PDA

View Full Version : YIKES - No Passport Only a Visa

Donnabryan
28th May 2008, 18:10
Hello There All,

I'm in the process of getting a Visa that allows me to work (I married a UK Citizen) but am noticing some airlines require a Passport. I'm a US Citizen currently.

Has any one worked with someone that just has a Visa and not a Passport - want to apply to Flybe in particular but will also shoot for Net Jets and Easy Jet.

Thanks,

Donna

chrisbl
28th May 2008, 20:22
A visa gets put in the passport. No passport, no visa.

smith
28th May 2008, 20:45
I think she means UK passport.

Donna

They usually require "the right to live and work in the UK" in the application process, if you have a visa in your US passport that allows this you should be fine, there are loads of yanks working over here.

Tootles the Taxi
28th May 2008, 23:43
Usually an unrestricted passport is required so a US passport should be fine (provided additional travel authority not required outside of the U.K - check http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis ).

Donna, out of curiosity, why would you want to leave a job in the U.S. to move to a place where there aren't many jobs? Can't you convince the 'other half' to move stateside? Surely the quality of life has to be better?

smith
28th May 2008, 23:57
Then maybe a UK or European passport would be more desirable to the airlines as you will have to stand in a different line at immigration to the rest of the crew.

Donnabryan
29th May 2008, 07:35
That puts my mind at ease - Thanks for the help on that.

We love living in Scotland and just trying to get me flying as soon as possible.

Right now in the US my colleagues are having trouble moving up the ladder because we just upped the retirement age to 65 and hiring has slowed way down.

I'm hoping I can knock out these tests - you guys have to really jump through some hoops.

Artificial Horizon
29th May 2008, 09:13
To put your mind at rest I have worked for Flybe and British Airways and at no stage have had a British Passport. I have a 'right to abode' through marriage visa stamped in a foriegn passport. In either interview was never asked specifically if I had a UK passport, just asked if I have the right to live and work in the UK. Certainly with FlyBe you will never go to a destination where a British passport is specifically required. Go for it.

Cheers:ok:

chrisbl
29th May 2008, 19:48
The ride to abode visa is important and since the new regulations came in employers can pick up big fines for employing people who are not eligible to work in the UK even if they believed they were. The level of checking is going up to the extent that even those who have never had to prove their right of abode (native born Brits) are now being required to provide the evidence.

Apparently some jobs worth has decided that asking those that obviously appear or sound foreign to provide evidence whilst not asking those who do not look or sound foreign could be classed as discrimination.