PDA

View Full Version : Buying Microsodt Word

Hansard
29th May 2008, 10:51
Cheapest seems to be £79.99 for the basic "home and student" Microsoft Word package, bought online. Anyone know of a better deal?

I've tried the OpenOffice substitute but my computer didn't like it at all.

Background Noise
29th May 2008, 11:19
If you work for a large company who is itself a licensed user you may be able to buy it for home use very cheaply through the MS Home Use program. Who do work for?

BOAC
29th May 2008, 11:24
ebuyer and amazon a quid or so cheaper. Did you miss the 'i' between the 'd' and the 't'.................:)

Octane
29th May 2008, 11:36
What was your problem with OpenOffice? I use it on a WindowsXP PC, WindowsXP laptop and a Linux laptop and never had an issue....

Lancelot37
29th May 2008, 12:21
Don't Tesco do a programme for £20. It gets good reports.

Eagle402
29th May 2008, 12:25
As a slight thread drift anybody running Mac's may be interested to have a peek at :

www.neooffice.org

Free download of a fully legal version of Excel/Word etc etc.

I actually prefer it to the MS versions as was written for Mac's.

Best wishes,

Eagle402

Hansard
29th May 2008, 12:46
Thanks everyone!

BackgroundNoise - Not available from my employer I'm afraid.

BOAC - didn't notice my freudian slip!!

Octane - I use Windows 2000. OpenOffice produced decent documents but they refused to print properly or to open at all as e-mail attachments in Outlook. I should add that I only know the basics about computers.

Lancelot37 - I looked at the Tesco one but after my experiences with OpenOffice, I decided to go for the real thing. It's my CV I'm e-mailing and I want to guarantee that recipients won't be irritated.

Llademos
29th May 2008, 15:12
Hansard,

I got mine through ebay, for under £50, brand new.

Tried OpenOffice, it's 95% OK but the 5% is what I missed (I do a lot of Excel stuff)

Ll

TopBunk
29th May 2008, 15:30
Bought a legit Office 2007 copy in Hong Kong (yes, I know), but really, for about £100 4 months ago, containing Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Publisher and Access. Base language was Chinese, but can install in English as well.

Have used 'suspect' copies in the past costing just a few quid, but went legit. At that price, I think most people would. I think Micro$ofts pricing policy works against them at times (unless they actually want to solely get market penetration and are prepared to accept high levels of counterfeit software to achieve that goal).

Product is registered, updates and no worries - cam ein the original MS packaging etc etc with all the holograms etc - and even better value than Student/Teacher packages.

[rant]Why can M$ not distinguish between Corporate and low intensity home users in their pricing policy.[/rantoff]

banana9999
29th May 2008, 15:31
Thanks everyone!

BackgroundNoise - Not available from my employer I'm afraid.

BOAC - didn't notice my freudian slip!!

Octane - I use Windows 2000. OpenOffice produced decent documents but they refused to print properly or to open at all as e-mail attachments in Outlook. I should add that I only know the basics about computers.

Lancelot37 - I looked at the Tesco one but after my experiences with OpenOffice, I decided to go for the real thing. It's my CV I'm e-mailing and I want to guarantee that recipients won't be irritated.

What makes you think that Word is the "real thing"?

OpenOffice documents does not have any problems attaching to emails. You should save them as Word format so those unenlightened souls without OpenOffice can open the document.

If you are having problems with OpenOffice and email, you are likely to have the same problem with Word.

Mac the Knife
29th May 2008, 18:00
"I've tried the OpenOffice substitute but my computer didn't like it at all."

What was the problem? I've got OO running on a whole variety of Windows, BSD, Mac and Linux computers without any hassle.

OO Calc (Excel equivalent) works fine but, as Llademos notes, it may have problems with complex Excel macros.

Abiword - http://www.abisource.com/ -is an excellent free alternative to MS Word or OO Writer - all the features and much faster - it can also save in .doc format for the MS serfs....

:ok:

cats_five
29th May 2008, 18:05
If you really want to be sure your CV will be OK, use Wordpad and save as an RTF.

Saab Dastard
29th May 2008, 22:07
I was going to suggest creating a pdf for CVs, but then Adobe Acrobat ain't cheap! Then I recalled that there are free PDF creators, so I will suggest it!

SD

banana9999
30th May 2008, 05:58
I was going to suggest creating a pdf for CVs, but then Adobe Acrobat ain't cheap! Then I recalled that there are free PDF creators, so I will suggest it!

SD
With OpenOffice one can export your document as a PDF :D

planecrazy.eu
30th May 2008, 08:01
If you know/have or can find a Uni Student, then...

Office 2007 ultimate, £35...

From M$ direct on there Academic section...