PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Problem

Tosh McCaber
28th May 2008, 17:50
I have a problem with Outlook.

I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Checked my (Pipex) emails in my Inbox on the web whilst |I was away. When I returned home, I went to Send/Receive on Outlook. 5 or 6 incoming emails appeared, then Outlook came up with the message “Outlook has encountered a problem and has to shut down”. I opened Outlook again, pressed Send /Receive, and got duplicates of the same 5-6 emails, then- same message- “Outlook has encountered a problem and has to shut down”. Thereafter, same thing- 3copies of the same few emails! And so on!

Pipex say that there is no problem at their end.

Other than re-installing Outlook, anyone any thoughts on what’s gone wrong, and, more importantly, is there a fix??

Tocsin
28th May 2008, 18:35
If you use the web access again (was it mail2web ?) you may be able to pin down the email that is causing the problem, and delete it. At least, you will be able to retrieve the content of the important ones.

Spitoon
28th May 2008, 18:47
No idea whether this will work but you could try setting up your Pipex account in Outlook Express - maybe it will enable you to download the present queue. If it works you can always import the messages into Outlook later if you want to.

Also, if you use Norton....had similar problems and it was down to Norton - although Outlook did not shut down. Can't remember whether it was AV, Firewall or IS. Switching it off didn't solve the problem, it had to be completely uninstalled. Symantec denied all knowledge and said it was a MS problem, Pipex blamed Symantec. Reinstalled Norton and the problem came back and then cleared after the next update.

Hope this helps.

Pontius Navigator
28th May 2008, 19:39
Agree with Tocsin. There is probably an error in the email around 5 or 6 in your server in box.

Tosh McCaber
28th May 2008, 22:16
Thanks, tried deleting all spam via my webmail Pipex link around the time of the blockage- unfortunately- no joy.

Bushfiva
29th May 2008, 07:21
You could select "work with headers" -> "download headers from..." to get the email headers, and if that works, delete what you believe to be the offending email on the server.

Tosh McCaber
29th May 2008, 19:48
Thanks all- found the problem- an over exuberent Kaspersky anti spam filter. Switched it off for a fe moments- pressed Send/ Receive, and my last week's emails started flowing in. Switched Kaspersky back on , and all is back to normal.

Still don't know why Kaspersky chose to stop my emails, though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tosh