PDA

View Full Version : Specs to run FS2000, FU3, Fly

airwave
9th Sep 2000, 10:36
Hope someone can be patient with a total novice on advice regarding what specs I should look for when purchasing a new PC to run FS2000, Flight Unlimited 3 and Fly. Can these be successfully installed together or will they use so much memory that I can only run one or two? I am looking for some reasonablly high continuity in the video frames to give a realistic experience.
Many thanks Airwave

MrBernoulli
9th Sep 2000, 13:46
You really want to read the recommended requirements on the sides of the boxes that contain these programs. Then get the best PC that you can afford above and beyond the minimum required.

Alternatively, try the myriad of simulator websites - there are LOADS out there. Suggest you kick-off with:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/fs2000/

spannersatcx
10th Sep 2000, 13:26
Nothing less than a 750mhz CPU with 128mb ram, very large HDD >=20gb and a 32mb 3d card. You can unstall all on the same machine no problem.

Bokkerijder
10th Sep 2000, 14:20
I've got a P166 MMX and 48 MB RAM (just the minimum requirements) and FS2000 flies like cr@p !
I admit that I meet the MINIMUM requirements, but I think it's very misleading that this FS does not work properly on these minimum requirements.
As far as hard-disk space is concerned Microsoft is LYING on the box cover !

On my box it says : "350 MB of available hard-disk space, 365 MB recomended"

During installation I found out that the real requirement is about 875 MB ! Quite a bit more....
I can install it with 'only' 425 MB, but that makes FS2000 even slower than it already is !

I am thinking of getting an AMD 700, 128 MB RAM and a GeForce 256 32MB video card in a few weeks time, so I'll let everyone know how that works.

------------------
¡ Yo quiero Taco Bell !

InFinRetirement
10th Sep 2000, 23:37
I have been running FS2K for nearly a year now, and apart from a HDD problem, not to do with the sim, I have found it perfectly OK.

I have a seperate drive with 6.3gb to run both FS98 and FS2k, there are add-ons that are compatabile and work with each other. I have a Celeron 533, 128mb of RAM, and a G400 Matrox card. Everything works well, but I recently watched a GE Force256 at work and have ordered one. My frame rates on FS98 are 90+ and on FS2k in excess of 35, which is fine. But I want better 3D, GEForce will provide that.

I must say I am curious about the amount of space take up on Bokk's machine, shouldn't be that high. I suggest that you kill it and start over. I have 5.2gb spare with both sims on my hard drive so something is wrong, and that includes quite a few add-ons and panels etc.,

kopbhoy2
11th Sep 2000, 00:19
P3 500, 128 Mb RAM, 32Mb video card. Runs Fs2000 & Fly quite happily, & FS98 like a dream...

Defragment the hard drive regularly though...

Doors to Automatic
12th Sep 2000, 03:58
I would agree with that - thats the minimum spec to run FS2000 realistically.

I run with 700Mhz, 256 RAM and 64MB video card and it runs very smoothly in most areas.

airwave
14th Sep 2000, 11:44
Many thanks for your assistance. Most likely 'I'll be back' !

I can see your house from here...

Bokkerijder
16th Sep 2000, 11:13
Doors to Automatic :

Now YOU'VE got a nice computer !
700 Mhz, 256 MB RAM and 64 MB video....if FS2000 doesn't run exelent on that, it probably never will.

InFinRetirement:

I've tried ro re-install it, but it still takes up that much space. I do have the FS2000 "proffesional (whatever that means) edition."
With Win 98 and some other games, my 2.1 GB HDD is reaching it's limit.

------------------
-) There's a problem in the cockpit.
*) Really, what is it ?
-) It's a little room in front of the airplane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now.