PDA

View Full Version : Me Grandma died.

Buster Hyman
28th May 2008, 12:54
:(

Just last night. A good innings of 105, two cards from Betty I might add...a good ol' sort my Grandma.

Lived through some of the hardest times such as two world wars, the blitz, Liverpool winning cups & the depression...never complained. She always thought the greatest invention throughout her life was electricity...(perhaps discovery of how to harness it is what she meant)

Anyway, dutiful Grandson looks like he'll be representing the colonial expeditioners at the funeral, so, who flies from LHR to LPL these days? Can't get flights to MAN direct it seems, so if I have to go to LHR, I'd rather make my next stop my destination.

Future 737NG pic(?)
28th May 2008, 13:10
My condolences Buster. Having lost my own Grandma relatively recently, I can empathise. I recommend reminding yourself of all the fond memories you have, it helps.

I'm afraid that there are no flights to Liverpool ex-London full stop. It will have to be a flight to MAN, or surface travel direct to Liverpool.
The simplest surface method maybe taking a Virgin Bus from LHR to Watford Jcn and taking the train direct to Lime St.

Its never nice trying to organise travel arrangements for such an event. Best of luck.

redsnail
28th May 2008, 13:17
My condolences.

Dunno what to say. I lost Grandpa recently and can understand your pain.
Take care of yourself. :suspect:

BlueDiamond
28th May 2008, 13:20
Sorry to hear that, Buster. 105 years, what a remarkable lifespan!

Whirlygig
28th May 2008, 13:23
Sincere sympathies Buster. 105 is a lot of years and living for you and your family to celebrate.

Take care

Whirls

Effluent Man
28th May 2008, 13:28
Sorry to hear that,..Speaking of Grandpa's, a few years back I had to have a medical for a life insurance policy.

After the usual prodding and poking the quack asked "Have any of your immediate relatives died at an early age?". I thought,best be honest about this and replied "Yes my grandad died very suddenly at the age of 36"

The quack got very interested and demanded all the details "He sailed into a mine" I said.

Buster Hyman
28th May 2008, 13:31
Thank you all.

I guess this is the time you start thinking of regrets, such as maybe I should've taken the young-uns to see her etc, but what is done, is done.

My cousin was with her at the precise moment & has told us that she sighed twice, and was gazing into the distance with a calm smile on her face....what a classy way to go. I hope I can go like that. No pain at all.

Years ago I flew a BM F27 up from LHR to Speke, as I still refer to it! I thought one of these "Johnny come lately" el cheapo airlines might be running that leg, but I guess it's all from Luton etc. Might as well catch the bus & train as you say F737pic.:ok:

Edit: lol EM!:D

S'land
28th May 2008, 13:32
Sincerest condolences BH. Nothing really that one can say at a time like this. As you say, 105 signifies a good innings. Interesting that having lived through some very hard times she did not complain. They built 'em tough in those days.

G-CPTN
28th May 2008, 13:47
There are also inter-airport connections by coach (National Express) although it does take time:- http://www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm?id=130637975

Effluent Man
28th May 2008, 13:56
Thanks BH, I wasn't certain that it was appropriate to introduce levity,but when I saw the Scouse connection I thought it might get a laugh.

brockenspectre
28th May 2008, 14:01
Dear Buster - so sorry to hear your news. To have lived such a long and full life must have been an amazing experience - y'all should try and compile an anecdote book of te stories she would tell you etc... not right away but deffo as something for future generations.

As for getting to Liverpool. quickest will be the Heathrow Express from Heathrow itself to London Paddington and thence to Liverpool... this link, for Trainline gives good info (I have never pre-bought tickets though but others probably have) :ok:

http://thetrainline.com (http://thetrainline.com)

luv brockie

Foss
28th May 2008, 14:03
Very sorry to hear that Buster, good that someone was with her.

djk
28th May 2008, 14:07
Deepest sympathies, Buster.
105 is one heck of a good innings.

1DC
28th May 2008, 14:12
Condolences Buster..
Last time number 2 daughter came home from Oz she bought the train tickets at her local travel agent before she travelled and saved a lot of money.
Kindest regards, 1DC..

Buster Hyman
28th May 2008, 15:02
Thanks again all.:)

EM, she enjoyed a larff & at 105, every day was a bonus.

G. Crickey! 8hrs on a bus to Liverpool! Wouldn't that give people too much time to change their mind?;)

Brockie. I keep getting errors with that site when looking for Heathrow as a starting point. I shall persevere though.

