PDA

View Full Version : System resource eater?

touch&go
14th Nov 2001, 02:40
I think I have a small problem with something eating up my systems resourses, the problem is after an hour or so of using my PC it looses colours and icons, and won't let me even shut down the PC, I have noticed the system resource percentage over the time going down to zero, what is the problem and is there a fix?, I thought of buying more memory, but this won't fix the problem but only give me more time between re-boots.

Thanks
T&G

fobotcso
14th Nov 2001, 03:40
Sounds as though you have a "leaky app"! That is to say, one of the applications you have running in the background is consuming your memory and causing your symptoms. It is gradually increasing the amount of RAM it is hogging instead of refreshing a single segment of memory.

We need to know your operating system. Windows NT and 2000 allow you to see the amount of memory each process is using. With Win 98 it will be a case of using Ctrl/Alt/Del and stopping the applications running one at a time until you find that the problem is stopped. It will probably be a third party program such as a screen saver that is causing the problem.

Get back with a few more details if you can't fix it.

Superpilot
14th Nov 2001, 14:06
Don't be too alarmed but you may have the new "Nimda" virus which is a resource eating pig. We had it at work on 7 computers! If you have an anti-virus program update the pattern file and run a thorough scan, or you can download one from www.antivirus.com (http://www.antivirus.com). Almost every demo CD includes one or more anti-virus programs.

[ 14 November 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

G.Khan
14th Nov 2001, 14:15
In addition to fobotsco and super pilot you may find this little utility helps to control your RAM better! http://www.memturbo.com/

touch&go
15th Nov 2001, 01:33
Thanks's for the help so far.

I'm running ME as an operating system, I have Norton's installed which does a full check every week, I also have Norton's fire wall installed.

Would Norton's find the virus or is there a way of checking if I have the little ******?.

I have selectivr start up to cut down the programs running in the back ground and this hasn't worked.

Thanks again for your help,

T&G

Kol Nidre
15th Nov 2001, 08:21
By and large most of Symantec's software (Norton) is resource hungry and they all slow down your PC, more so with Norton.
The Norton firewall is recommeded and can hold its own with BlackIce and Zone Alkarm, however with Zone Alarm its important to contact your ISP or broadband provider to get the IP address for their system 'heartbeat' as Zone alarm will shut the system down if you don't set up your IP's hearbeat as an allowable inwards 'ping'.
Hearbeat is common with providers to enable then to check quality, response time, and monitoring time on line etc.

Superpilot
15th Nov 2001, 14:58
Ditto K.N,

Norton programs are *extremely* resource hungry (actually I’m convinced that’s what’s causing you this grief). I remember once my FS2000 frame rate dropped from 20 to 1.5 while Norton was busy “crash-guarding” my computer – it’s all rather unnecessary, if you have the incorrect setup it will crash anyway!

Do yourself a favour and get rid of anything Norton. I’ve grown a dislike for all Norton products because of their constant meddling with my computer. If you want a nice, little and smart antivirus program, just get hold “PC-Cillin Anti-virus”. One of the best rated Firewall’s is “Sygate Personal Firewall” (free for personal use). Both of these are unbeatable and simple to use.

Actually I can't recall if ME has this feature but if you ctr+alt+del and wait for the task manager to come up, try clicking on the "processes tab" and try to find out which particular application is using up all the resources - I'm not sure if you can do this in ME though, but worth a try. If you continue to experience the problem make sure the Norton Antivirus program is up to date, you may need to download the latest pattern files (normally through the program itself) since this virus has only been around a while.