PDA

View Full Version : Furgo

elcap
29th May 2008, 06:08
Just looking for some update information about Fugro after scouring though some old posts:

- Furgro's a good survey operator in Oz in regards to turbine survey aircraft?
- International postings are possible through Fugro? How common are they? Do you get to choose or are you told?
- Appoximatly 6 weeks on and 3 weeks off still?
- Min requriements for employment straight onto a single/twin turbine? Or do you have to start somewhere and move up behind everyone else?
- Twin turbine single pilot or multi pilot?
- Twin turbines consist of CASA 212 and...?
- Single turbines consist of Caravan and ...?
- Appoximate pay? Still daily rate? Still accom, flights to home city, food etc paid for?

Thanks to anyone who can answer some or even all of these questions.:D

Cheers El

Pinky the pilot
29th May 2008, 07:43
Phone them on (08)93224955 and find out!

startingout
29th May 2008, 08:08
http://www.casa.gov.au/casadata/regsearch/airsresults.asp?VHin=&framein=all&manuin=&modelin=&regholdin=&regopin=fugro&serialin=&num_results=10&Search=Search

have a look there

elcap
29th May 2008, 08:41
Thanks 'starting out', solves the questions on aircraft types.

Checkerboard
29th May 2008, 12:34
If you want a job there my advice would be to spell it correctly for a start. You have spelt it 3 different ways!:ugh:

It FUGRO!

elcap
29th May 2008, 23:37
Spelling corrected!:ok:

Lasiorhinus
30th May 2008, 06:37
Ya missed one:ok:

vortsa
30th May 2008, 06:42
lt Fugro ....... Shouldn't the correct spelling be ....."It's".....

ZEEBEE
30th May 2008, 14:10
OK, since no one else is answering and ElCap HAS corrected the spelling, here we go,

- Furgro's a good survey operator in Oz in regards to turbine survey aircraft?
Yep

- International postings are possible through Fugro? How common are they?
Do you get to choose or are you told?

Depends on how good you are, but generally, yes. It's generally arrived at by mutual agreement, but if they need you to go and you don't, then you will lose brownie points.

- Appoximatly 6 weeks on and 3 weeks off still?
Generally so, unless overseas and other considerations exist.

- Min requriements for employment straight onto a single/twin turbine? Or do you have to start somewhere and move up behind everyone else?
Depends on how good you are, but if you're light on experience, then expect to do a reasonable internship. Experience in low-level ops and precision flying is what you need. Ability to get on with other crew members is paramount along with the ability to think on your feet.

- Twin turbine single pilot or multi pilot?
Both. The CASA is multi-pilot, but the Skyvans are approved for and do often fly single pilot.
The Caravans are generally flown multi pilot due to the value of the equipment on board.

- Twin turbines consist of CASA 212 and...?
CASA212 and Shorts Skyvan with Dash-7 overseas.

- Appoximate pay? Still daily rate? Still accom, flights to home city, food etc paid for?
yes

aileron_69
31st May 2008, 04:14
They are the biggest, and were always regarded as one of the best, but I heard they've been a bit naughty lately....

ZEEBEE
1st Jun 2008, 01:24
They are the biggest, and were always regarded as one of the best, but I heard they've been a bit naughty lately....

No, not naughty, just a victim of the industry. statistics and Swiss cheese.

There is a very fine dividing line between a successful survey flight and a crash.
No one in the industry should EVER forget it.
Risk mitigation and care is the only way to keep the two apart.

aileron_69
1st Jun 2008, 02:22
Haha, this is true, I wasnt talking about any of the 3 crashes tho, more what transpired afterwards

ZEEBEE
1st Jun 2008, 05:09
Haha, this is true, I wasnt talking about any of the 3 crashes tho, more what transpired afterwards

You have my undivided attention, Aileron (and my PM address if you wish):ok:

aileron_69
1st Jun 2008, 13:17
Well what filtered down the pipeline to me was that there was somewhat of a breakdown in communication between Fugro and CASA with regards to reporting these accidents, which had quite a role to play in their being grounded for a time. I dont have all the details so I could be slightly off whack here but my source is pretty damn reliable and im pretty sure it didnt come from nowhere.
Anyway, this kinda off the topic of the thread here so i'll leave it at that. I still think they're a pretty good mob on the whole.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
1st Jun 2008, 13:28
Well what a load of bollocks.

