PDA

View Full Version : At 39 is it too late to change career ?

A6EFQ
28th May 2008, 14:03
Hello Everybody,

Have been in IT for the last 12 years. Flying was a dream & only realized in the last 2 years, while I worked & lived in Dubai. Did some weekend flying & have logged 50hrs on the Piper PA28. Now having moved to France to join my wife, I am passionate about going commerical. Have saved some money. Flying is expensive in Europe. And there are language issues too..( I speak English)Thinking of going to Canada / US. Will be 40yrs later this year.At my age is it too late / have I missed the bus, to take up flying as a career ? Appreciate any feedback.

Villager

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th May 2008, 17:58
When my wife and I were in New Zealand last year we visited a flying school where they were charging just over £30 oer hour dual on modern training aircraft! It's probably much dearer now - up around £35 wouldn't surpise me!

fdcg27
31st May 2008, 18:05
You get only one run through this life, so I don't think you are too old to change careers. You have only to look within yourself, and decide whether you really want to do a pilot's work, or whether you are merely thinking that the grass is greener on that side of the fence. Soloing even a light single is a great experience, as is flight in general. Don't generalize that feeling to proffesional flying, without doing a little research.
There are numerous sites out there, other than this one, with many threads by both career pilots and wannabes. You should spend some time looking at the experiences of others before you decide to jump. If you realize and are willing to accept the risks and the challenge, and you can afford the inevitable drop in income, then go for it.

Midland 331
1st Jun 2008, 16:50
I'd recommend spending some time reading entries on this site over a period of time. They are quite revealing.

Having done this for a few years, and, before that, having worked in the business on the commercial side, I must say that say that commercial airline flying would not now figure on my list of desired careers. Besides that, I'm 47 and now too old anyway... :-)

I discern too many subtle commercial pressures, both in rostering and operations. Sure, they have always been there to some extent, but the whole business has become sharper, generally not for the better. My roots go back to 1965, thanks to a number of family members being in the industry.

Many folks have asked me in the past why I didn't take a change in career direction. I reply that flying is like a drug habit (I imagine..), Addictive, expensive, and anti-social.

I used to jump-seat a lot when I was in the business, and have a vivid memory of a young Midland DC9 F/O reflecting in an unguarded moment that "It's a mug's game, this flying lark". It stuck with me.

If you fall victim to "press-on-itis" after a six-sector duty, land long in marginal conditions, and end up on the grass, then the fingers are only going to point in one direction, despite all the subtle surrounding contributory factors...

Apologies for the gloomy cynicism. I'm in telecoms recycling, working for myself, having a ball, have no-one looking over my shoulder, and no heavy responsibility, certainly not 130 punters and £2M worth of metal.

Corporate life truly sucks these days - I meet increasing numbers of it's victims. And flight deck folks often cop the worst end of its nastiness.

greggx101
4th Jun 2008, 09:53
Theres loads of info on these forums to that age old question.

Depends what you define ""flying as a career"" - if you imagine working for a major airline flying a new shiny jet i would forget it and save your money.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51690

duveldrinker
4th Jun 2008, 10:35
People have a tendency to regret things they haven“t done, so I should say GO.

I got my first fulltime flying job (FI) also only last year at the age of 39.

Just perhaps first get the finances ready before taking the leap.

IrishJetdriver
5th Jun 2008, 11:08
I got 1st job in feb01 (fortunately) at age 36. The airlines are in turmoil but there is still recruitment. As the turmoil is fuel related and not demand related I hope it will be a shorter term dip. If u are going to go for it, you must be very certain that it is very expensive, and can be depressing at times........but........once you make....yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa !!!!!!

I would suggest that before you spend any money at all you get a class 1 medical certificate because if you fail it you won't be given the opportunity to go any further with your desired career.

The amount of learning can appear formidable but if you're interested in it it isn't so bad. Your family must understand the full impact of your new career as you may have to move to get a job and of course there are financial considerations. My wife was aware as she could be but there were still aspects that surprised her (and me) later. I remember she said that once I qualified she would not move to Northern Ireland if I got a job based there. During 2 years I was looking for a job she said she might move there.....guess what? We spent 3 of the best years ever based in Belfast.