PDA

View Full Version : Danger Areas Around Mine Sites

Islander Jock
29th May 2008, 10:26
Just wondering if all mine sites where blasing occurs are published as Danger Areas? I know some Danger Areas are depicted on the charts but I can't see many mine sites that are shownparticularly in the NW . Are they listed in ERSA with the the lat / long and type of activity?
More importantly - where does the ultimate responsibility lie. Can an aircraft legally fly over a mine site making it the blast control staff responsiblity that surrounding airspace is clear before letting rip with a few tonnes of anfo or are pilots required to remain clear regardless?
It would appear that some mine sites think they own the airspace and therefore no aircraft should be flying within a specified range or altitude.

Bendo
29th May 2008, 12:18
G'day IJ

Currently earning a crust flying over coal mines

There is no mine that I know of in Aust that has its own D or R airspace.

I only know of one mine that NOTAMs its blasting, just north of Oakey. For the rest of 'em... keep clear!

We have to call Dispatch before each flight, and wait for the "all clear" once the Open Cut Examiner has verified there are no mis-fires. In 10 years of operating in the Hunter Valley I have only ever seen a couple of blasts from the air and certainly never been close enough to feel a pressure wave or get hit by flyrock.

They are usually very well controlled by professional licenced shot firers but once that handle is turned there is no way to turn it off.

My advice would be that below 4,500' you should always go around the perimiter of the pit.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
29th May 2008, 12:31
I'll ask a mine exec friend and get back to you.

CaptainMidnight
29th May 2008, 22:39
There are many danger areas around mine sites where blasting takes place. Have a look at the danger area list in ERSA PRD. As to where they are, the Designated Airspace Handbook gives the names, lat/longs and vertical limits etc.

http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/aip.asp

If the danger area falls within the coverage of a chart (VTC/VNC/ERCL/TAC) or a DAP plate, it is published on the relevant ones.

Bendo
29th May 2008, 22:58
...OK Capt Midnight :ok:

There are no COAL mines that I know of with an associated PRD airspace.

Had a look at the link you posted and all those pits with D areas are hard rock mines - I suppose larger charges and larger lumps are involved? :ouch:

Stationair8
30th May 2008, 03:01
It was raised at RAPAC a few years ago, and the mining industry were concerned with liability issues and OH&S issues.

A number of cases with aircraft flying through designated danger areas when blasting was taking place or approved blasting times.

Plenty of places in Australia such as Jabiru in the NT that have danger area located next to the aerodrome or in the circuit area.

Islander Jock
30th May 2008, 03:48
From what I can find, the ERSA only lists the Danger areas that are also shown on the charts(25 in total including Defence ranges). There are no Lat / Long details in there without going to the DAH but I suspect that the DAH would only amplify those Danger areas already shown in ERSA.

It appears that blasting is only shown on the FAC section of ERSA where it may impact on a specific aerodrome.

In light of the ever increase in mining activity maybe a time for CASA to maybe get the word out reminding pilots of the dangers. I'll also suggest that the mines refer their concerns to CASA.

There are many well established minesites throughout the Pilbara that have blasting operations but no associated Danger area details published.

Thanks for responses everyone.

CaptainMidnight
30th May 2008, 05:30
Yep, there are many sites where blasting occurs place and no danger area is in place. They tend to be established if the blasting takes place in the vicinity of an aerodrome, for obvious reasons and because they can be published on a DAP plate. Outside that, unless the debris will go to 500FT AGL or higher they tend not to have danger areas.

The problem with mining companies going to CASA wanting a danger area for all their mines is - how could the danger areas be published so pilots are aware of them?? VTC & VNC don't have national coverage, and airspace is not published on WAC charts. ERC Lows do cover the nation but cover a large area, but what use is a little red (sorry purple now) blob in the middle of nowhere?

Those who blast are obliged to conduct it in a safe manner and that includes taking measures to have visibility over the area, both for surface traffic (vehicles people etc.) as well as the airspace. Some aren't aware of their responsibilities re airspace, and that is what CASA has been obliged to point out to them occasionally.

Islander Jock
30th May 2008, 09:21
Thanks CaptainMidnight,
you confirmed my thoughts on the matter, especially your last paragraph.:ok:

Mr Bomb
30th May 2008, 09:31
Well we do plenty of "blasting" and we NOTAM each and every one. That is all that is required for us to do it. We work out a safety height based on what we are blowing and how much bang we are using. Then we round to the next nearest (highest) 500ft and add 1000ft to that and that is what we put in the NOTAM for Airservices to issue.

We also conduct a "Visual" clearance of the area before firing if we are using electrical methods of detonation, however if we are lighting a fuse (which may be many minutes long) and an aircraft comes bumbling through there ain't much we can do. I for sure aren't going to run out and pull out detonators froma bunch of charges or cut the fuse just coz joe lighty didn't read the NOTAMS or was too lazy to plot it (and I am not allowed to anyway). In this case it is a case of too bad for the pilot if anything happens.

I have an interesting story for over a beer about one such incident that could have resulted in a whole world of hurt for those involved. Alas through the grace of god, all was well...

Cheers
Mr B

aileron_69
31st May 2008, 04:22
Ive found some mine sites can be particularly hard to get hold of in regards to when blasts are occurring. Quite a few dont get round to doing Notams so when im operating down low close in to the pits it can be slightly unnerving. Koolan Island are pretty good, they broadcast warnings on the local frequency to warn any strays in the area and they fax blast notices to all the local operators. Havent come across too many danger areas around mines on the charts, in fact i know of at least 5 mines off the top of my head that ive stumbled across that arent even on the WAC!!