1DC. Yes, I've used the BritRail passes before. I shall investigate if I have the time to get one organised locally.:ok:

Phew! One heck of a day.

I was getting text & phone messages all the way to work on the train this morning & to cap all this off, there was a loud bang on the train & all the power went off! This was in the City Loop (MEL underground, tube, subway, metro, etc) We waited sometime before power was restored & the driver got on the PA to tell us he'd just put a fire out under the train!!! "What the??? Thanks for the early warning chief!!!":eek: (He did the right thing I suppose)

ABX
28th May 2008, 15:28
My sincere condolences Buster, I lost my gran just over a year ago, at age 91. She considered that she'd had a good innings by about 80ish and, to her, every extra day was a bonus.

I found that a few quiet tears in her memory was good for the soul, now I have many happy memories of her. (This also helped me give my best during the delivery of her eulogy.)

My great grandmother died in the early 1980s, at 98 years of age, having lived through an incredible era, she often talked about how she had seen the horse and buggy days, through to cars, electricity and man-on-the-moon. It truly is amazing how the world has changed in the last century.

All the best mate, have a good trip and enjoy the family reunion.

ABX

Effluent Man
28th May 2008, 15:45
BH..Wife's gran hit the deck in 2002,at 102.She lived in Cronton just off the M62,maybe the Mersey air keeps them going. It was at her diamond wedding party in April 1983 that someone said "But Frank" (her eldest) "Is sixty in September"...........

Snappybits
28th May 2008, 16:04
105 Buster that's an amazing length of time to live.......May she rest in peace.....
Hugs Snappy

brockenspectre
28th May 2008, 18:34
Buster - you don't need to put in LHR to start.. your London/Liverpool journey is the one you want to look for on the Trainline, starting from London Paddington. The Heathrow Express is a frequently running service ONLY between LHR and London Paddington stations... I think it is every 15mins and takes about the same length of time. So all you need do is head to the lifts (elevators?) in the terminal and go down to the Heathrow Express station. The train arrives in the mainline station of London Paddington and you will only need to find your new platform to make the change to the London/Liverpool train :) Sorry for any confusion.

Krystal n chips
28th May 2008, 18:57
Buster,

Sorry to hear about your Gran....on the other hand....105yrs on planet Earth must be worth a celebration !

As for LHR to Liverpool.....just get the Tube and head for Euston...then direct Virgin Westcoast to Liverpool Slime Street Station. Watch what (overpriced ! ) fare they try and flog you however....some bargains around but you will have to search for them.....book in advance if you can.

Might be even cheaper to get to Manchester Piccadilly and then coach to Liverpool...about 1hr subject to traffic on the M62....which can be s£$t btw. Coach station is about a 10 min walk from Piccadilly

BombayDuck
28th May 2008, 19:46
Condolences to you, Buster. Must have been one heck of a lady!

VAFFPAX
28th May 2008, 20:05
Buster, my condolences to you and your family.

My 99 year-old granddad packed it in earlier this month and he was arguably the stronger of the couple. He and his wife celebrated their platinum anniversary last year, where he confessed that it was time to check out and go for eternal rest.

It is tough, although in a way I have my work to keep me occupied. No doubt the message will soon flash up on my mobile that my grandma has also called it a day...

Your grandma sounds like a fantastic woman to have known.

S.

Buster Hyman
29th May 2008, 00:28
Ok, thanks Brockie...I'll have another crack at it. Do they run from Paddington? As Krystal mentioned, Euston I think is where I've travelled from before, but its been a few years since my last visit to Blighty.

Thanks again all. She was very special to us & well loved in the family. I know some people on Pprune get a bit bent out of shape regarding condolence threads/posts, but I very much appreciate all your kind words.:ok:

Effluent Man
29th May 2008, 09:38
BH Paddington only goes west,Devon,Cornwall,Wales etc. I think the reference was the LHR connection.You do need Euston for Liverpool.It's only a short run round the Circle line.

VAFFPAX
29th May 2008, 11:34
Paddington connects to Virgin XC via Reading (Reading, Birmingham, Liverpool - two changes). But Effluent Man is correct in saying that the most efficient connection to Liverpool (direct) is via Euston on Virgin WC.

