PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air orders Airbus jets worth $5 billion

.Aero
29th May 2008, 01:41
:} GF with deep pockets again?

Gulf Air orders Airbus jets worth $5 bln

12 hours ago
FRANKFURT (AFP) — Bahrain's Gulf Air has ordered 35 Airbus medium- and long-haul aircraft in a deal worth five billion dollars (3.2 billion euros), it was announced here Wednesday.
The order for 15 Airbus A320s and 20 Airbus A330s is worth "five billion dollars at catalogue prices," Airbus commercial director John Leahy said at the Berlin Air Show.
Leahy acknowledged that major contracts often included negotiated discounts and the final value of aerospace deals is often a closely guarded secret.
The outcome can vary widely depending on the economic situation, the number of aircraft sold and whether or not the client has bought planes from the same manufacturer in the past.
Wednesday's deal was signed by Gulf Air boss Bjoern Naef, a Swiss national, and Airbus head Thomas Enders, a German.
"The A320 will serve Gulf Air's regional destinations while the A330 will operate on the airline's European route and enhance its Far Eastern services," Naef said.
His company planned to focus on Middle Eastern service, Naef added, much as the airline Swiss has in Europe.
"There will be enough cake for everybody. Of course, there's competition but it's the same in Europe, for European airlines. We want to be a niche product," he said.
Gulf air traffic has grown by leaps and bounds and seen the emergence of several carriers that need to expand their fleets like Emirates in Dubai or its neighbour Qatar Airways, both of which are good Airbus clients.
The airlines have expanded rapidly as governments in the region work to diversify their economies from oil and gas into air transport and tourism.
Naef said it remained open whether Gulf Air would buy the future Airbus A350 jet now under development.
The company's order on Wednesday followed one in January for 16 Boeing 787 passenger jets worth around six billion dollars, along with an option for eight others.
The 787 and A350 are rivals designed to fly longer routes using less fuel.
Gulf Air plans to increase its fleet to 45 planes by 2013 from 25 at present.
The carrier became the sole property of Bahrain last May after Oman pulled out.
Former partners Abu Dhabi and Qatar withdrew from the airline's ownership in 2005 and 2002, respectively, to focus on their own carriers.

Panama Jack
29th May 2008, 04:37
Not sure that GF as an airline itself has deep pockets, but it seems like now that it is 100% owned by the Bahraini Government, like any parent, they want to ensure the best for their "baby."

sandyballs
29th May 2008, 07:20
Nice bit of commission for some :}

.Aero
29th May 2008, 09:45
Anyone know the details of expected delivery dates?

thegypsy
29th May 2008, 12:56
Where are they getting the money from?

Seems to me to be a case of trying to keep up with "the Sheiks" who have far deeper pockets than tiny Bahrain.

MMS
29th May 2008, 16:11
Well good for GF!

I hope they are able to come back into the game of the middle east's leading airlines, they have a great past, and i would like to see them with a future!

I am sure the GF flight crew are happy about this info, they seem to have been tired of flying corroded metal and waiting forever for a command!

40&80
29th May 2008, 16:30
I believe GF owed over a Billion dinars to is creditors in Hogans time...so a liquidation and a new start up is possibly an accountants way forward.
Is there any new start up presently starting or planned in Bahrain?

Che Guevara
29th May 2008, 19:54
Is there any new start up presently starting or planned in Bahrain?

No, unless you count Bahrain Air loco. (certainly no Air Arabia, nor will it ever be)

I believe GF owed over a Billion dinars to is creditors in Hogans time

Hogan sold off their assets to pay the creditors and show a profit in order to collect his bonus. Smoke and mirrors, his forte.

so a liquidation and a new start up is possibly an accountants way forward.

Don't think so.

So if BA had financial trouble again, would it make sense to re-name it Air Britain and start with a clean slate....?

Chao

skywaytoheaven
31st May 2008, 12:40
Any news on delivery dates? I heard A330 deliveries start at the beginning of 2010, A320s in 2011.

Che Guevara
31st May 2008, 17:26
All sorts of rumours on delivery dates etc., three to four aircraft a year being one of them...however with the present state of the industry in the US and Europe etc., I'm sure dates can be brought forward quite easily...time will tell.
One does wonder how long some of the present fleet will last though...

Chao

stefan1138
31st May 2008, 17:54
Wasn´t there the rumour that the ex SQ 340s will leave once their leases are up in 2009? What will replace them?

Sal-e
31st May 2008, 21:59
Apparently, A340-600s that were cancelled orders by others.

ironbutt57
1st Jun 2008, 04:53
returned or soon to be by QR

boiler
1st Jun 2008, 05:10
In regards to the QR ones, I think they said they were going to create a leasing company and the first airplanes they will put in it and lease out are the -600s.

Mow
1st Jun 2008, 10:08
-600's are waste of resources and fuel. If GF leases them, soon they will announce bankrupcy :}

Chuck Y
1st Jun 2008, 12:31
I don't think we have much choice at the moment to which a/c we get cos we need anything we can get hold of badly.

Che Guevara
1st Jun 2008, 21:54
I know the name is spelt Naef but it is pronounced Naff in Ze Englishe language and means 'lacking in taste or style'....and something else quite devious...look it up.

Oh, nearly forgot...Mow, you better get over to Lufthansa and Virgin and warn them about the -600's before it is too late for them ;) , eminent bankruptcy and all that...you are right though, they do apparently like fuel.

Chao

Albergineman
1st Jun 2008, 22:03
Hey Sandhound, I think you mean Andre Dose and not Bjorn Naf.

Bye!

:ok:

.Aero
2nd Jun 2008, 03:32
The last I heard of Andre Dose was that he was being tried under Swiss criminal court for homicide along with a few others. Does anyone know if a verdict was reached?

boiler
2nd Jun 2008, 06:58
Yes, not guilty. Happened about 2 weeks ago.

.Aero
3rd Jun 2008, 01:01
Cheers boilermaker :)

lepremier
3rd Jun 2008, 01:39
http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/search/Result.html?siteSect=882&ty=st&sid=9097806

Sultan85
3rd Jun 2008, 05:13
I hope we get the new birds ASAP,not funny any more:=!