PDA

View Full Version : BA emergency landing at Southend?

michael1950
30th May 2008, 07:27
Looks like the Warsaw service yesterday made an emergency landing at Southend because of hydraulics problem, anyone know some details of this?

Thank you.

Mister Geezer
30th May 2008, 07:32
Mmmm... very short runway and a hydraulics problem! :confused:

GGFFB
30th May 2008, 07:47
It was a flap problem, aircraft was FAA, LCY based Rj100

michael1950
30th May 2008, 08:07
Correct, this was LCY, which was delayed in Warsaw while they were trying to repare the problem, obv not too well.

towser
30th May 2008, 08:41
Amazing where all these details come from. It had a flap problem in Warsaw that was fixed. It diverted to Southend due to a FADEC fault. There was NO emergency of any sort.

SENFLYER
30th May 2008, 09:50
Mmmm... very short runway and a hydraulics problem!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

God I wish people would stop battering the runway at southend, I know its not the biggest in the world but the LDA on 24 is longer than both directions at LCY and no one moans about that runway. :ugh:

A4
30th May 2008, 10:03
Don't be so sensetive SEN FLYER :) The comment was meant in terms of using a shortish runway when you have hydraulic problems. Don't know much the RJ - other than it has no reverse thrust. If a hyd problem is going to affect you stopping.... then aim for a long runway.. not a marginal (but just enough) one.

As it seems it was a FADEC prob then there is no issue with SOU.

L8r

A4

acebaxter
30th May 2008, 13:36
Why would you divert due to a FADEC fault?

TheOddOne
30th May 2008, 13:44
'cos you might want to go somewhere where it could be fixed?

TOO

FlyboyUK
30th May 2008, 16:11
Been a few years since I flew the RJ, but something rings a distant bell about not being able to depart LCY with a u/s FADEC. So although you could land, it was better (and company policy) to divert.

Dash-7 lover
30th May 2008, 16:22
Flyboy Uk - correct! landing with u/s Fadec isn't a prob but you needed 4 serviceable one's to get out ie. all the performance you could get so for operational and airport constraints SEN was always the preference!

FlyboyUK
30th May 2008, 18:13
I'm glad to see you remember Dash-7. Hope you are well! :ok:

tristar500
30th May 2008, 18:49
... All BACityflyer RJ100s are based in EDI...

:ok:

JW411
30th May 2008, 20:19
If it really had been a problem with getting the flaps down then it would have gone to Stansted.

Landing Distance Required with 33° flap is around 1250 metres at MLW so with 0° flap we are looking at something like 2500 metres.

I think that would knock Southend completely out of the picture.

towser
30th May 2008, 21:07
As already stated it was not a flap fault. The problem was with the FADEC and no you don't lose the engine if you lose the fadec. Cityflyer has a policy that both flightdeck crew need to have gained a certain level of experience on type before operating into LCY with a FADEC inop. This is because with a FADEC out you may have to land with above idle thrust on that engine and as has been said already LCY is rather short and having residual thrust on even 1 engine makes it more interesting than normal.

TheGorrilla
30th May 2008, 21:17
Why would you divert due to a FADEC fault?

Cos if you've had one fail already or departed with one u/s according to the MEL, you cant then depart with another unserviceable.