

ghyde
31st May 2008, 12:19
Just saw vision on ABC news.

CJ6 with ...6432... on the tail.

apacau
31st May 2008, 12:30
A sad loss to the Canberra GA community. RIP.

TBM-Legend
31st May 2008, 14:28
GC - RIP

All round good guy and aviation "doer"....

zip69
31st May 2008, 21:50
Although I only ever flew with you once, your larger than life presence arround the airport will be missed. RIP my friend.:(

Illyria
31st May 2008, 22:28
Is that confirmed? :|

sms777
1st Jun 2008, 00:39
Last sunday i took off right behind him out of Camden following him all the way to the Nowra open day.....

Damn it... sometimes i just hate aviation :sad:

RIP

Mick.B
1st Jun 2008, 02:46
Pilot details here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/01/2261589.htm

Illyria
1st Jun 2008, 06:44
damn .....

:uhoh:

VH-XXX
1st Jun 2008, 07:52
A poster in the recreationalflying.com.au website forum has suggested that the pilot did a low level pass followed by a pullup, stall turn, stall and nose into the dunes. No idea if this is true but he seems convinced that is what happened.

Illyria
1st Jun 2008, 07:56
One thing I despise with a passion, is speculation.

Let the experts determine the cause. Far more important at the moment is that a lot of people we know just lost a friend.

corowacomet
1st Jun 2008, 08:36
"....A poster in the recreationalflying.com.au website forum has suggested that the pilot did a low level pass followed by a pullup, stall turn, stall and nose into the dunes....."
Pretty tough to do a stall turn without getting the aeroplane to stop flying.
".....No idea if this is true but he seems convinced that is what happened...."
Let me guess, you could tell by the emphatic nature of his typing huh? Cheers for your input, it will thankfully be quickly forgotten.

The Comet.

OzFlyer07
1st Jun 2008, 10:00
Does anyone know the rego? The only reason I am asking is that I think it might be the one I flew in once.

VH-XXX
1st Jun 2008, 10:30
corowacomet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=182953) no idea who you are but you sound like a tool that I lost when working on my plane last week.

Nothing wrong with my post. It was alerting readers to an eye witness to events, that is all; and the location at which they can find this piece of information. I suggest that you might be suited to that kind of forum versus this one.

corowacomet
1st Jun 2008, 11:12
"....It was alerting readers to an eye witness to events...."
You verified that of course?
"...and the location at which they can find this piece of information..."
I would hardly call it 'information', actually just idle speculation on an anonymous forum from some two-bit RAAus pilot claiming to be an eyewitness.
".....I suggest that you might be suited to that kind of forum versus this one......"
Slagging off your source? Good move there.

The Comet.

VH-XXX
1st Jun 2008, 11:58
Go back to sleep please and leave me alone! If you were at Corowa yesterday you were a long way from the accident!

corowacomet
1st Jun 2008, 12:06
Methinks you've been had by a coincidence XXX!

The Comet.

Trevor the lover
2nd Jun 2008, 00:42
CorowaComet,

Lay off man. XXX was just printing what someone else wrote elsewhere, and believe it or not, eyewitness reports are integral to an accident investigation.

Lord Flashhart
2nd Jun 2008, 01:11
I had many hours in GC's Nanchangs many years ago. NNA, NNB etc, they are a lovely aircraft to fly (if you can get it to the threshhold).

GC was a true gentleman and larger than life character. He was passionate about his Nanchangs. Terrible news. My sincere condolences to family and friends. This is a sad loss to the aviation world.
RIP GC.

F
:(

Mick.B
2nd Jun 2008, 06:58
I too saw an eye witness report that the aircraft did not recover from a "vertical pull up". Eye witness reports are one of the most sort after pieces of info for the ATSB to work with. Its up to them to sort out the good from the bad. I get a little tired of people not being allowed to put across their view when we have an accident. Sure its terrible when we loose a fellow aviator even worse when we know them, but if you find the topic too sensitive you probably best not looking at the thread. The more we discuss an accident the better chance we have of understanding what went wrong and why. And maybe not suffer the same fate.

runway16
2nd Jun 2008, 17:27
Anyone have info on the service?

Date
Time
Location?

R

PlankBlender
2nd Jun 2008, 20:30
Sad but true, XXX and the poster on the RAA site are right, pilot and passenger friends of mine had to witness the terrible accident. Low level runway pass, and seemingly he was only missing ten feet or so trying to come back around through what looked like a hammer head turn for another fly-by.

Very sad, condolences to the family.

I will not forget the sight on take-off of the charred wreck just outside the airport boundary. It will be a reminder to always try and fly within my limits.

Trojan1981
3rd Jun 2008, 01:20
I fly into Moruya fairly often and have friends and family there. This is what witnesses said: ( I have not attatched the photos as I do not believe it is appropriate)

he had already made a low pass over the 05/23 runway, he was making a second pass at low level, pulled up at the end, inverted, and then rolled correct way up. It appears that at this stage the aircraft has stalled and dropped like a brick and crashed short of the runway on its belly as can be seen from the photos. The pilot was killed instantly.

RIP

Trojan1981
20th Jun 2008, 01:34
I have been told that the investigation for this accident has been handed over to the local police:eek:.
A friend of mine also recently had an accident in which the aircraft was extensively damaged but there were no injuries, he said the ATSB were not interested.
Is this normal? Are the ATSB only interested in investigating RPT operations?

Jenna Talia
20th Jun 2008, 17:14
Local Police will only investigate the accident insofar as reporting the matter to the Coroner, whether the ATSB are involved or not. This is normal in any fatal accident. I wouldn't read anything further into it than that.

JT

Trojan1981
21st Jun 2008, 01:01
Ok, no worries.
Cheers

permFO
21st Jun 2008, 08:38
The ATSB don't investigate every accident. They only investigate this sort of accident if there is some safety benefit to the wider aviation industry. By handing it over to the local police I would surmise that the eye witness accounts indicate that there is no safety benefit to be gained from tying up resources. There was also a Nanchang accident off the coast of Narabeen a couple of years ago and that wasn't investigated either. It should probably be investigated by the Warbird Association.