PDA

View Full Version : PC Upgrade Advice!

FL245
16th Nov 2001, 23:10
Hi Folks,

If I could pick the brains of you computer guys. I want to upgrade my system and was thinking of replacing my motherboard, processor and memory. The problem is Intel or AMD processor, which kind of mother board (Dont understand all this socket A or Slot 1, etc etc description of motherboards). Should I get the soundcard on the motherbaord etc etc.

many many thanks in advance

WhiteSail
17th Nov 2001, 03:06
Please accept, I would not wish to be rude to you, but if you don't understand "what fits into what", should you be considering upgrading your computer yourself?

You should understand, there are many more issues to consider, other than those you have already mentioned.

For example, if your existing machine is relatively old, it is possible it has an "AT" case. New motherboards require an "ATX" case. If you are considering a new generation "AMD" processor, you will require a minimum of a 300watt AMD approved power supply. Some graphics cards will not work with some processors or chipsets. The list goes on.

Please don't feel I am trying to put you off, I am simply pointing out just a few of the potential, (and expensive) pitfalls.

My suggestion is, you find a good source of information on building and/or upgrading computers, either on the web or probably a better bet, at your local library, and build up a starter knowledge base, before you attempt your goal.

There were a good series of articles in PC Adviser recently and I know you can get back copies of that magazine.

The short answer is, no one can offer sensible advise about all the variations that are available to you.

The alternative is, to post the specs. of your present machine, and perhaps someone will be able to come up with a viable upgrade for you.

I really hope this helps. It is not ment to be a negative response.

Lockstitch
18th Nov 2001, 01:37
FL245 Further to White Sail`s comments,I have found to my cost that very well known chips are not necessarily compatable with equally well known motherboads.Beware.

Evo7
18th Nov 2001, 12:04
Lockstitch

Been there too. Easiest solution IMHO is to buy a CPU/Motherboard/Memory bundle from someone. That combination should have been tested by them - and if it doesn't work it is their problem, not yours. The likes of novatech, dabs, simply etc. all offer some good upgrade bundles.

Another gotcha are claims that motherboards will support faster chips. Thinking that you will buy a motherboard with a P3-1GHz and just swap the chip for a P4-2GHz in a year when they are dirt cheap sounds like a way to save a bit of money but it isn't going to happen like that (I've finally given up on this one after several attempts. Slow learner). Chip designs change fast, and often the manufacturer is guessing or extrapolating Intel/AMD press releases into the future. Almost never works out.

FL245
18th Nov 2001, 17:50
Thanks Guys

Evo 7, think I will take your advice and purchase chip and motherboard bundle.

Many Thanks