PDA

View Full Version : Psion vs Palmpilot

eeper
12th Sep 2000, 03:47
I'm currently looking for a PDA to replace my filofax and also to allow me to send EMails when abroad on nightstops. Looking around it seems to me to come down to a choice between one of the Palmpilots or a Psion Revo.

Does anyone have any info on which is better/easier to use?

Specaircrew
12th Sep 2000, 17:07
I use a Psion 5MX and a Motorola Timeport for emails etc when down route, I think having a keyboard is a big advantage. The Psion is pretty straightforward to setup and you can use a portable 56k modem with it as well.

JamesG
13th Sep 2000, 21:03
I use a Palm IIIx. If the emails are short, then the Graffiti pen input is okay - otherwise a folding keyboard would make sense.

Palms synchronise beautifully with pc's.

The battery life is also pretty good - I get about 2-3 weeks from 2 x AAA.

I should certainly visit a computer where you can try both to see which you prefer - i.e. screen and input devices.

The Psion is also a fine PDA and would be my personal preference if I was going to be using it heavily.

Feline
15th Sep 2000, 01:11
eeper (Does that mean you were a Beeper but lost your B? ;)

I've progressed from the original Pilot 1000, to the Palm IIIx and am now (just) onto the the Palm IIIc. I find that it does what I want, there is a continuing roll-out of neat software (I have just installed AvantGo which downloads the latest editions of my favourite web news sites every time I hotsync the Palm). I particular like the brightness of the colour screen of the IIIc - LCD screens can be very difficult to read in bright ambient light conditions - with the IIIc you just hold the power button down for about three seconds, and a pop-up screen with a slider appears. Just draw the slider to the right with the stylus and you can read it even in the brightest ambient light (and believe me, it does get bright around here). Another benefit of the IIIc is that it uses rechargeable batteries (Lithium Ion) which are topped up every time you drop it on the cradle. Palm claim that the battery will last about 21 days away from the cradle (but I haven't tried that out yet!)

I have owned a variety of PDA's (Sharp 3000, HP100, HP200, HP700 and a Psion 3). A major challenge (problem) with all of them (except the Palm) has been synchronising and/or backing them up with one's desktop machine. The Psion in particular was a real dog when it came to communicating with any other device (which was why I sold it at the first possible opportunity). However, later versions of the Psion could well be better (I hope so!) and it certainly had a nice keyboard. I wrote some pretty neat DOS batch files to achieve synchronisation (sort of), and also the older versions of LapLink had a scripting language, but none of them come anywhere near the ease of hotsync'ing with the Palm.

One does get used to Graffiti, when you're away from your desktop, but the bulk of my input takes place on my desktop. I now rarely take my laptop with me to meetings - if I need to do any text entry while I'm out of the office, I just drop the Palm onto a keyboard (better keyboard than my Libretto), and away I go. I got the keyboard from Landware (it doesn't fold up but it doesn't take up much space in a briefcase) but there is now a foldout keyboard from Palm themselves which takes up very little space and weighs about 4 ounces.

One thing I haven't yet implemented on the Palm is e-mail, but that's more because of laziness than anything else. The latest (desktop) version of Eudora supports sync'ing to the Palm, and there is a corresponding version of Eudora that runs on the Palm (which will run stand alone quite happily). Together they amount to about 7+Mb of code, and I'm just trying to find the time to download them over a relatively slow dial-up connection. Keeping track of e-mails that you have sent and received may or may not be that important to you - it is important to me, and my desktop is the place where that happens, so I need good synchronisation between the two.

My plan is to use the Palm when away from base to answer and compose e-mails, and then send them when back at my desk. When on longer trips, I plan to use the IR port on the Palm to communicate with my cell phone and send (and receive) my mail on the run. Saves me fighting with recalitrant hotel switchboards.

I quite like the Psion, it has a really good keyboard and seems to have some quite nice software, but for me the Palm wins hands down because of the ease and cast iron reliability of the synchronisation. With something like a PDA, it hurts if you lose it, but it's a life stopper if you lose the data you have on it. And I think that the Palm is light-years ahead in that respect. Also, the Palm is far more pocketable than the Psion - just slips into an inside jacket pocket, so you'll have it with you when you need it far more often than you will the Psion (which will tend to get carried in a flight case).