S.

west lakes
29th May 2008, 11:52
LHR - Liverpool

Virgin Trains cover mosty of the journey
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/default.aspx

Two route choices, LHR -Paddington the London UnderGround to Euston for Liverpool

Or

LHR, bus from T1,2,3 or 4 to Watford Junction (just under 1 hr) then to Liverpool.

The site will accept LHR (enter as Heathrow) as departure point and will then give a choice of rail or bus

Howard Hughes
29th May 2008, 12:36
Sincere condolences Buster, I'd give you a hug, but knowing you it would be misconstrued...;)

Buster Hyman
29th May 2008, 14:01
Thanks Westie, I'll have a look at them as well.

Aww Howard...come here ya big pooftah!!!!:O

brockenspectre
29th May 2008, 20:59
Buster - please do what the norverners say... I was just trying to be of help but as I haven't made the train trip to L'pool you should deffo take their advice...I just use Trainline to get info. I can, however, confirm that the nicest, quickest and best way to get from LHR to London Paddington is Heathrow Express!! Glad others with more info have chipped in!

What was your grandma's name? And... what is the day of her funeral? I shall raise a glass in her memory and light a candle.

Some say parky bo11ox has made me more sentimental... I say it has just given me more time to realise what matters :ok:

Safe journey :ok:

barry lloyd
29th May 2008, 21:15
Buster:

Even though you're an Evertonian, It's only right that I offer condolences:)When you get to Slime Street, suggest you take a cab, unless you're being collected. The place has changed so much that a couple of weeks away is enough to get lost these days. Did the Heathrow-Watford bus connection twice in Feb. It worked fine. Hope all goes well.

G-CPTN
29th May 2008, 21:23
Heathrow Express is expensive:-
As of 2007, it costs around £15.50 for a single journey in standard class and around £24.50 for first class.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Express

and:- Please note: From 1 June 2008 the Watford to Heathrow Virgin Trainsí Express Coach service will be withdrawn. From this date the service to Heathrow will be provided through Greenline Service 724.
(from:- http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/buy_tickets/travel_connections/airport_links/default.aspx )

SOTV
29th May 2008, 21:39
Buster, condolences on the loss. I would loved to have a chat with her. So many memories.

For the travel:

Get to Marylebone, use this website - https://kiosk4.ts.com/k?v=chilternrailsms to book a single to Birmingham Moor St (ticket txd to your mobile) for between £5/£15, short stroll to New St and the fast local to Liverpool for about £11 - http://www.londonmidland.com/index.php/cms/pages/home.

It avoids the scrum at Euston and the laughably high fares charged by Virmin West Coast.

Safe journey.

VAFFPAX
29th May 2008, 21:49
I think the RailAir bus between LHR and Reading Station is not all that cheap either, but at least you get straight to the station, similar to the Virgin Express bus between Watford Junction and LHR.

S.

airship
29th May 2008, 23:00
I often wonder if anything would have turned out differently if I'd had a grandma. Or both a grandpa and grandma, even 2 of each of them. Never had any real aunts or uncles either. Well, there was Uncle John and Auntie Ija (my best friends' parents) and they had a grandma. She had an imposing chauffeur-driven Wolseley and her real grandkids and I would sometimes be collected after school by her and treated to ice-cream on the way home. I think she passed away when I was about 7 or 8. She was the closest I ever came to having a real grandma I guess, apart from my mother-in-law (my older sister's husband's mother?) who once tucked me into bed upon arriving in UK in 1969, assuring me that there were no man-eating leopards in Seaford so I needn't go around checking that all the windows were properly closed. As fate goes, my sister eventually got divorced and I lost all contact with that grandma (and grandpa).

How can you 'lose' someone you never had in the first place? More poignantly perhaps, why should you 'miss' them later? But I do nevertheless.

Anyway, Big hug for the 'Prooner of the year nominee 2005' was it? :)

G-CPTN
29th May 2008, 23:11
I often wonder if anything would have turned out differently if I'd had a grandma. Or both a grandpa and grandma, even 2 of each of them. Never had any real aunts or uncles either.:confused:

Buster Hyman
29th May 2008, 23:53
Thanks for all the advice folks. Lots to sort through, which is good, plenty of options.:ok:

I'm flying out tomorrow (31st) on CX and Brockie, the funeral is on Tuesday, Sarah Davis. Enjoy your glass for I shall be having one or two myself! The wake is being held at one of my cousins' husbands bars at the Albert Dock!!! I should have paid more attention to how they were travelling!!!:ooh: