PDA

View Full Version : texan top class

dsjoshua
30th May 2008, 06:44
hey just some info,
ive just started my license with freeflying flight school in emerald qld, flying a new top class texan plane and was wondering if these are good planes to learn in and any tips for starting off. any feedback would be great thanks :ok:
dsjoshua

dsjoshua
30th May 2008, 08:04
is there any benefit in starting training in a certain plane. i have just started my training in a top class texan. any feedback would be great and anytips for first starting off would be great
cheers

Lasiorhinus
30th May 2008, 08:45
http://wiw.org/%7Ejess/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/texan1.gif

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th May 2008, 08:53
flying a new top class texan plane

http://http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/WilBod/Welkoms21.jpg

Learning to fly in a T6 Texan!

Now that would be interesting!

Dr :8

VH-XXX
30th May 2008, 09:05
They are not a bad machine to learn in generally. They have a reasonable cruise somewhere from 100 to 110 knots generally and a very slow stall speed. They have the reliability of the Rotax and are a nice machine to fly. Being fairly easy to fly, don't be surprised if it took you a few hours to "upgrade" to a Jab or similar.

Personally I would not like to be a private owner of one. The bubble canopy is extremely hot, you have to stand on the seats to get in it, they are not painted (they are gelcoat) and they are very expensive to buy.

VH-FTS
30th May 2008, 11:43
I hope the Texan has nothing to do with Rod Tyson...

VH-FTS
30th May 2008, 11:45
Hmmm...this thread answered my comment in the other thread you started.

Beware of RT. He has more potential to damage your career than the texan.

dsjoshua
30th May 2008, 11:59
im not sure who rod tyson is but i think hes to do with the brissy side of things. never heard of him:confused:. my instructor is pretty cool but ill keep that in mind
thanks for the feedback :)

Bendo
30th May 2008, 13:33
Sonny,

Head down, bum up, keep studying. Work hard and learn your craft.

Who you train with (or what you fly) has far less impact on your career over time than the pilot YOU become through YOUR self-discipline.

Keep the faith

.... and use the force, Luke. :ok:

Peter Fanelli
30th May 2008, 15:55
Actually the PC-9 derived T-6 is the Texan II

A Texan is the AT-6/SNJ depending on whether you're an Air Force or Navy man.

Much different beast.

MakeItHappenCaptain
30th May 2008, 22:07
All aircraft fly the same way, eg, push forward and houses get bigger, pull back and houses get smaller, keep pulling back and houses get bigger again.

Seriously there are some minor differences between types, eg cessnas tend to come out of a stall if you yell "STOP IT", whereas a tomahawk will almost always want to drop a wing (much better for developing recovery technique in my view), but the school teaching is of more consequence than the aircraft being used.

Cheers:ok:

VH-FTS
30th May 2008, 22:57
im not sure who rod tyson is but i think hes to do with the brissy side of things. never heard of him:confused:. my instructor is pretty cool but ill keep that in mind
thanks for the feedback :)

Good to hear.

So there is no confusion, this is the Texan being discussed:

http://www.freeflying.com.au/images/stu12.jpg

It's the FlySynthesis Texan, not the Texan II.

My only concern is whether logging RA hours will affect things we you go for a CASA CPL. I don't know the answer to this, maybe someone else does.

Bendo
31st May 2008, 02:05
RAAus hours can count towards the 200-hour syllabus, but not towards the 150-hour syllabus.

The requirement for the 150 hour syllabus is that ALL the 150 training hours must be done as a part of the course - I suppose that someone might get an RAAus component approved as part of a 150-hour syllabus, but I would be surprised.

dsjoshua
31st May 2008, 02:28
yeah thats the texan however im still a little confused wether it is a disadvantage to learn in a texan if i want to get my cpl it being a recreational aircraft. it seems that it doesnt really matter as long as i work hard to be a good pilot. is this true. im very committed to this and am willing to spend as much time as i need to to acheive my goal of cpl and beyond. wether it be 200 or 500 hrs. thanks everyone for givin me some heads up and advice :ok:

bushy
31st May 2008, 02:37
The secret of sucess is
Early to bed
Early to rise
Work like hell
And advertise.

VH-FTS
31st May 2008, 06:44
yeah thats the texan however im still a little confused wether it is a disadvantage to learn in a texan if i want to get my cpl it being a recreational aircraft. it seems that it doesnt really matter as long as i work hard to be a good pilot. is this true. im very committed to this and am willing to spend as much time as i need to to acheive my goal of cpl and beyond. wether it be 200 or 500 hrs. thanks everyone for givin me some heads up and advice

It shouldn't take you that long to get your CPL. Given RA hours only count towards the 200 hour course, you may be better off (less expensive) completing the 150 hour course at a GA flying school.

sprocket check
1st Jun 2008, 15:08
The Texan TC is a great aircraft to fly and learn on. It has wings, tail and a rudder and a fan in the front. It does good speed and is certainly more fun to fly than a Jab. RAA is only a questionable affair if your instructor/school/aircraft is sub-standard. Use it for the cheap flying, hour building, etc, then do a quick conversion to PPL/CPL plus a few endorsements. Cheapest way to learn to fly, as well as great fun. As others have said, study hard and make sure you get the basics down pat, it'll serve you well in the long run. There is no difference in the basic physics between a Texan TC and an airliner.

sc