I dont have all the details so I could be slightly off whack here but my source is pretty damn reliable and im pretty sure it didnt come from nowhere.

Fugro were not grounded by CASA.

So Mr Aileron_69, your friend does not know sh1t from clay.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
1st Jun 2008, 13:37
Just a quick support to LHRT, I had a VERY senior pilot over a while back and nothing of the sort happened. He is a fellow of integrity and an all round nice bloke. They seem to have solved any issues that arose from what others speak.

All in all not a bad mob to work for, interested to see how long it would take a newbie to get into the CASA 212, more likely the 210 or the shrike. The Skyvan is a wonderful aircraft that takes a while to become fond of, but when you do you'll always smile fondly when remembering those sleek lines and super groundspeed.:8

the wizard of auz
1st Jun 2008, 14:11
The Skyvan is a wonderful aircraft that takes a while to become fond of, but when you do you'll always smile fondly when remembering those sleek lines and super groundspeed.

Bwaaahahaha......... you crack me up............ like a 210 spar attach point. :}
Oh, that was working rivets, not cracks. :ok::}
(yeah, yeah...... I know. was a different mob.....same work though)

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
2nd Jun 2008, 03:34
Geez Wiz, someone could give you a turd sandwich and you'd complain about the bread.

Say Hi to you Nanna for me, has her rash cleared up ?, if so get her to give me a call.

Stationair8
2nd Jun 2008, 04:08
Nothing wrong with the Irish Concorde.

elcap
2nd Jun 2008, 06:33
Cheers Z-B thanks for the response.

Final question: Would someone coming in with about 500hrs on the carvan more than likely go straight onto that aircraft? Or will it be back to 210??

aileron_69
2nd Jun 2008, 06:38
Oh come on Elcap, dont u like the 210? They're lots of fun, faster roll rate than a 'van, plus the wings are so much easier to take off:E

the wizard of auz
2nd Jun 2008, 11:52
Hey LHRT, Nan never forgave you for giving her that rash. I dunno if I mentioned that she suffered some serious burns around Xmas time.
They don't muck around at the crematorium.

ZEEBEE
2nd Jun 2008, 12:24
Final question: Would someone coming in with about 500hrs on the carvan more than likely go straight onto that aircraft? Or will it be back to 210??

Hours on the 'Van don't actually mean too much without the low level survey experience to back it up.

If you've done the work and you're good at it, then you could ostensibly find yourself in the second seat, but there are 210 and Shrike drivers waiting for a go, and they DO have the requisite exposure.

And Wiz, 210 wings are actually pretty strong.
If the attach points are cracked, then there's been some pretty nasty things done to the machine. The panels outboard of the flaps can be wasted, but only if consistent full aileron is applied in excess of VMA

But no survey aircraft exceed that do they?:uhoh:

aileron_69
2nd Jun 2008, 13:51
And Wiz, 210 wings are actually pretty strong

Thats what i'd always thought too. Ive heard many comments that the 210's Cantilever wing isnt as strong as the 206 with its struts, but the way I see it, how is a high cantilever wing any less strong than a low wing?? Its just glued on top rather than underneath.

the wizard of auz
3rd Jun 2008, 14:44
If you have ever seen a C210 wing attach point with working rivets and the pins worn and cracked, you will sit down and think seriously before flying one again. I have seen several in this state..... and although I still fly them on the odd occasion, I certainly have a new respect for how mortal I really am.
I also witnessed the repairing of a whole fleet of 210's from a survey company many moons ago, all with the same working rivet problem in the attach points. :eek: wings are pretty strong like you say, but they still have to stay attached to be effective. :ok:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
4th Jun 2008, 03:31
Wiz,

Yeh, I know, took my fish tank heater and went to visit her the night before, party time !!!!.

the wizard of auz
4th Jun 2008, 14:12
I wouldn't doubt that. I have heard thats about all you could manage in the way of a good time with a gal. :}