PDA

View Full Version : Employment with CPL

homer09001
30th May 2008, 19:55
Im looking to go to OBA in the next 5-6 years max hopefully and do my JAA PPL, then after building some hours going back to do my CPL, but will any airlines employ on just a CPL Multi Engine?

I can pretty much assume that no airline will employ anyone on a CPL Single Engine especialy in the UK as most airlines operate Multi's

Im not 100% knowledgable in the licensing area's so please excuse me on that.

Im pretty much set on gaining my PPL by my 30th birthday 9 years from now, its just a case of getting rid of all my financial ties at the moment.

Also can anyone comment on the quality of training on at OBA, i have searched the forums and found a mixture of good and bad reviews about them, same with OFT, at the end of the day learning in the UK is out of the question, due to the shear expense over here, my local flying school charge £150 a lesson at NCL.

Any help would be appreciated.

99jolegg
30th May 2008, 20:38
You'll need a minimum of CPL with IR for the airlines, I believe.

Instruction at OBA is good in parts, very bad in others. It's luck of the draw as to which instructor you get but that's the same with quite a few schools I'd imagine. Don't know about OFT I'm afraid.

geordiejet
30th May 2008, 20:46
Hi there.

It is a little hard to say how things will be like in the next few years. But I'm goign to say that airlines will not take anyone on with just a CPL/IR. Things are looking bleak for the now, but like everyone says here, aviation is all about cycles. Although with experts predicting $200 in just a few years, aviation is going to change.

You will need a type rating - and you will need to pay for your line training. I.e. the new easyJet scheme, where you actually have to pay to fly for them! Or the Ryanair cadet scheme, which, although expensive, gives you a job at the end of it.

I would do a good search regarding that school. I've been there before, and I can only suggest you do a very good search on them - as you should for anywhere you train. And take heed of all of the warnings - and ask yourself why there are so many people with bad reports about a school.

Obviously, you haven't been taken in by the 'integrated is the only way crowd' which is good. Going modular is cheaper, same licences, but much less financial risk.

Ouch! £150 an hour! Been a while since I been to NCL. It is often said that training close to home is the best way forward, and coming from someone who has only trained many miles from home - I can honestly say, I would have preferred to do it part time - close to home.

At MME, I'm sure one of the schools does everything up to CPL/IR and even flight instructors rating. Have you considered just going a few days a week, and keeping on a full time job?

homer09001
30th May 2008, 21:11
with my current financial comitments i could only afford a lesson a month which is not enough, what i learn will not stick to a high enough standard, one reason i thought the OBA option would be a better idea is that, the weather is generally a lot better over there so lessons would be less likely to get cancelled.

What i was looking at doing is clearing my current financial commitments and getting a loan for about £7000 which would consist of:

£600 for flights to and from US
£4500 for estimated course cost
£1000 for extra time if needed
£900 personal allowance whilst over there food etc.

As for my enquiry regarding the CPL, i don't have any intention of going all the way to the ATPL etc for flying for main stream airlines, i was generaly wondering if any small freight airlines etc would consider someone with a CPL/Night.
if not then i may consider it purely for the ability to legaly gain income from flying, e.g. tours etc. which the basic PPL would not allow.

Mercenary Pilot
30th May 2008, 21:53
You would need an instrument rating (IR)to really do anything other then instructing (which would also require a further rating).

You could technically do aerial work but to be honest, there are many pilots with CPL/IR's and very few of those types of jobs.

I would start by reading this thread, it will give you a bit more idea of what is required
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649