PDA

View Full Version : Many Jobs Out There?

Sam-MAN
31st May 2008, 00:02
Hello all.

Just looking for your opinions regarding the amount of jobs out there.

I've now left school and undertaking my GCSE's over the coming weeks. I'm heading off to do Aviation Operations at College then after seeing how that goes hopefully starting to undertake training (Although it is still 2 years off, lots could change).

Bearing in mind the current situation the aviation industry is in, it's led to me to wonder how many jobs are actually out there? From what I've read in the past, it's quite difficult to find a job in the UK if your looking to become a pilot. I was just wondering how 'easy' it is to find a job these days?

The last thing I want to be doing is getting out a loan to pay for training, then end up not being able to find a job at the end of it. Even thought it's something I would love to do, and always have wanted to do, I just wanted to 'clear up' how hard it is to find a job.

Cheers

Sam

(PS - I know this is quite a brief question, as it could all depend on personality etc etc in the interviews)

d41xcs
31st May 2008, 09:21
just briefly...

i don't really know of any job in the real world which is "easy" to get...a certain amount of work on your part is required! it may involve working a few years in a different, but slightly related job, in order to get experience which makes your cv stand out from the others. there are jobs about in the uk, it just depends how low you want to go, but certainly if you meet the requirements, the far east and india in the coming years are going to be a huge area of growth. if you're willing to make the change for a few years, it may well prove worthwhile.

in terms of not wanting to take out a loan...thats fine, but you're gonna need money from somewhere to pay for your training, which directly relates to my above point about getting a job which 1) gives you some really good experience about the industry and 2) gives you enough beer tokens to pay for your training. i'm afraid to say, that if you want to be an airline pilot, you're gonna have to spend some money at some point!

goog luck with it all tho - if you want it enough, you'll get it!

Sam-MAN
31st May 2008, 10:30
Cheers for the reply.

Think I didn't explain my self fully. I was trying to say I would be un-willing to get a loan and start the training if there wasn't many jobs about.

Cheers :ok:

tom_ace
31st May 2008, 10:43
What the guy meant is that there are jobs about, but you most likely won't walk into one straight after training.

pablo2973
31st May 2008, 11:02
The question is not if there are jobs about now , it should be if theres going to be jobs in a couple of years from now, and I believe, where are all living the end of a good cycle, and employers are going to require more and more from a first officer without experience,CPL,MCC.Type rating ,Hours on type and a bond for certain amount to the company ,and they are starting now with that .
If I were you I would think twice about getting a loan , the other main question is ,and is very sad but true , do you have anyone who can seriously help you out , money ,or connectionwise ?
thanks

Sam-MAN
31st May 2008, 13:05
Hello.

Thanks for the replies.

Getting help with the money isn't really an option for me. My family isn't particularly 'rich' and my parents cannot afford to go giving me money for flying lessons although they said they'll help me out as much as they can. My mum said she could put the money on her mortgage as she works in a bank and in the longterm it'd work out cheaper than getting a loan (I think :confused:).

It's something I've always dreamed of doing, and would still love to do, but I have to face reality and sum up my options properly on whether or not I could get a job at the end of it.

Thanks

Sam

G SXTY
31st May 2008, 22:20
At your age you have all the time in the world. There's no need to hurry, and in the current economic climate you would probably be better off aiming to qualify in 2 to 3 years time.

Why not get a job that funds PPL training, follow the modular route and pay for your training as you go. That way you minimise your debt and avoid re-mortgaging your parents' house. With less debt you have more flexibility to take low-paid jobs such as instructing (try paying for an instructor rating on top of a £70k+ loan).

It may take a little longer to qualify, but I say again - that is a good thing at the moment, and you have all the time in the world.