PDA

View Full Version : Checked in baggage charge

89 steps to heaven
29th May 2008, 07:56
Tiger have announced that they will add an additional charge for all checked in baggage. Starts at $5 for a 15kg bag per sector and goes up from there.

Budget ticket price could get real expensive really quickly.

Poor form Tiger :=

Wod
29th May 2008, 08:05
Not poor form - just LCC.

Check out Asia X ex OOL to KUL. Pay up front when making web booking for a discount on the bag weight charge.

We've been sheltered a bit up to now, but it's all logical. You pay for what you want.

Travel - Pay a fare.
Hold baggage - pay a fee per bag and a surcharge for extra weight.
Food - pay for it.
Entertainment pay for it.

So if you're visiting relos, and are not diabetic, you may only need the fare.

Heading off on a round the world business trip with samples and a healthy appetite - pay more.

Oh, and check the seat pitch. You get what you pay for.

Metro man
29th May 2008, 08:39
Fly full service and enjoy ticket flexibility, drinks, food, in flight entertainment, 20kgs baggage allowance, frequent flyer programs and superior service. Be prepared to pay for it all, used or not in a high ticket price.

Fly low cost if you would rather save the money and are willing to comply with the restrictive conditions.

Take your pick, if low cost doesn't suit don't fly on them and don't complain, they are only a travel option which you don't have to use if you don't want to.

peuce
29th May 2008, 08:52
Well, me, the missus and the kids are off to KL with Air Asia X ...

XL Class (Star Class, without the service). Even with the baggage and meal costs, it well and truly beats Jetstar's best Star Class price ... just gotta hope that the aircraft turns up, starts up and gets us there safely ...:E

ozangel
29th May 2008, 09:03
peuce,

flew XL class ool-kul-ool in january. Got it on special, for about $360 each way. Of course, with taxes, luggage, and meals, it went up to about $600.

That said, still feel somewhat guilty - feel like I have robbed them.

The seats (for the time being - on the leased 330 they have) are HUGE, the inflight meals lack trays and pomp, but are very very tasty and filling, and the crew seem to be switched on (pretty and pleasant, but assertive and firm - something other carriers of the region lack).

My only advice - the beer they serve is dishwater - take your asic, buy a $5 bottle of spirits at duty free minus your discount, and pour your own 'stiff' drink when they're not looking.

By comparison, Gulf Air and BA were where circus performers go when they retire - beer was equally bad, couldn't mix a drink to save themselves, meals tasted like the crap I had to serve at Qantas (cardboard or cat), and seats smaller, prices much much higher.

Would certianly book em again over staff travel! Standby my a*se.

As for tiger (back OT), well, as long as their fares are $5.01c cheaper than an alternative, im sure all will be fine and theyll continue to do o'k. (Looking forward to the media bloodbath in the meantime :}).

Plazbot
29th May 2008, 09:41
Every single time these threads come up I shake my head. A plane is just a big tube full of seats to get you to where you are going. It is not the 1950s and all the mystique has gone. Take me there cheap so I can spend my dollars on the reason for going. I argue that if you cannot organise yourself enough to have a book or a gameboy and a packet of pringles, you should not be flying in the first place. All this horseshart about which meal is better and frequent flyer programs is for the tossers.

Love Plazbot.

flyer_18-737
29th May 2008, 10:21
Well I guess they had to introduce something sooner or later:{, $5 isn't that bad, and if you have no bags, well then it works out fine for you.

I love it though, cause now people might not take as much, so less work for moi!

FlexibleResponse
29th May 2008, 12:28
$5 seems reasonable for 15kg of baggage.

I got charged $7.60 for 2 small bottles of water from a store in the Perth domestic terminal last week. Now that is criminal.

Islander Jock
30th May 2008, 03:33
Lets break this down,
Check the bag into the system,
Tag it,
Load it onto conveyor
Pass bag through screening
Handler to put it onto trolly or container in makeup area
Load it onto aircraft,
Added figures for load controller,
Load adjustment by crew
Offload at destination

All for $5.00. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.