It's your call - depends rather on what's important to you. I'd be interested to hear what you finally decide on.

By the way, Ericsson offer a badged version of the Psion. Probably not all that cheap, but guaranteed to work with one of their IR-enabled cell phones.
By the way #2 - for those of you that do own a Palm, there's a Real Neat occasional e-mail service with Tips and New Software. You can subscribe to called InSync (about two one page e-mails a week with some really useful stuff): InSync Subscription (http://www.insync-palm.com)

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

[This message has been edited by Feline (edited 14 September 2000).]

Mzee
15th Sep 2000, 18:10
I use a Psion 5mx with a Nokia 7110, dead easy - no external modem (built-in), no ext wires (IR) and easy to backup on the PC. You can use it for Emails, Faxes, SMS and even surf but only a few sites so far. I can send Flight Plans and gather met from wherever I am, usefull in Russia.

Feline
19th Sep 2000, 01:38
Just to add to my previous post above: Finally did the download thing from Eudora, and successfully used Palm III + IR equipped Ericsson GSM cell phone to send and receive e-mail (also has a web browser but as Mzee has observed above, not too many web sites optimised for small screens - yet!). Setup was Real Easy - and it worked first time!

May not sound like a big deal - but it sure is liberating to be able to walk around with my complete office in my pockets (on the Internet, no-one knows you're a dog, and no-one need know where you are!)

------------------
Feline

Pete O'heat
29th Sep 2000, 19:43
You're probaly getting the message now, that both are excellent devices. It all comes down to what you want to use it for. As a personal organiser with diary, Email e.t.c the palm may be the better choice.

As a serious alternative to a laptop running windoze, the Psion has my vote.

I use a Series 5, and a Nokia 8210 ( with IR Modem built-in) I use it for remote support of 500 Unix servers 24x7. I use telnet, ftp, Email, Web. When I'm on-site, I can even plug it into the back of a Sun Server and use it as the System console. Cytrix Winframe client is available for it, so I can run a windoze desktop if needed.

Tallbloke
29th Sep 2000, 23:21
For what it is worth, I have a palm V at the moment but I am looking for a secondhand psion, cos I don't get on with the pilot. Graffiti is not the problem, the pilot just does not "do" it for me.

The Unteleported Man
8th Oct 2000, 14:36
Has anyone tried to PPRuNe on the Palm? Feedback?

Feline
9th Oct 2000, 00:03
TUM - Well, yes, sort of!

My main requirement with my Palm is to be able to pick up my e-mail when in the middle of nowhere. (And there's a lot of that where I go). Web browsing isn't high on my wish list. But your posting got me to give it a try, using Eudora EIS version 1.1 for the Palm (on Palm IIIc + Ericsson A1018s + DI27 IR modem)

1) Yes it works

2) It's quite legible and readable, but the formatting isn't quite what you would expect if you're used to a full size screen (the headings are there, but they're stacked and run over two lines owing to screen width)

3) No images

4) Surprisingly quick - base speed over a GSM phone is only 9600bps, but compression gets that up to an effective 38000bps.

5) However, looks like I will have to RTFM - seems to be running into a cache size limitation, which means that it doesn't download the entire list of forums (gets down to Europe, but doesn't get as far as Computers + Internet Issues). This may also get sorted with the new release of Eudora EIS (Ver 2) which will be out Real Soon).

6) Did manage to post successfully from the Palm (but in Africa Forum because I couldn't get as far down as this forum)

Think I agree with Pete O'heat - depends what your primary use is. If web browsing in the middle of nowhere (or down route) was of primary importance, then I'd probably go the Psion (or one of the Win CE PDA's). But my main criteria are portability, battery life, contact details, Calender, PIM, e-mail, and connectivity with my cell phone, so the Palm works for me. And e-mail over the Palm is working a charm.

------------------
Feline

Feline
9th Oct 2000, 00:37
Little bit of a fiddle - but this post is directly from the Palm, via GSM phone!

