PDA

View Full Version : EU Parliament versus Freedom and Democracy

alwayzinit
28th May 2008, 12:39
Have just seen in the papers that the present President of EU Commission has warned Eire that a "No" vote will have dire consequences for the Republic.
On top of that the EU Parliament are going to make it next to impossible for any group or individual with differing views to the "party line" to speak or even ask questions.
"Democracy in our time"?:eek:
Maybe Mr Orwell was right. Prepare to stand by the barricades boys!
Alwayz

BBE777
28th May 2008, 12:47
holy crapy!!

Let me inform myself about that... need to know more:eek:

tony draper
28th May 2008, 12:50
Good grief ! I think the man should be killed at once, see to it Moriarty.:)

Binoculars
28th May 2008, 15:06
That "Freedom and Democracy" with the white hat on would no doubt be the same one every second Ppruner from England is bitching incessantly about, then?

corsair
28th May 2008, 16:03
Have just seen in the papers that the present President of EU Commission has warned Eire that a "No" vote will have dire consequences for the Republic.

What? Are they going to invade? Should I dig out my old uniform and report to the army barracks?

I was going to vote yes on the basis that all the no campaigners are lunatics, former terrorists, lefties, and religious nuts. Now I'm curious. I might want to vote no just to find out the consequnces.

Really, the president should be a little more careful. No one likes having foreigners telling them what to do. Better to keep quiet. This referendum could go either way yet.

Life's a Beech
28th May 2008, 16:49
Corsair

Why does it matter who campaigns for "no"? Isn't that a completely irrational reason for voting "yes"? In fact it is very like the campaign for the "yes" vote, which is only saying that the concerns of the "no" campaign are being addressed, they give no actual reason for voting "yes".

Do you not have your own reasons for voting? Are you associating your vote with the campaigners trying to win it, rather than trying to decide for yourself?

I believe that the rational case is for a "no" vote, but that case does not depend on me being a lunatic or not, a terrorist or not, a leftie or not etc. The veracity of the case does not depend on who makes it, but on the quality of the arguments behind that case.

Rightbase
28th May 2008, 22:26
Hmmm

Methinks signing up to an organisation that has that sort of leader would be asking to be bullied for ever more.

In my experience, the best way to stop a bully is to deny him what he wants. The other strategy never works.

So it's a no vote then.

tony draper
28th May 2008, 22:46
Well the Irish have a unique way of organising referenda,they just keep repeating them until the folks say yes.
:)

mini
28th May 2008, 23:46
Too true Mr Draper.

Maybe its time to cool a few heels, nobody here understands Lisbon, tis time to stand on some tails IMHO.

brickhistory
29th May 2008, 01:04
Ya know, there are alternatives.

It's been a while since my government classes, but I believe an application from a territory containing at least 50,000 people can apply to join the Union.

If ratified by a majority (2/3's?) of the Congress, said applicant can start the process towards statehood.

There's even a precedent for an independent nation to join the Union. Texas - 1845-ish.

Come on over, the water's fine.

Of course, you'll have to get guns. You've already got some fine drink.

tony draper
29th May 2008, 02:39
I for one would be more than happy if we did so Mr H, not much wrong wi a country that can land chaps on the moon build aircraft like the Mustang and B52 and make programs like Family Guy.
Remember the Alamo! yeeehaaaa!!:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
29th May 2008, 08:07
Family Guy? Thought that was Canuckistani.

Beatriz Fontana
29th May 2008, 08:39
Dire consequences? What can Brussels do? Force Eire to host the Eurovision Song Contest every three years AND submit an entry?

Send the fishing boats round to blockade a few French harbours, that'll teach 'em!

Pinky the pilot
29th May 2008, 08:50
Once read an el cheapo paperback fiction about a future United States of Europe which had turned into a hostile dictatorship bent on World domination.

Of course it could never happen now, could it?:oh::hmm::ooh: