PDA

View Full Version : Pprune login

Brakes on
29th May 2008, 16:01
A few days ago I started to have a login problem.
At the start of a 'session' I log in, everything proceeds normally, I can access threads etc.
Then, when I want to go to say page xx in an xxx page thread I get a message "Sorry, you have to log in...." I log in again, I get the 'you have successfully...' message and than this reverts to "Sorry..."
Backtabbing to the thread I can still see me as being logged in.
What's going on?

frostbite
29th May 2008, 16:43
Have you recently changed browser/told it not to accept cookies?

Brakes on
30th May 2008, 23:45
Frostbite,
Thanks for your reply.
No to both questions. Checked the cookie settings and they are set to accept.

PPRuNe Towers
31st May 2008, 06:44
Try a computer you don't normally use.

Try a browser you don't normally use.

Regards
Rob

capewrath
31st May 2008, 10:48
Had that problem too a few weeks ago.

Nothing I tried made any difference to the problem.

It eventually resolved itself.

BTW - I have cookies completely blocked and still login OK.

Cheers

Brakes on
2nd Jun 2008, 17:48
Thanks for your inputs guys.
Tried everything suggested and some more and it seem that AOL is the culprit. If I log on through Firefox, everything is ok, if I go through AOL, the problem appears. Will try to find out what's wrong.
Thanks again.

Newforest2
2nd Jun 2008, 20:23
The programs of banks, stock markets and Pprune don't particularly like the programs of AOL and occasionally have a dust up, using IE or maybe Firefox in your case, usually circumvents the problem.

Wader2
4th Jun 2008, 11:58
The answer may lie in the blurb on the page when you log in. A precis is below:

<<This is a special announcement from PPRuNe Forums Admin. . . . repeated hack attempts . . . (HackBot) . . . malicious and nuisance

. . . the HackBot is intended as a Denial of Service (DoS) attack.

As the computer running the HackBot is using an AOL IP address, after it has randomly tried to access an account, the account is locked out and the IP address blocked for 15 minutes. If another AOL user with the same IP address tries to log-in within the 15 minutes of lock-out, they will get the locked out message too.

In order to stifle the HackBot, we have had to block the IP address being used which has caused more inconvenience to some AOL users. For this we apologise but it is the only way we can prevent the HackBot from running. We have also introduced a 'Captcha' image code section to the log-in which is designed to make sure that it is a human rather than a Bot trying to access PPRuNe. The Captcha image code is turned on and off randomly and you may or may not encounter it.

NRU74
4th Jun 2008, 14:11
I can access Pprune from work OK logging in automatically, ditto from home on the laptop connected wirelessly but not from home on my PC.Obviously both laptop and home PC use the same router and both use Firefox . I'm not an AOL user either.
Worse - sometimes on the PC not only do I have to Log in to get on the site I sometimes have to re-log in to get on, say, this particular Thread.
Anyone any ideas ?

Saab Dastard
4th Jun 2008, 14:28
It's almost always cookies and cached files.

SD