------------------
Feline

Tom the Tenor
9th Oct 2000, 01:20
Gosh, Feline, that is really great that you can post to Pprune without too much bother from the Palm. Great! Thank, TTT

------------------
What we want is a bit of Pop Music, none of this Beethoven!!

The Unteleported Man
9th Oct 2000, 13:42
Looks pretty good from here! Thanks Feline.

Tom the Tenor
10th Oct 2000, 23:37
Apologies in advance if this has all ready been discussed but does anyone have experience of using the latest verson of the Nokia 9110i Communicator on line and what is it like for e-mail and web browsing, especially what is it like for Pprune browsing and posting. Thank you, TTT.

------------------
What we want is a bit of Pop Music, none of this Beethoven!!

eeper
5th Dec 2000, 18:58
An ancient post this one, but I thought that those who had read or contributed might like to know that I eventually plumped for a Psion Revo.

I've had no problems so far, EMail works like a dream and the agenda is very clear and easy to use. I think what swung it for me in the end was the keyboard. Although the Series 5mx has a much nicer laptop-esque keyboard, the Revo's keyboard is more than sufficient and because I do type a lot of EMails the Palm was really not an option.

My one criticism, so far, is that there is no month or year planner - the best that the Agenda can do is a week view or a 2 week "busy" view. Maybe these can be downloaded?

Anyway, thanks for your tips and advice, especially the lengthy tomes from Feline! :)

Feline
6th Dec 2000, 00:22
You are very welcome eeper - and as they say in the classics: Go forth and Enjoy! Your query just happened to hit the board when I was thrilled with a new toy - and this was a good platform to share that joy! Am on some full time education this week, and quietly downloading my e-mail in class, unbeknownst to anyone there .... Heh heh!

------------------
Feline

skua
7th Dec 2000, 14:58
Slight change of direction here:

I have just bought a Jornada, mainly because it has more memory than a Psion or Palm. But a slight problem - does anyone know of any decent aviation software for it (i.e. running on Windows CE)?

I am amazed that there is so much for the Palm, given that databases must be constrained by the small amount of memory on the hardware.

fobotcso
7th Dec 2000, 18:59
Feline, I have a Handspring (similar to a Palm). Want to use the PDA to send e-mails through my mobile (Ericsson or Nokia look-alike with built-in Modem). What software do I need in my PDA and where do I get it please? You seem to have succeeded!

Feline
7th Dec 2000, 22:46
fobotcso: I'm using Eudora EIS Version 2.0 which you can download from <A HREF="http://www.eudora.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.eudora.com</A> . If you are using a registered version of Eudora ver 5, then the EIS software is free, otherwise you will need to register it after the free (30 day?) trial period. EIS can also be used with other e-mail clients (MS Outlook for example) but then you need to purchase a special software conduit if you want it to synchronise with your PC e-mail software.
In practise, I don't bother with the synchronisation. I just tell EIS to leave all my e-mail on the server, and pick them up (and file 'em) there. And I have set up outgoing messages to .bcc to myself, so they also get read into my desktop PC.
I mainly use the Palm/cell phone combination to check for any urgent e-mail when I can't otherwise get to my PC (for example, I have just spent two days in a classroom, and no-one there even realised I was doing my e-mail during class!)
I notice you say that your cell phone has an internal modem - I hope that means it has an IR port - otherwise you may need a cable from your phone to your visor - not very elegant.
If you need any other help or advise you can e-mail me direct (see my profile).
BTW - I see you will soon be able to get a module (the Visorphone by Handspring at $299) that makes your Visor into a cell phone - that sounds Real Neat!
Have Fun! Let us all know how you get on!

------------------
Feline

fobotcso
7th Dec 2000, 23:36
Feline, thanks for prompt reply stuffed with good info. Yes, there is an IR link which is neater than wires. It'll take a while for me to digest and try all that out but I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers, Mr F.

static
9th Dec 2000, 19:35
Feline, glad to see there`s another palm-fan out there! I`ve tried the winCE things, but didn`t like it much; sold it again. Too big, needed too much batteries and not much software available.
I now have a Palm Vx. I use it for e-mail when I`m abroad (multimail pro). I have my logbook in there (palmlog from nomadtech). I have my manuals in there (documentsToGo).
The advantage over psion is that it`s smaller and lighter. When I need a keyboard I get my GoType out of the flightbag and put the palm in. I get a full size keyboard, but I don`t have to carry it around all the time.

