PDA

View Full Version : W98 'Power saving'

BOAC
9th Dec 2000, 21:56
OK you buffs! A W98 question. Advanced Power Management installed and showing 'ok', but I need to re-activate it via the 'Control Panel' every time I boot up or it doesn't work. Any ideas?

DreamCatcher
10th Dec 2000, 12:19
Has it been enabled in your CMOS settings?(usually hit DEL on boot-up to enter CMOS - and tread carefully).

------------------
'I'll take control...'
'You have control.'
'Well give me it then!!'

BOAC
11th Dec 2000, 00:25
Yes, I think I've got the settings right there. Once I have 'activated' it, it stays working till next re-boot.

AquaPlane
15th Dec 2000, 17:17
Sounds to me as if your Windows installation does not have the correct drivers for, or cannot for some other reaosn control the APM chips on your motherboard. If APM is enabled in the BIOS, Windows should use the BIOS APM. If it's disabled in the BIOS, Windows uses it's own.

To be honest the APM in W9x isn't much cop. The standby function is notoriously unreliable, sometimes not working at all and othertimes its puts your putah to sleep with lethal injection where your reset button doesn't even work.

Unless you need specific standby features, I'd use the Monitor and HDD settings withing the screensaver control panel. These are the bits that use the most power on your PC.

Aq