PDA

View Full Version : WIndows XP cracked

Pengineer
17th Nov 2001, 05:56
Whats the general opinion about Windows XP?
Prior to its launch I was reading all about its wonderful new features and improved stability etc, I was interested in buying it until I realised that I would only be able to load it on one of my two computers due to the new security fearures which prevent it from being installed on more than one computer.
One week before its official launch I find several cracked versions available on the net (free gratis) so I download and install it and I have to say I am impressed with its performance and stability. If it weren't for the multi-user restrictions I would have bought it, instead I ended up getting it for free.
Cheers Bill.

Pen it off!
17th Nov 2001, 06:27
Pen,

give us a clue then where to get it and how long it took to download. :D :D :D

spannersatcx
17th Nov 2001, 13:41
Pengineer I'm sue this thread will get removed as you seem to advocate software piracy and that has to be the worst reason ever for justifying it. If you'd of looked at another thread on XP you would of found the following that I had put on it. So what's your excuse now!

Found out this today - Within 30 days of installing the OS you must activate it with MS. Windoz XP sends a numeric identifier generated from 10 of your pc's components to MS's server, which in turn sends you a certificate activating your copy of XP on that machine.
If you try to install XP on a different pc, producing a new hardware identifier, a dialog box will pop up asking you to call an operator and explain the discrepancy. If satisfied with your response (MS says it will give users the benefit of the doubt), the operator will issue a new certificate.

If you have a network card and leave it alone, you should be able to remove or replace upto 6 other signature elements without triggering activation, MS says, otherwise, you can change up to 4 other elements before having to contact MS. Adding components never triggers a challenge.

Importantly, WPA resets after 120 days, using whatever you have then as the activated configuration. So after 4 months you can install XP on a second PC, activate it and keep the first one operating without falling foul of WPA.
Doing so would violate the licence, but MS is probably wise in cutting some slack here.

Hope that you find that useful.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
17th Nov 2001, 16:16
Discussions about obtaining pirate software are NOT permitted on this site.

If I see any posts requesting pirated software or posts containing URLs from which such software may be obtained then I will ban the poster.

--Mik

[ 17 November 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Dispatcher ]

Mac the Knife
17th Nov 2001, 21:34
I suspect (knowing M$) that XP probably rechecks registration very carefully before allowing updates/fixes/patches to be downloaded/installed.

Anyone have any information about this?

BEagle
27th Jul 2003, 03:41
Yes - if the system detects fraudulent attempts to update software which hasn't been properly bought and correctly registered, a software bomb will be sent to your computer which will cause the processor to freeze and the hard drive to enter a bespoke configuration preventing further use.

Unfortunately that's not true. I wish it was though; then all those software thieves would find their computers had suddenly become totally useless.

curmudgeon
27th Jul 2003, 16:17
Having decided to upgrade my bought and paid for copy of Windows 95 to Windows 98, I bought the official upgrade disk fron Microsoft.

It didn't work and I kept getting the blue screen of death. Got on to Microsoft technical support, and they were about as much use as a one legged man at an @rse kicking contest. Now, a few years later, having spent many hours trying to get the upgrade to work after Microsoft tech support gave up, I am still running Windows 95 on that machine.

And their opening hours - you can phone anytime between 9.00am and 5.30pm. So I either take a day off work or take the desktop in to work with me?

Whilst I don't condone software piracy, sometimes I get the idea that Microsoft encourages it.

cur

amanoffewwords
27th Jul 2003, 17:27
This is like a twilight zone thread - what happened between Nov 2001 and now? :confused:

fobotcso
27th Jul 2003, 18:58
A beautiful Princess kissed a frog called BEagle and he woke up. :) :)

timmcat
28th Jul 2003, 05:38
amanoffewwords..,I think this thread has been resurrected due to the appearance of another thread which has since mysteriously disappeared....

PPRuNe Pop
28th Jul 2003, 14:40
And to avoid further temptation I am now closing it.

This subject is taboo on PPRuNe.