PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keys not working

NRU74
30th May 2008, 16:41
Help.
I bought an ASUS eee 701 in Feb 08 and have been very satisfied with it -I bought it mainly to use in France for surfing and e mail . Unfortunately, last week, Mrs NRU spilled most of a cup of tea on the keyboard.
I managed to remove the keyboard, used hair dryer, WD40 etc - but the V,L,F and full stop keys don't work, virtually all the rest are OK
Can anyone point me to how I can change, say, some of the little used keys eg = [ ] to type VLF etc ?

Avtrician
31st May 2008, 03:49
My daughter did a similar thing to her Dell laptop, she spilled orange juice tho, not good After a mother board cleanup at work with special solvents and alcohol, key board was the only thing not working was the keyboard. A replacement from Ebay fixed that problem The coffee has got into the keyboard membrane, so swaping new keys wont fix it as its the elec contacts that are stuffed. A new keyboard should fix it.

Saab Dastard
31st May 2008, 09:42
As a temporary expedient, you can always plug in a cheap external keyboard - when you are at home obviously! Not very mobile, I know!

But it's also a useful way of getting a different keyboard layout - e.g. if you want both British and French keyboards. Buy a French keyboard in France (or whatever is appropriate to circumstances). My parents spend a lot of time in France now (creaking joints enjoy the sun), and found this suggestion very helpful.

SD

Octane
31st May 2008, 11:40
NRU74,

Does your wife take her tea with milk and sugar?!

Next time, forget the WD40. Sponge or rinse with water until the water soluble contaminant is gone without drenching anything else, then dry in the sun or with hair dryer etc (Don't microwave it as I heard some dippy person did!).

Note:This only applies to devices not 'live' or turned on!

Octane

NutLoose
1st Jun 2008, 02:10
First thing to do is instantly remove the battery then do as above...... look on ebay there are often new keyboards for sale.......

here you go, buy it now £15 new keyboard

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Asus-EEE-PC-701-Laptop-Replacement-Keyboards_W0QQitemZ120266388432QQihZ002QQcategoryZ31568QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh and something for the other half

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-EEEPC-701-900-SERIES-SILICONE-KEYBOARD-COVER-SKIN_W0QQitemZ220240823965QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31568QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NRU74
1st Jun 2008, 07:26
Nutloose
Thanks-
I found it myself on e Bay yesterday afternoon- and I should have searched on Google for a new keyboard in the first place.
Anyway -thanks to all for their assistance