I`m thinking of the Handspring Prism now, also because of the expansion-slot for gps and camera. Any reviews available?

Canuck_AV8R
11th Dec 2000, 20:40
Hi Folks:

I recently treated myself to a Visor Prism. One of those wonderful things you can do with a good profit-sharing cheque.

I have been using it for about a month now and I LOVE it. The colour screen is bright and clear. It is fast (33Mhz processor). The native apps like Date Book + is a great scheduling tool. I use mine for all the usual organizing stuff plus I have my logbook on it (Captain's Keeper, pricey but very versatile) I also run a program called FlybyE6B which is a quite good flight computer app.

The only concern I have is with battery life the rechargables say they have a 6-8 hour life but with heavy use and the screen set to full brightness (needed in bright sunlight) I find battery consumption quite high and until Handspring makes a travel adapter available for the Visor I have to lug around the Hotsync cradle to recharge the batteries on the road.

Anyone have any recomendations for good aviation related software for the Palm/Handspring PDAs. Mine are mentioned above.

Cheers

Canuck

Feline
13th Dec 2000, 01:20
Static: Yeah! I guess there are a few of us out there! Haven't seen any detailed reviews on the camera or GPS plug ins for the Prism - but there might be something on ZDNet somewhere ( <A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com" TARGET="_blank">www.zdnet.com</A> ?) A couple of warnings about plug-in cameras: firstly, they're all pretty rudimentary (fixed focus, fixed focal length, only work on nice sunlit scenes), they invariably have no flash (major limitation), and they tend to be heavy on batteries. Also, I'm always a bit leary about gadgets with lots of plug in accessories - you always seem to get into a situation where you need to plug more than one into the same socket at the same time.

Canuck: 6-8 hours does kind of put the Prism in the same league as all the WinCE Pocket PC's - I suspect that what you gain in speed gets traded off for shorter battery life. I'm also in somewhat of a similar dilemna - moving to the Palm IIIc meant that I also moved to rechargeable batteries. And I do wonder just how long they will last on a long trip.
There is a possible solution from Landware <A HREF="http://www.landware.com/catalog/palmos/index" TARGET="_blank">www.landware.com/catalog/palmos/index</A> who offer a battery pack for the Palm V - don't know whether that will work with the Visor of the Palm IIIc - might be worth checking out.

Useful piece of software (also available from Landware) is TakeNote! which is a useful editor that gets around the problem that the Palm can usually only handle documents that are 4Kb in length (longer documents are handled as serial chunks of text). Came free with my GoType! keyboard.

Two other useful sites are <A HREF="http://www.AvantGo.com" TARGET="_blank">www.AvantGo.com</A> which gives you news feeds from various sites every time you hot sync when you're logged on (I think there are some aviation sites there but I haven't tried 'em - PPRune sure isn't there - hint hint Danny?) and <A HREF="http://www.peanutpress.com" TARGET="_blank">www.peanutpress.com</A> from which you can download books - useful for long trips in cattle class. Incidentally, both these sites (and Landware) cater for both Palm and Pocket PC, but not, I think, for Psion.

Enjoy!

------------------
Feline

Feline
13th Dec 2000, 01:33
Canuck: Yeah, well, scratch the idea of the battery pack - just checked on the full spec on the Landware site and it unequivocally states that it is not compatible with the Palm III, so I presume it's not compatible with the Prism either. Might be worth watching the Landware site for when they come up with a GoType! keyboard for the Prism - that could very well come with a power adapter port on it.

I find the Landware GoType! keyboard a very useful accessory for my IIIc (it's one piece and feels more sturdy than the folding version from Palm themselves).

Cheers,

------------------
Feline

skua
13th Dec 2000, 18:41
With AvantGo you can get it to download any site, if you work at it - even PPrune, but you don't get to the stories behind the front page.