PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder High Speed - the verdict

BahrainLad
16th Nov 2001, 17:28
Well, I promised in another thread that I would report - so here goes.

The guy (1) arrived at 0840 having said that they would be around between 0800 and 1200.

He did a quick recce of the house and worked out where the cable would have to go.

Soon some of his colleagues arrived and they started digging a trench in the front garden - about 3/4 of a foot wide and the same deep. Into that went a pipe with the cable in. After we sorted out a small fracas with the neighbours, they continued.

Meanwhile guy (3) was upstairs with the PC. It already had a NIC and detected the Motorola Cable modem straight away. A bit of fiddling and then everything was prepared (proxy, MAC address etc.).

They drilled a hole in the wall in the front bedroom as the connection to the outside. A small telewest box was put on the wall above this hole and then the cable run round the room and through the wall to the room where the PC is. Very tidily done with white RJ45.

Outside, they ran a black cable (everything- proof, to last 25 years) down the front of the house and into a box on the wall just before where it went into the ground.

Then we plugged in the cable to the modem, called BY to give them the MAC address and voila. It worked. First time, no fuss. Everything was cleared and they left by 1040.

So, for the price of £25 (now £50) installation and £33 a month, I have broadband (512kbps), permanently on internet. Files, streaming video and audio are all done with no fuss.

A wholehearted recommendation. But they're busy - it took a 3 week wait for them to come and yesterday they did 7 houses in our area. But if you can get it, get it!

BahrainLad
16th Nov 2001, 20:30
I asked them about the 'billing of it' and apparently you get it in the post at some point, when you can then set up direct debit etc.

To reassure you further, all I got was the slip of paper with the username/password on it and the date of installation as well.

According to the guy that installed it, they calculate it's 7 years per property before they start to make a profit!

tony draper
22nd Nov 2001, 20:13
Ha, one up on you people ,did the instalation myself,cable sockets ect, all they had to do was connect up, don't trust some of the monkeys they employ as installers.
That was just the telephone line, don't have the hi speed stuff,just have blueyonder surfunlimited, don't download enough to justify it.
The pain in the arse at the momment, is that blueyonder webmail has been off for nearly three weeks in this area, not that important for me, but some people must be climbing the walls.
The tech support line is ok once you get thru,they seem to know their stuff, if you ever have need to call them ,make up a flask of coffee, before you call you, are generaly in for a long time on hold.
;)

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]