PDA

View Full Version : Mil. instrument fit on a Triumph Spit

kevmusic
28th May 2008, 22:15
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230256551729&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Check out 'good points'. ;) :p

Say again s l o w l y
28th May 2008, 22:55
I could do with a Head Up Display on my spitty! Mind you, the hood could do with a bit of attention too.............

Honestly, why do people not use a spell checker before pressing the submit button when trying to sell something?

tinpis
28th May 2008, 23:44
I would buy that tomorra if it were darnunda :ok:
Great little buzz box but were determined to swap ends pretty quick on a wet road.

29th May 2008, 00:09
Triumph Spitfires - the memories - used to PDI them for a local Triumph dealer back in the 70's. underpowered, weird steering, bum too close to the hard top. The TR6? Superb: overpowered, beautiful straight 6 fuel injected (I think). TSR2 was better but I never PDI'd one.

Incidentally, if you ever see any Triumph model around these days, bend down and take a careful look at the number plate light housing. You will probably find a spare set of keys stached in there. Rusty now of course.

That's where the factory used to stick a spare set ,but not many dealers knew it. Spotted one recemtly on a forecourt in Shropshire - took great pleasure in pointing this out to owner.

Regards

John Hill
29th May 2008, 01:28
I had one of those. One evening getting home from the club I found the door would not open. The chassis had broken (rotted through on coral roads) and all the weight was on the not very strong body. A few weeks of work and it was like new again. A lot of them used to break just in front of the scuttle but this one broke just behind the drivers seat.

Blacksheep
29th May 2008, 08:27
The Triang Shitfire. An excellent example of why the British motor industry no longer exists. :hmm:

kevmusic
29th May 2008, 13:15
Ooooooh. An MG-owner, I presume? :yuk:

Effluent Man
29th May 2008, 15:02
Had a Spitfire,Sprite,(frog eye) Midget,MGB and TR4.The Spitfire was always considered effeminate,but was a nicer drive and very good on fuel.Also a more roomy cockpit and a snugger hood.The Midget was hopelessly undergeared but I cured this by fitting a differential from a Riley 1.5. Not sure why BMC didn't do this as standard it reduced the revs from a busy 4,000 at 60mph to 3,300 with a corresponding drop in fuel consumption.

I swapped two bottles of Scotch for the frog-eye which was abandoned in a shed

Blacksheep
29th May 2008, 20:01
Ooooooh. An MG-owner, I presume? The MGB. Another nail in the British motor industry's coffin lid. :rolleyes:

kevmusic
29th May 2008, 20:20
Blacksheep, if you want BMC failures from the 60s & 70s the list is long and does not begin with the oft-maligned Spitty. Try the Austin All-aggro, the 1100s, 1300s and land-crabs, Morris Marina...... I could go on. The Mk3 Spit is a lovely little motor. But then, I've got the Mk4 rear axle mod and overdrive, so it actually goes round corners - fast and economically! :ok:

Say again s l o w l y
29th May 2008, 20:33
I remember what my Spitty 1500 was like before it was ripped to bits. Shocking! The handling was horrifying. The lift off oversteer was terrifying and it wasn't exactly fast.

But it is oh so pretty! So a comprehensive series of improvements was started on.

Rear axle and suspension was ripped out and replaced. No it has GT6 Rotoflex rear suspension. The gearbox was replaced by one out of a Toyota Corolla Fastback and the engine tuned to within an inch of it's life. (In fact given that it blew up 3 times in it's intial state of tune maybe we pushed it a bit far!)

My most proud moment was blowing off a BMW M3 in a drag race at Le Mans one year. The driver of the BM wasn't best pleased at losing to a 20 year old hairdresser wagon (as he put it!)

G-CPTN
29th May 2008, 20:45
Apart from the susceptibility of the backbone chassis to tin-worm, the Spitfire (and the GT6) offered exceptional possibilities to the enthusiast IMO. Sure the original rear-suspension was inclined to tuck-under, but the basic engine-gearbox package was sound. Agreed that to some it was considered 'girly', but how many Spridgets do you see nowadays in comparison to Spitfires?
The MGB was a bit 'agricultural' (especially with the three-bearing crank) and the original MGC was ill-developed IMO - shame really. Of course new bodyshells are available for Bs (and Spridgets) from BMH:- http://www.bmh-ltd.com/bodyshells2.htm

ShyTorque
29th May 2008, 21:25
I had a 1970 Mk3, one of the last 1296s, engine tuned up till the exhaust manifold used to glow orange at night. It was quite a fast little car, much quicker than the Mk 4s. As already pointed out, the handling could be interesting but it made you corner properly (slow in, fast out), much like a motorbike should be driven.

Most unreliable car I ever owned but I loved it; had to sell it when I was posted abroad.

The car had four UJs on it, two on the propshaft and one on each driveshaft (its weakness, very poor design - two should be fitted to cancel out Hooke's Joint effect). In three years I changed them so many times I could replace one in 45 minutes, including stripping down and rebuilding the rear suspension to get at them.

I even had the dynamo pulley explode and try to escape through the bonnet, leaving a big dent outwards and making me think I had been shot!

Blacksheep
29th May 2008, 21:36
...much like a motorbike should be driven.But do you really want a car that handles like a motorbike?

The Spitfire was a Triumph Herald with an imitation sports car body welded onto its floor pan. Now the XK120 was a proper sports car. You were in mortal fear of death from ignition on until you stepped out, knees trembling as though you were up the back lane with Shutt the Slut. Proper sports cars were Jaguars.

Until BMC got hold of them. :(

tinpis
30th May 2008, 05:48
The only thing I was in mortal fear of in my XK 120 was pushing it home
Admittedly it were a tatty one but what Id give to own it now :(

Bushfiva
30th May 2008, 08:10
I rebuilt a TR6 many moons ago. The local Leyland dealer said I could only order spares by part number, and as I didn't have the spares catalogue, I was SOL, snigger snigger. So, I sent him off for a couple of spark plugs, wrote down the part number of his spares catalogue, and bootstrapped from there :-)

Effluent Man
30th May 2008, 09:40
My brother bought an Austin Healey 3000 from a doctor at St.Thomas' in London. It was under a partially collapsed bicycle shed and covered with a tarpaulin.He was asking 395,but the first sentence that came out of his mouth was "But I'll take two fifty".It ended up at 167-10-0 .Brother rebuilt the car from the ground upwards.Six weeks after he finished it his wife was pregnant and he straight swapped it for an Austin A40.

The car seemed fast at the time,figures probably about the same as a Mondeo 2.0 diesel though.More fun to drive though.

G-CPTN
30th May 2008, 10:25
Had a friend whose father was a coal merchant. Father bought a new Austin Healey 3000 MkIII and was occasionally to be seen with a sack in the back seat for a customer who had run out. Son got a (new) Morgan 4/4 . . . however his brothers didn't (they didn't work for the business though).